collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: blacktail question  (Read 2236 times)

Offline ridgefire

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
blacktail question
« on: October 31, 2014, 07:42:35 PM »
I was out hunting this evening and had a huge blacktail at 20-25 yards and no shot. The unit I was hunting is closed for late season, its a quality draw unit. What are the chances of this buck being in the general area next year? I will definitely be trying to keep tabs on this buck but not sure if they stay in the same area or if they move year by year. I was more or less scouting a new area and happened to get lucky in finding him.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
Re: blacktail question
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 07:45:17 PM »
I was out hunting this evening and had a huge blacktail at 20-25 yards and no shot. The unit I was hunting is closed for late season, its a quality draw unit. What are the chances of this buck being in the general area next year? I will definitely be trying to keep tabs on this buck but not sure if they stay in the same area or if they move year by year. I was more or less scouting a new area and happened to get lucky in finding him.

Lowland blackmail home ranges are quite small, but will travel some gor the girls. He will be there next year unless the bowman get him, or car.
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 07:47:44 PM »
Unless you are bordering high country he should be in the same area during early season.  Trying to find him in the day light is a whole different can of beans.  Can be done, but you will have to do a lot of homework! 
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline ridgefire

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 07:53:29 PM »
It is just a logging road so not to worried about cars and he was about 4 miles from the gate so wouldn't imagine there will be to many people that will find him. Just starting to get into blacktails and keeping my fingers crossed he will be there next year. I was only at about 1000 ft so not to high.

Offline Damnimissed

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 10:34:44 PM »
Pick up a copy of Blacktail Trophy Tactics II by Boyd Iverson and read it like 5 times. Killing mature blacktails is very tough to do with any consistency.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 10:47:41 PM »
I agree with most of the comments ..these last few days is what kills blacktails.. End of October --beginning of the rut and the weather ..which has been the best I have seen in years ..if no one kills him or if he does not get eaten up by a predator he should be back at sometime or another ...just very hard pin them down in the exact same spot day after day ..but he is there somewhere  :twocents:

Offline go4itlab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 06:48:15 AM »
That's good advice from cboom.  :yeah:

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 07:49:54 AM »
Trail cam carpet bomb the area after the late season....then you can track him. Even rutting he wont go a long ways from his home.  He didnt get big being stupid. He has a deep dark hole somewhere that only he knows how to get in and out of without being seen.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal