collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho hunting...which species?  (Read 15610 times)

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
  • Chief Executive Head Anarchist of YKWTSASFFRO
Re: Idaho hunting...which species?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 03:18:42 PM »
Well my cousin was in town today and talked to him about hunting there and it looks like the begining of November is the time frame and area 14-16a is where we will be hunting..anyone have any advice for that area?
Official hunt-wa bigfoot field researcher!

Offline Born2late

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 04:15:10 PM »
We hunt 15 every year. I'll pm you my number if you want to ask
Me any questions.

Offline chiefeng

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 10:23:02 PM »
In Idaho you can use any tag you have on Wolf so if you have an extra deer tag you could use that. You can look up the regs on their web site

Offline TripleB

• Hunter
  • Romans 10: 9-10
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 10:29:52 PM »
Wolf.
Teamsters Local 174

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 09:39:47 PM »
I will deffinetly have a wolf tag in my pocket....it will be a goal of mine to tag one along with a deer

Offline GotMyTag

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, WSF, RMEF
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 02:30:07 PM »
many areas in idaho let you hunt deer, elk, wolf all at the same time.

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 08:06:16 PM »
Being my first year there is it worth the money going after deer and elk with only a week off? And never stepping foot in the area

Offline ridgefire

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 08:50:18 PM »
I wouldn't, it could turn into a real expensive scouting trip. first year or two I would concentrate on one or the other and then possibly get both if you are seeing plenty of animals.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 10:57:05 PM »
if you have just a deer tag your about guranteed to see a bull elk on your hunt  :chuckle:

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2014, 11:03:30 PM »
I have thought about hunting Idaho, and for the first time, me having a deer tag and my hunting partner an elk tag, or vice versa. That way we'd be covered for whatever we found. Although it would probably turn out that the guy with the deer tag would have an opportunity at a big bull elk, and the guy with the elk tag would see a monster buck, and we'd still go home empty handed.   :chuckle:

However, another cool thing about Idaho, is that a deer tag can also be used on a bear, and maybe a cougar? Not sure about that but I'm pretty sure you can kill a bear with a deer tag if you choose. And maybe the elk tags are the same way? It's been a while since I researched Idaho.   :dunno:

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2014, 11:07:08 PM »
yes and wolves, but Id never burn a $300 deer and $450 elk tag on a bear or wolf

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2014, 11:11:20 PM »
yes and wolves, but Id never burn a $300 deer and $450 elk tag on a bear or wolf

Well, I see your point, but if I had been hunting a week and hadn't yet killed a deer or elk, a bear just might look good. Probably not a wolf though, I want something I can eat. The wolf I might shoot but wouldn't waste my tag on it.   :chuckle:

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2014, 07:33:40 AM »
Everyone buy a deer tag, and split the cost of an elk tag. That way you have a least one elk tag in camp.

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2014, 07:37:05 AM »
First year I'd suggest deer and wolf since their tag is cheap. Get your deer and scout for elk while out. Then next year go for elk, or all three if you can swing the $$$. When you get there, hike up, and keep going up till you don't see any other people. You'll find deer.

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2014, 04:29:40 PM »
  This year I did an archery elk hunt in idaho, was my first trip so take this all with a grain of salt as I am no expert...

IMO alot of it depends on how you view your tag. If you are looking to hunt deer, and elk are in the area and you dont really care to hunt elk but want to have a tag "just in case" and the discretionary income. Go for it. If your like me, out of state tags are precious and each one needs to be utilized to the fullest capacity. Then I would forgo one or the other, until VERY familiar with the region/area you are hunting. :twocents:

Unless you have access to very reliable intel and places to go, I would budget a couple days into my hunt to locate a decent spot. Realistically That gives you five days to kill two bucks. Depending on your standards you should be able to notch a couple tags and enjoy yourselves doing it. If your standards are high for the area, then allow more time ( ie pressure ) If low you may be done sooner.

My experince has been that although elk and deer habitats overlap alot. They typically don't dwell together. Of course rut, pressure, migration and individual animals all influence that. But most of my success has come when I target one or the other. Sure, I have seen nice bulls when buck hunting and vice versa, but honestly it's not often enough that it would warrant buying one or the other tag. The exception would be a backcountry hunt where covering a bunch of ground may take you into pockets of either species.   

Although my first year in Idaho, I have hunted Oregon for the past seven years. Some years for deer. Some years for elk. Some years for both. I have always hunted archery.

Heres some observations that I noticed looking back on the time. I have bought a combo 3 times and sucked on tag soup for one or the other species two times out of those. The year I tagged both I was stressed, and although blessed I didn't take the quality of animals or have the quality of hunt for either species that I have in the single species years. The year I filled both tags I relied heavily on the fact that good elk hunting was an hour from my house. Had it been an  8 or 10 hour drive their is no way. Being very familiar with some areas now, and having some connections built over time. I would be comfortable buying both again now, But still wouldnt expect to get the quality of animals I might if holding just one species. 

I guess all this rambling is to say that extra tags are always a good thing until they bring extra stress. If the extra tags will not create stress, or one or the other will not be bummed because they didnt get to devot as much time to their tag as they hoped then go for it. If not, keep it simple and enjoy the heck out of your hunt. :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal