collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Duckmen1 season thread  (Read 17778 times)

Offline 270Shooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Duckmen1 season thread
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 10:24:38 PM »
I don't know anyone that shoots "Hollywoods" aka spoonbill/shoveler on purpose. Now I've never shot a merganser or eaten one so I don't know how they taste. The people I've hunted with over the years in Eastern WA. would not shoot them as they referred to them as a "POS" and not worth eating.
Someday I would like to harvest a mature fully plumed drake Shoveler for the wall.
I've seen lots of photos with shovelers being affected with rice breast.
I've been known to wack a bootlip or two but I seldom do anymore. I remember a few years ago we hunted a spot that was just covered in them and we shot mostly spooners for a couple hunts. I've still never shot a good drake though. I can't say I've even had one come into the decoys this year, seems to be more mallards than ever for me this season.

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 10:27:07 PM »
I actually really enjoy targeting shovelers getting them as there Decoying in. They decoy a little different then most ducks and there's just something about them that I like. As far as rice breast it has never been an issue for us. Never seen them with it. Now as far as taste of the different ducks I soak my meat overnight and it draws a lot of the blood out which makes the meat a milder flavor. I mix all the duck together and then mix an equal amount of elk or deer burger with and then make salami for sandwhiches. That's my favorite way of doing it.  If I was to cook it differently I would probably pass on different kinds of ducks like mergansers. Because I don't consider myself Lokidog quality chef. :chuckle:
But that puts my season total of ducks at 40 so far. Haven't put in as much time as I normally do but still getting out little bits here and there.
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline BiggLuke

• Grouse Hunting Enthusiast
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
  • This site is very amusing
  • Groups: DU, NRA, Ruffed Grouse Society, Costal Conservation Society
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 08:08:51 PM »
Yeah man... I dig the field photo    :tup:
Stan Marsh: "My Uncle Jimbo says we gotta get up there early. Right Uncle Jimbo?"

Jimbo: "That's right, Stanley. Animals are much easier to shoot in the morning."

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 09:14:58 PM »
I actually really enjoy targeting shovelers getting them as there Decoying in. They decoy a little different then most ducks and there's just something about them that I like. As far as rice breast it has never been an issue for us. Never seen them with it. Now as far as taste of the different ducks I soak my meat overnight and it draws a lot of the blood out which makes the meat a milder flavor. I mix all the duck together and then mix an equal amount of elk or deer burger with and then make salami for sandwhiches. That's my favorite way of doing it.  If I was to cook it differently I would probably pass on different kinds of ducks like mergansers. Because I don't consider myself Lokidog quality chef. :chuckle:
But that puts my season total of ducks at 40 so far. Haven't put in as much time as I normally do but still getting out little bits here and there.

I'll take that as a compliment.  Maybe saltwater fish ducks taste better?  If you want to save Mergansers for me for next summer's BBQ get-together, I'd be more than happy to turn them into Salsbury steak.   :tup:

Nice birds stacking up.

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 12:48:35 PM »
Yes that was a compliment lokidog.
Took a mid day trip to a couple different areas yesterday got two jump shooting then one decoying. Made a great stalk a on the mallards and a great shot on the teal.
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 12:53:07 PM »
Nice.

Offline irishevox

• Sourdough
  • Groups: n/a
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 06:35:55 AM »
really nice... pretty drake teal!
Member:  YKWTSASFFRO (The young Buck)

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 07:00:23 PM »
 Very slow day. Nothing flying. Sat over decoys for hours then had to get a little success jump shootingNot the greatest pic. Weather got the best of me. Just wanted to head home and go bowling at basspro. :chuckle: sucked at that too. But my best game was a 172. Over all fun day anyhow
Season total so far
Ducks44
Geese6

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2014, 07:51:15 PM »
Well it was a really good day on the water. I shot at 8 birds and got 7. The one I missed was because I shot at a pair. Hit the first one and swung to shoot the second. Ended up hitting the first one again by accident as it fell right into my line of fire. :chuckle:  Got 4 mallards and three teal. Brother got 4 mallards a 2 teal and a bufflehead. And brought a buddy out getting him into duck hunting. He got 6 buffleheads and a hooded merganser. His shooting really started picking up as the day went on and that just so happens to be when the divers started flying and puddlers quit. He was really happy to have such a great day. Wish I could have gotten better field picks but dealing with water levels changing we quickly ran out of land as soon as the last bird was shot so no time to get pics until we were back in the truck.

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2014, 07:52:33 PM »
So it was a good 3 man limit. My only complaint was hitting two mallard hens off the start then having mallards cupping in all morning but due to light conditions and being straight over head I was having a hard time telling drakes from the hens so had to keep passing to be on the safe side. So settled with 3 little jets.  :chuckle:

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2014, 11:18:26 AM »
Well last night I decided to go hit up a spot I normally jump shoot. This time I had planned to get out there before light and set a few decoys. As I'm carrying decoys and float tube as well as all my gear about 20 minutes before light I'm getting up to my spot. I see some clump in the water that looked outa place. Geese. Dropped down and loaded up with bigger shells and tried to get into position for first light.  Can't believe they didn't see me. Got set up hoping they would stay in the area. Few minutes before first light they started swimming even closer feeding. Waited for legal light and then some to see better. At this point they were 30 yards. So I jumped them and ended up with a triple. Then set up my decoys. 2 ringnecks landed to my right. Not coming in and diving where they were I decided to stalk those too. Jumped them and 2 shots and 2 birds fell. Later decided to walk around because I was not seeing anything. I spotted a flock of widgeon. Made a stalk got to 45 yards. An eagle spooked them and then they came back. Another flock landed way out and the eagle began to go after my flock again this time it looked like they were gonna leave for good so I shot and got one widgeon hen. Then things died so went to scout and see what was going on elsewhere. So much for doing a decoy hunt. Ended with a jump shoot again. :chuckle: good morning over all

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2014, 02:13:39 PM »
"Good morning overall."  I'd say!!

Awesome!

Offline irishevox

• Sourdough
  • Groups: n/a
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2014, 07:19:37 AM »
very nice... I need to get out and shoot some honkers I have been slacking this season, the swans have over run the farm I have access to hunt and I think the Honkers are staying clear!  not really sure though.
Member:  YKWTSASFFRO (The young Buck)

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2014, 01:22:24 PM »
Limit outa the layout boat. First time this season using it so coulda shot better. But started off with a triple on ol hollywoods.  :chuckle:
Coulda waited to finish a puddler limit but loki inspired me to wipe out the fish eater :chuckle:

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2014, 08:56:46 PM »
 :tup:

Save those fisheaters for me and bring them to the summer BBQ, I'd like to cook up a big batch of Salsburey Merganser.  I haven't been able to shoot any in a while.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]