collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: any right handed left eye dominate shooters on here?  (Read 9860 times)

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: any right handed left eye dominate shooters on here?
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 09:52:12 PM »
For shooting rifles it's not that big a deal to be right handed and left eye dominant. You can just close your left eye. But with shotguns you really need to be shooting with both eyes open, so if I had that issue, I'd try to learn to shoot shotguns left handed.

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 10:01:15 PM »
I know it's a drive Richard but......... you come on up here this summer and I'll help the Mrs with a few different tactics,the bad news is your on the hook for an over under for her to shoot.We got a real nice gun club up here in Lynden,I'm a shooting coach for the kids in SCTP program.You can shoot 5 stand for the morning and I'll take her to a field where its just me and her and try to get the left eye out of the picture,Scotch tape over the left lens is a real good start,blurs the vision enough for the right eye take over.I'm a righty righty,but with age the station 8 skeet lowhouse I've had to learn/train myself about left eye dominance.I'm good all the way till there.Shotgun shooting is all in the eye's Chuck Dryke taught me that.Actually I've got several guns she can try/use,we'll need to see what gets the right fit and go from there.

Offline NW-GSP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 10:48:00 PM »
Wildweeds I will take you up on the offer, I'm a lucky guy, she will go upland hunting and even sit in a duck blind when its pouring rain or snowing. She is also great with a bow. Now its just getting shot gun shooting down.

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 10:57:21 PM »
It's all about practice,confidence.I helped my buddies wife earlier this year,She had a disappointing last pheasant season with a couple boxes of shells shot and only one bird taken.Two outings to the gun club with 4 boxes each session and she ended up breaking 20 of 25 targets on the last three boxes.I should have mentioned that the shooting hours at the club are 9 am to 1pm on saturdays,there are 6 skeet/trap fields and the 5 stand.One skeet field is set up for International skeet.I have 12/20/28 and 410 guages in a variety of manufacturers to choose from.You come up a few weekends and we can get her headed in the right direction and then you two can hit granite falls during the week.It's a win win for you,you've always wanted to reload shotgun shells right?After we get her in the right direction we can get together for a shoot at either Seattle trap/skeet for sporting clays or a trip to Sunnydell shooting grounds in Sequim.We can pick you guys up on the way by!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 08:32:54 PM »
Left eye dominate RH so is my wife and oldest daughter.

I have chosen guns that are relatively Ambi  I shoot a mossburg shotgun the safety up top is great for left or right. I had a Rem 870 and never used the safety because i lost too many birds trying to get the safety off. I would really like a side by side shotgun but they are more spendy and the salt eats them up. For rifles, I like lever guns. I bought a LH bolt gun and love it. Pistols, i like revolvers and semi autos that are Ambi. I like the  Semi rugers i have shot as well as glocks. some brands are more ambi than others.

I shoot a LH bow, my wife shoots a RH bow  so does my daughter. I think their shooting would improve with LH gear. Hope that helps
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline wheels

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 08:40:40 PM »
right handed blind in right eye shotgun i shoot right handed flat stock works good

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 10:46:48 AM »
I am right handed left eye dominate.  I also shoot 10's of thousands of rounds each year with both eyes open using my right eye.  Everyone's dominance is different so you should keep that in mind. 

There is a huge advantage to shooting using your dominate hand especially in any kind of dynamic shooting.  I personally wouldn't go weak hand to match the eye, even with a child.  I would train them to use their less dominate eye.  In pistol's it is even more important to shoot strong hand, I would never teach weak hand shooting as a first choice. 

First, when it comes to shooting you need to know what the eye is supposed to do...... 

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 04:44:32 PM »
Well said Sir,alot of truth to that statement.

First, when it comes to shooting you need to know what the eye is supposed to do......

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2014, 04:51:13 PM »

Not to sound entirely ignorant but exactly what does this sort of cryptic statement mean?  Can you explain for the people who are new to shooting in a way that is easy to understand.

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 07:25:56 PM »
Your eyes have everything to do with shooting a shotgun,they look well past the bead on the end of the barrell,fact is you don't even see the end of the barrell if your doing it right.Gun mount is paramount,it needs to be consistant and the same everytime,so that the sight plane is the same as well as the point of impact,your eyes focus on the leading edge of the target,if it's flying left to right as an incoming target you  match the speed of the bird with the swing,focus on the righthand side leading edge and with a smooth swing the lead will automatically be correct if you are lined up right on the stock,your head is down and your eyes are on the prize. Aim a rifle/pistol and POINT a shotgun.In 2 years of teaching the kids I've heard at least 1000 times,"oh I shot in front of that one" in two years All  but two of those kids who have  claimed to have shot in front of the target have shot behind.Go to a place that throws targets over water,Sunnydell is one,99.8 percent of misses are behind.Shooting a shotgun at passing targets and stopping the swing  as you pull the trigger gets you a rifle shot,the pattern is round,maintaining the swing actually strings the shot  almost as if painting with a brush.I've got very good 20/15 vision,when the light is right I can pick the shot cloud up if I'm standing back 5 feet and pushing the button on the thrower.Horsehoes are a great game to train eyes,as well as cornhole,or washerboard game.I'm a welder and get plenty of practice throwing rod stubs out of my stinger and into a bucket.Bullriders use eyes to focus on the spine of the bull in front of their hand,your balance goes wherever eye's go,eye's are attached to hands and work in unison,same goes for shotguns and swinging,the other part of shotguns is stance and where your big toe is pointing,it's a fact that target breaks will occur within 10 degrees of  where the big toe is pointing,Set your stance wrong and get out of balance and your going to shoot behind,behind and behind.I've been shooting shotguns for 33 years,for the last 20 I've been shooting an average of 8 boxes per week at clay targets,In the last 10 years about 4 times per year I've been known to go for the gold and see how much lead can fly in a day at a sporting clays range,my best to date is 21 boxes.Clays games really boosts confidence in a real world birds in the air scenario.

Offline police women of America

• Women's Board
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2014, 07:52:11 PM »
Just ask her. But most likely she would want a left handed shotgun if she uses that hand for bows. Do you have any other guns? You can have her shoot one of your other guns to see which hand she likes using.
Hi, my name is Josie

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2014, 12:50:38 PM »
This is what I believe the eye does for shooting pistols/rifle/bow.  I'm not a shotgun shooter (other then for a bird here or there) so I'm not going to say it applies to shooting the clay sports (it likely does) but it does apply in the field.

When shooting the eye confirms alignment of the sight.  The eye should also (when shooting at a high level) confirm alignment of the sight at the moment of ignition, telling you where the projectile will impact before impacting the target.  Every thing else is done by something other then the eye. 

So, breaking an accurate shot has more to do with being able to break an accurate shot, on demand, without disturbing the sight.  That's why I don't think using a weak hand (on purpose) or teaching someone, especially a child, is the right way to go when learning how to shoot.  There certainly is a reason why we call it a "weak hand".  To give yourself the best opportunity to break an accurate shot, you want to use whatever gives you the most dexterity, not the least.         

Not to sound entirely ignorant but exactly what does this sort of cryptic statement mean?  Can you explain for the people who are new to shooting in a way that is easy to understand.

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2014, 01:02:23 PM »
A good example is that you will hear from a lot of novice pistol shooters who shoot a Glock complain that they are shooting Low/Left.  They will blame it on the grip angle at times.  They will say "A Glock doesn't fit me".  Sometimes you will find that they will shift their sights (abnormally) to one side of the pistol in order to try to "correct" the point of impact.  You will even find them saying things like "I can't shoot a Glock".

It isn't a sighting problem or a Glock problem, it is a trigger control problem, an experience problem.  You must be able to break a shot without disturbing your sight.  In order to do that consistently you will need as much dexterity as you can get get.     

Offline fremont

• Scout
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2014, 07:27:42 PM »
For shooting rifles it's not that big a deal to be right handed and left eye dominant. You can just close your left eye. But with shotguns you really need to be shooting with both eyes open, so if I had that issue, I'd try to learn to shoot shotguns left handed.

That's what Chuck Dryke told me.  Didn't work after a day with him in Sequim.  Scotch tape over left eye.

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2014, 08:14:01 PM »
Chuck told you to shoot lefty? And it didn't work? I see lots of guys with a precisely placed circle of scotch tape on their glasses.I've noticed the last year or so that my left eye tries to take over at station 8,that's the only spot where it tries to take over.

That's what Chuck Dryke told me.  Didn't work after a day with him in Sequim.  Scotch tape over left eye.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal