collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: I hate to open this can again but.....  (Read 74336 times)

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
Re: I hate to open this can again but.....
« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2014, 05:52:07 AM »
What they are referring to is the late archery mule deer hunt in 209 and 215 in Nov...there is a outfitter that baits them and does well..there has been several hunting shows filmed there

Thank you for that clarification.  Surprised with a success rate like that on mature bucks I'd never heard of them.  Figured the poster must have been talking about another state.  Just wanted to better understand.  Appreciated!

A lot more than just that. Several other open GMU's. It's not just the outfitters those of us that are concerned about, it's all the others that feel it necessary to drive off roads tipping over bins is apples and leaving behind the thousands of apple brand stickers that litter the landscape. To make the accusations that those of us that are concerned are jealous of the success is comical, yet understandable. There are a bunch of those who are jealous for the wrong reasons though and have started the practices themselves: go to any extreme to kill a trophy regardless of what they leave behind or trash. Kill off a high percentage of the migrated in mature bucks and look what it does to the herd health and quality......sure seems to be a lot of posts the last few years about seeing less bucks hanging in camps all around this region. Coincidence in certain areas rather than the poor season dates and predation,  I think so. I also think it's too bad for the vast majority of guys who enjoy the baiting style are being affected by a select few that have taken what could be a great hunting strategy to a whole other detrimental level. As I'll say again, a few simple modifications to the rule is all that I feel is necessary,  not a complete ban by any means.

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2014, 07:48:33 AM »
It is just my thinking, but I do not believe baiting is causing a problem or killing to many deer, so what is it the WDFW is trying to accomplish?
What is the reasoning or justification for the ban?

Another concern is how the ban (if implemented) is worded.
The consequences of the trapping ban went way to far because of the wording in the bill. Moles? Seriously?
Can you imagine if they worded a bating ban ruling like the worded the trapping bill?
We would not be able to hunt anywhere near winter feeding grounds, alfalfa fields, or CRP land?

Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline UptheCreek

• Scout
« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2014, 08:01:13 AM »
It will change the way I hunt for sure, and I know it will for many other bow hunters that hunt late season mountain whitetails.  It is a joke to think that it is a slam dunk to kill a big mature whitetail using bait.  It is just another option to help increase the chances for a successful hunt.  The majority of those that hunt this way also use calls, mock scrapes, scents, scent free clothes, and put in hours and hours of scouting to find a potiential area for a shooter buck.  It has already been stated a few times, but I know much of this has to do with jealousy and a holier than thou attitude which is totally rediculous.  If this goes through, I would have to think that archery seasons would have to be lengthened to help out the bowhunters even come close to having a chance to harvest a mature whitetail in many units.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #138 on: October 30, 2014, 08:24:04 AM »
Here we go again. For me personally, I don't care because I don't bait. My stats will back me up!  :chuckle: But I did support keeping it with the rules questionnaire thingy we filled out. I support all legal hunting and don't support the reduction of opportunity or hunting methods unless indicated by scientific analysis.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline TommyH

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2014, 08:54:38 AM »
My grandfather is in his upper 70s, he is the hardest working man I have ever known. We hunted togather a lot in the past, his legs don't work as well anymore and he has not hunted the last couple years. He  takes my grandmother to dialysis every other day. His time available to hunt is little to none. This year I was excited when he said he wanted to try to sit somewhere and get some meat in the freezer. We went out and built a bench and a rest, under some firs. We built this a short walk from the road, so he and or my young kids could make it. I planned on sitting with him and recording our hunt togather. You never know how much time you have with your loved ones. I had showed him pics of some bucks and does that had been coming in. I could tell he was getting excited, as was I. I put a bucket of apples out in hopes of any legal deer coming in when he was there. He hunted there any chance he could when he was not taking care of my grandma. 6-7 trips out there (40 miles round trip) sitting for hours and cold. No deer. It's not a slam dunk! He did enjoy the time out there and break of normal routine. Take this option away and I dought he will ever hunt again. That's sad because it was always something he enjoyed.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #140 on: October 30, 2014, 09:08:48 AM »
What they are referring to is the late archery mule deer hunt in 209 and 215 in Nov...there is a outfitter that baits them and does well..there has been several hunting shows filmed there

Thank you for that clarification.  Surprised with a success rate like that on mature bucks I'd never heard of them.  Figured the poster must have been talking about another state.  Just wanted to better understand.  Appreciated!

If one outfitter is driving a ban on baiting with unscrupulous baiting then that needs looked at as a single issue, if we see any action though it'll most likely be a statewide ban. 

I wasn't familiar with that issue.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2014, 09:11:52 AM »

If one outfitter is driving a ban on baiting with unscrupulous baiting then that needs looked at as a single issue, if we see any action though it'll most likely be a statewide ban. 

I wasn't familiar with that issue.

Me either and I agree. If there are stats and studies that show that baiting at certain times or in certain areas has a negative impact on herd health I am all for it. A statewide ban just feels like it is being done because some hunters don't agree with it rather then on science.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2014, 09:16:45 AM »

A lot more than just that. Several other open GMU's. It's not just the outfitters those of us that are concerned about, it's all the others that feel it necessary to drive off roads tipping over bins is apples and leaving behind the thousands of apple brand stickers that litter the landscape. To make the accusations that those of us that are concerned are jealous of the success is comical, yet understandable. There are a bunch of those who are jealous for the wrong reasons though and have started the practices themselves: go to any extreme to kill a trophy regardless of what they leave behind or trash. Kill off a high percentage of the migrated in mature bucks and look what it does to the herd health and quality......sure seems to be a lot of posts the last few years about seeing less bucks hanging in camps all around this region. Coincidence in certain areas rather than the poor season dates and predation,  I think so. I also think it's too bad for the vast majority of guys who enjoy the baiting style are being affected by a select few that have taken what could be a great hunting strategy to a whole other detrimental level. As I'll say again, a few simple modifications to the rule is all that I feel is necessary,  not a complete ban by any means.
A voice of reason.  Yes, lets identify what the issues are and find solutions to some of these very legitimate concerns without a complete ban.  Hunters have always regulated themselves and so I see no reason we couldn't increase regulation/oversight of baiting.  Right now its a free for all and some issues may be cropping up...the solution is not a ban...common sense regulation would work well.  :twocents:

Those that are in the know...can you shed any more light on what you heard from wdfw...is it a complete ban or one of the milder alternatives being selected???
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2014, 09:20:57 AM »
At the previous Colville wolf meeting, wdfw stated if there is a decline in deer harvest numbers for 3 consecutive years, then they would launch a scientific  study to determine the cause.  I feel they should be obligated to follow the same protocol to determine if baiting is having any effect on herds one way or another.

I know the origin of this whole problem, and yes it is outfitters at the base of the problem.......but the originating persons and their professional capacity is the root cause.  Thats all Ill say.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #144 on: October 30, 2014, 09:34:49 AM »
Baiting is a very good management tool to harvest animals in suburban or subdivided areas where properties are small, homes are plentiful, and there may only be one safe direction or location in which an animal can be safely shot.  My not be your cup of tea, but out on the National Forest and vast timber company lands is not where the greatest need for harvest exists.  I'd far rather suburban deer and elk be harvested safely over bait than hunted free range in a less safe manner, much less relying on vehicle collisions and suburban cougars and coyotes for control. 

Don't like it?  Don't do it.  But please don't hamstring managers trying to direct harvest to areas with the most conflicts between big game and property owners.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #145 on: October 30, 2014, 09:41:18 AM »
At the previous Colville wolf meeting, wdfw stated if there is a decline in deer harvest numbers for 3 consecutive years, then they would launch a scientific  study to determine the cause.

It would seem to me if there was a "decline in deer harvest numbers for 3 consecutive years" there is no justification for a ban on baiting, that only leaves their reasoning as Political?
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline buckfvr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #146 on: October 30, 2014, 09:46:24 AM »
Yes, it is somewhat politically charged, well connected professionals ( 2 ), who got this ball rolling faster than it was........

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #147 on: October 30, 2014, 09:47:42 AM »
Baiting is a very good management tool to harvest animals in suburban or subdivided areas where properties are small, homes are plentiful, and there may only be one safe direction or location in which an animal can be safely shot.  My not be your cup of tea, but out on the National Forest and vast timber company lands is not where the greatest need for harvest exists.  I'd far rather suburban deer and elk be harvested safely over bait than hunted free range in a less safe manner, much less relying on vehicle collisions and suburban cougars and coyotes for control. 

Don't like it?  Don't do it.  But please don't hamstring managers trying to direct harvest to areas with the most conflicts between big game and property owners.

Other benefits I see in baiting are that it allows the hunter to establish what is in the area he is hunting so that he/she can potentially pass on immature animals, letting them grow up. Also, one of the major reasons I bait, especially for whitetails is not to attract them, but to try and get them to stop long enough to present and clean and ethical shot. In many of my good whitetail spots in the NE corner, it is thick and nasty with few shooting lanes, especially with a bow.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #148 on: October 30, 2014, 10:02:52 AM »
My thoughts follow.

First, there is no confirmation that baiting will be banned or restricted. Until a formal proposal is presented and enacted, it’s speculation at this time.

The argument “hunters are our own worst enemy” seems to be the position held by both sides in this argument. Those opposed to baiting imply that allowing it to remain legal hurts the image of hunting, while those who support it believe that all legal hunting methods should be supported by all hunters.

My unfounded suspicion is that that arguments put forth to WDFW by those opposed to baiting were (a) greater in number, and (b) better constructed than those in favor of allowing it to remain legal. Lots of members on here posted about why baiting should remain legal, but very few probably took the time to compose well-written letters to WDFW in favor of keeping it legal. :twocents:
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline buckfvr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #149 on: October 30, 2014, 10:08:43 AM »
Well, in the wdfw pages, Dana Base made no mention of baiting  whitetail as a  technique in his article about up coming season expectations, but instead, elaborated on deer drives..........That right there told me volumes about him and the direction that will be taken by wdfw regarding baiting.  OK guys, get in there and root them out , get them up and running and dont stop shooting til you see them drop !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Idiotic...........

On another note, deer drives are very popular in states that allow party hunting..........great way to fill a bunch of tags.

I prefer to target animals that have no clue I exist...........not necessarily  over bait, but some times...........like when its foggy.  In no way do I support a baiting ban because a couple professionals favorite spot has been ruined by what is being done on private property.

And in response to Bob33, I would agree with that if wdfw otherwise displayed fair and scientific approaches to ALL issues that come up..........scientific being most important.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]