collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Button bucks  (Read 10043 times)

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Button bucks
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 09:56:25 AM »
So, 2014 rules page 18 under " Any buck "......Any deer with visible ANTLERS may be taken ( fawns illegal ).

My entire life a button buck has been a fawn buck with the  pedicle visible just above the hair line , and NOT a legal buck by the game laws. 

I think what was seen was sibling fawns, one doe and one buck.......explaining the size difference.

If it was a spike, great!!       :twocents:

Offline Mike450r

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 10:02:25 AM »
I am talking about the year and a half bucks that only have a button of bone.  Same age and size body as the spike with  4 to 6 inch spikes but just not growing any bone.   And I am not advocating shooting them but rather saying they are legal.

There are quite a few of those out there.   I am not talking about the fawn as shown above that just has bumps on it's head and is 5 month old.

Offline buckfvr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 10:16:09 AM »
Read the regs.....no antler, no shoot...........in over 40 yrs of hunting, never seen an 18 month old with only its pedicles........not saying impossible, as it may have been a result of a very late bred doe, but the fact remains, its illegal.

Offline Mike450r

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 10:24:57 AM »
Read the regs.....no antler, no shoot...........in over 40 yrs of hunting, never seen an 18 month old with only its pedicles........not saying impossible, as it may have been a result of a very late bred doe, but the fact remains, its illegal.

In 40 years of hunting or just being out in the woods I have seen several every year which equals well over a hundred in that time period and every one was legal in an any buck area.  If it has bone its legal, no size requirement just has to be visible.  If it is still covered by hair it's a fawn and illegal.

Offline sirmissalot

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
    • chadpburgess@faceboo​k.com
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 10:29:42 AM »
Apparently there are different interpretations of what a button buck is. To me if it has visible bone its a spike... I have seen one that just looked like it had the pedicles of a spike

Offline buckfvr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 10:46:45 AM »
Pedicle and antlers are not the same..............look it up.

Offline sirmissalot

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
    • chadpburgess@faceboo​k.com
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2014, 11:02:17 AM »

You're right. I used the wrong terminology. I was speaking of the base of the antler or the burr.

Offline Mike450r

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2014, 11:09:10 AM »

ok,  now I got what you were saying.  I am simply trying to help people who would shoot a small deer understand what is legal and help with the difference between fawn and yearling.  I have never referred to the fawns as buttons because they were nothing more than hair covered bumps (pedicles)

Offline oldleclercrd

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2014, 11:43:26 AM »
I'll add this pic because you can see the nubbs pretty clear. Sounds like the WDFW needs to clarify. I personally wouldn't shoot one just because the meat wouldn't amount to much.
Aim small, miss small.

Offline RB

• Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2014, 12:33:17 PM »
Definition on page 16 of regulations:

Any Buck/Bull: Only Deer/Elk with visible antlers may be taken (Fawns/Calves illegal). Visible antler is horn-like growth projecting above the hairline.

It is up to each individual to decide if they want to harvest a small Buck or not. If it were not for small bucks most kids and a lot of adults would not harvest and animal.  :twocents:
IAFF #3728

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2014, 01:13:12 PM »
Definition on page 16 of regulations:

Any Buck/Bull: Only Deer/Elk with visible antlers may be taken (Fawns/Calves illegal). Visible antler is horn-like growth projecting above the hairline.

It is up to each individual to decide if they want to harvest a small Buck or not. If it were not for small bucks most kids and a lot of adults would not harvest and animal.  :twocents:

Key words here --- (Fawns/Calves illegal). ----Button Bucks are fawns therefore NOT legal..
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline LeviD1

• Scout
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery, Spokane Rifle Club, RMEF
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2014, 01:16:55 PM »
To junkie. You can get mad all you want. The picture you posted is this years fawn and in no way 150 lbs. Im all for teaching you son about hunting. Marksmanship can be taught not on baby deer. That deer just got done sucking on boob a couple months ago. Personally i wouldn't teach anyone to shoot fawns. Hunting is also about patience and not always harvesting an animal. When i started hunting, I didn't shoot my first deer for a couple years. I was with my dad and we saw animals but just didn't have a good opportunity for a shot. I still had a blast being out with my dad and to this day we hunt all season together. Neither of us have shot deer in 3 years. My opportunity to harvest a deer last year came the last hour of the last day and it was a yearling in a unit for any deer. Did I shoot, no cause I would rather have that deer have a chance to grow up and make more baby deer. We obviously have 2 different outlooks on hunting.

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2014, 01:27:26 PM »
:yeah:

I agree completely. A button buck is this years fawn, they are tiny.

But tasty!

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2014, 07:45:49 AM »
To junkie. You can get mad all you want. The picture you posted is this years fawn and in no way 150 lbs. Im all for teaching you son about hunting. Marksmanship can be taught not on baby deer. That deer just got done sucking on boob a couple months ago. Personally i wouldn't teach anyone to shoot fawns. Hunting is also about patience and not always harvesting an animal. When i started hunting, I didn't shoot my first deer for a couple years. I was with my dad and we saw animals but just didn't have a good opportunity for a shot. I still had a blast being out with my dad and to this day we hunt all season together. Neither of us have shot deer in 3 years. My opportunity to harvest a deer last year came the last hour of the last day and it was a yearling in a unit for any deer. Did I shoot, no cause I would rather have that deer have a chance to grow up and make more baby deer. We obviously have 2 different outlooks on hunting.

not mad at all you wear that jacket just fine.

I never posted any pics.

all I asked is if it was legal.  some people think I care about there opinions.  Seems mighty rude and self entitled of you.  The spikes I've seen are the same size if not some times smaller.  They're probably 18 months and just have a small nub.  I was just clarifying. 

Offline RB

• Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2014, 02:20:13 PM »
I'll add this pic because you can see the nubbs pretty clear. Sounds like the WDFW needs to clarify. I personally wouldn't shoot one just because the meat wouldn't amount to much.

The picture of this Deer is by definition a legal deer in an any buck unit because:

A- It meets the requirement of a "Horn like growth projecting above the hairline" Which makes it a Buck.

B- It does not meet the antler-less definition because of A.

I personally would let this guy walk and know others would not
IAFF #3728

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]