collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What is wrong with the "pro's" on TV now a days  (Read 23003 times)

Offline Elkrunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: What is wrong with the "pro's" on TV now a days
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 07:15:54 AM »
Just because they are on TV doesn't' necessarily mean they are a pro.  It doesn't take much to get a show and hunt behind a high fence.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2014, 07:20:09 AM »
Just because they are on TV doesn't' necessarily mean they are a pro.  It doesn't take much to get a show and hunt behind a high fence.

I don't think there are many hunts other than exotic hunts that are high-fenced. 

Premium private land is one thing but an actual 10' fence holding in bred and raised animals is another
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Smokepole

• Kevin Miller
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2014, 07:21:47 AM »
I don't have a tv.   :tup:

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2014, 07:23:03 AM »
I don't have a tv.   :tup:

:chuckle:  neither do I. 
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline sirmissalot

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
    • chadpburgess@faceboo​k.com
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2014, 07:30:40 AM »
My girlfriend made it on a hunting show when she was 14. She's a lot more of a pro now than she was then!

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 07:52:21 AM »
I am watching a show that the PRO has to get help drawing her bow. The camera man holds the stabilizer and pushes her draw arm back. W-T-H is that? To much draw weight possibly?  :bash:

I saw this episode the other day, and you are right - it looked really stupid.

I don't remember which show, but they were in a blind and she was crouched which might account for why she needed help.   

Still, I would have edited it just out of embarrassment.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Gobble

• Frontiersman
  • Wack'em and Stack'em
    • Dave Harder
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 08:29:09 AM »
I love watching hunting shows as much as the next guy but they are really not a true representation of what a normal public land hunt is, ANYBODY can hunt private land and score on undisturbed animals that are just going about thier business as they have all year long because they haven't been pushed. Esp when they are being fed by deer feeders or hanging out over a food plot, not much skill is needed to harvest a animal beyond sighting your bow or rifle in at the beginning of the season. The hunters who I respect the most are the guys like myself that bust their ass in the hills on public land and tend to score year after year on animals that have been pushed, shot at, disrupted in their daily routines, and require strategy and lots of skill to be able to get a chance to harvest them. I've passed ranches in Montana where hunting shows like to film and there 50-100 deer are hanging out every morning and dusk in the same fields, to me this is not much of a challenge, hunting in fields like that where you can choose between 50-100 deer that are just feeding in a field and calling yourself a "Expert" hunter really doesn't ring true to me......But thats just me  :dunno:

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2014, 08:57:23 AM »

I don't think there are many hunts other than exotic hunts that are high-fenced. 

Premium private land is one thing but an actual 10' fence holding in bred and raised animals is another

watched a show last year I think with Tred Barta on Elk... Was a very interesting place, fenced in ELk ranch and for his situation acceptable IMO. After his life changing medical emergency, he still does as much as he is physically capable of, even shooting his bow to try and stay strong enough to hunt with it. He was very clear with his opinion on the hunt, even almost apologizing for the hunt to the viewers but shooting a bull with his re curve bow was a long time vision to fulfill. IMO, his situation makes fenced in hunts acceptable for ONLY those who really cant.

Premium private land is still mostly a pay to play situation and mostly only available to a select few who can afford thousands of dollars to gain access (look at western extreme and there advertising for Tuchodi River Outfitters in BC. That hunt is a 20+K hunt for us (I researched a couple years back) Private mountains, very limited hunters, backcountry with a 5X minimum. Of course when there are thousands of animals and tens of hunters, success is almost certain advertising over a 95% success rate. But, this is not quite shooting fish in a barrel, merely game behind every tree... Some of these "Pros" get invited to these "premium" places as the owners see the value in advertising. Most of these situations include driving to a permanent blind, over a daily fed herd of whatever on a private ranch, which can make anyone look "professional"...Absolutely NOT what most of us experience in the field.... Oh and a "pro" just means they get paid for this, not that they have a damn clue what they are doing.....Boom shaka laka T bone....

I think if I had to choose a show that is not like what I have discussed above I would say Solo Hunters seems as close to what I see as "our" actual situations....
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline Band

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 09:40:20 AM »
The ONLY thing I get out of hunting shows is what I can gather of shot placement and how it affects the animal after it is hit.  Post production editing usually tries to hide poor hits in a variety of ways so I spend time reviewing the cues I see and reading between the lines.  The only hunting shows I actually enjoy are the ones where they are clearly on a DIY hunt on public land which is how I hunt.

I used to watch a couple of shows regularly that became nothing more than a "look at me" soap opera, you know, because they had to put out a show but had no kills so they simply blathered on while traveling to other states and joked abound.  Good lord, what a waste of time.  I fast forward through the majority of hunting shows I watch and usually only pay attention to about 5 minutes of footage.

Offline sakoshooter

• WFW Board of Directors
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Life Memberr NRA, Life Member Sumner Sportsmans Association
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 09:30:32 PM »
I don't watch too many of them but I've noticed over the years that many of them have concentratedt their efforts on celebrity guests rather than true hunting. Most are not worth my time any more. Way too many commercials and fake footage as they aproach their animal while being filmed from the other side of the animal and then they act suprized.
Rhinelander, WI
Home of the Hodag

Offline GoPlayOutside

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 09:38:50 PM »
I miss Tred Barta!  That guy was like a likable Ted Nugent that wasn't hunting on a farm, and a Randy Newberg with more passion (or insanity).
"Aim small, miss small."
Genesis 27:3, "Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me."

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2014, 09:56:27 PM »
I like Randy Newburg's show.   (spelling??)

He only hunts public land out West, doesn't apologize for shooting nice legal animals, does a lot of good research and sort of shares how, and he's willing to pack stuff way out.

* I absolutely HATE when some of these jokers apologize for not shooting a monster......   It happens way too much.   If you're embarrassed to shoot that 160 "mgmt buck" off the private feedlot in Texas (because you know that have 170 bucks that come to the corn most days) then just don't shoot it.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2014, 10:07:42 PM »
I miss Tred Barta!  That guy was like a likable Ted Nugent that wasn't hunting on a farm, and a Randy Newberg with more passion (or insanity).
:yeah: Barta was the man ..funny as can be and a fishing and hunting machine ..Loved watching his shows !

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2014, 10:50:08 PM »
whoa.!.!.!   are you trying to tell me that tv "hunting" shows may not be all that they are cracked up to be ?  sorry to burst your bubble but i dont think Santa Claus is real either.......really ?
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2014, 11:32:56 PM »
i dont think Santa Claus is real either.......really ?

You are right.  Santa is nothing more than a marketing tool to get non-Christians to buy gifts and stimulate the world economy!  The Easter Bunny...now that's a different story!!

Pretty dang hard to make 6, 8 or 10 TV shows a year without using a guide or a fenced hunt or two.  These shows are suppose to be entertaining.  How many entertaining TV shows do folks think they could make in a year going DIY public land in the West?
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal