collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Trapper takes eight wolves in a month  (Read 13668 times)

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt

Offline Bullkllr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
Re: Trapper takes eight wolves in a month
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 08:45:40 PM »
Pretty ironic (or maybe not) that Idaho Fish & Game wants to pay the successful trapper, while across the border in WA there is a $15,000 reward on the head of the "wolf killer"  :bash:
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline mkcj

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 08:58:01 PM »
 :yeah:  >:(

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 09:08:39 PM »
Nothing more complicated than simply one state vs another.  Legal there, protected here.

Hopefully Washington will follow suit.

Of course, I wonder if you can catch a wolf in a cage trap....
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 09:09:49 PM »
The first year it opened a lot were shot, .Now that they have been hunted, trapping is way more effective. I have a buddy that traps 3 or 4 a year. He's my hero
The mountains are calling and I must go

Offline kodiak 907

• Sourdough
  • Groups: U.S. Navy/Combat Recon, NRA, DU
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 09:19:41 PM »
I work with this guys cousin. It sounds like he has got it down.
Spider 2 Y banana

Offline mfswallace

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 09:22:35 PM »
Trapper takes eight wolves in a month

http://media.spokesman.com/documents/2014/11/Trapper_takes_eight_wolves_in_a_month.pdf

Anyone who advocates for a single wolf as a good thing for ungulates should read this article and wake up!!!

Wolves  :bdid: :bdid: :bdid:  Wolf Advocates  :bash: :bash: :bash:

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 09:42:00 PM »
Wow....    That guy is doing his part.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Online bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 10:02:13 PM »
Add the St Joe to the list of wolf devastated herds!

The 2014-2015 trapping season for wolves opened more than a month earlier than the traditional season, Brad Corkill, an Idaho Fish and Game commissioner, said.

"The traditional trapping season doesn’t open until Nov. 15, but we opened it up Oct. 10. It’s a very important part of our management plan," he said, "especially in the area of the upper St. Joe drainage. We opened it early to give trappers the opportunity to get into that country before the snow gets too deep and shuts off access."

The elk herd in the St. Joe River drainage, which is in Unit 9, used to have numbers close to 3,000, Mr. Corkill said.

"Our numbers are now showing that the herd is below 500. Restoring the herd to that area is very important," he added.

Tony McDermott, who served as a Fish and Game commissioner from 2005 to 2013, is the sportsman’s representative on Governor Butch Otter’s wolf control board.

"We have a wolf problem," Mr. McDermott said. "And it has cost the state millions of dollars."

In an article he wrote last year, Mr. McDermott spoke to David and Tina Banderob, who are the owners of Banderob’s Wild Meat Processing Plant in St. Maries.

In 2005, the Banderob’s processed 205 elk, the majority for nonresident hunters. In 2013, they processed 31 elk for mostly resident hunters.

"Tina reported that nonresident elk hunters have quit coming to St. Maries because the elk are gone," Mr. McDermott wrote.
Mr. McDermott said there are close to 1,000 wolves in Idaho if not more which is far more than what was agreed upon. In 2002, the Idaho Legislature approved a Wolf Management Plan that called for 150 wolves and 15 breeding pairs.

"Over the last five years, the state has lost in excess of $100 million," Mr. McDermott said. "Elk populations in the Lolo Zone have gone from 1,500 to less than 700 and there are less than 500 elk in the St. Joe drainage, down from 2,000 or more. That is due to the addition of the wolf."

According to the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation a wolf will kill 20 to 30 elk each year, he added.
Mr. Coward estimates by removing eight wolves he’s saved close to 160 elk.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 09:43:22 AM »
Add the St Joe to the list of wolf devastated herds!

The 2014-2015 trapping season for wolves opened more than a month earlier than the traditional season, Brad Corkill, an Idaho Fish and Game commissioner, said.

"The traditional trapping season doesn’t open until Nov. 15, but we opened it up Oct. 10. It’s a very important part of our management plan," he said, "especially in the area of the upper St. Joe drainage. We opened it early to give trappers the opportunity to get into that country before the snow gets too deep and shuts off access."

The elk herd in the St. Joe River drainage, which is in Unit 9, used to have numbers close to 3,000, Mr. Corkill said.

"Our numbers are now showing that the herd is below 500. Restoring the herd to that area is very important," he added.

Tony McDermott, who served as a Fish and Game commissioner from 2005 to 2013, is the sportsman’s representative on Governor Butch Otter’s wolf control board.

"We have a wolf problem," Mr. McDermott said. "And it has cost the state millions of dollars."

In an article he wrote last year, Mr. McDermott spoke to David and Tina Banderob, who are the owners of Banderob’s Wild Meat Processing Plant in St. Maries.

In 2005, the Banderob’s processed 205 elk, the majority for nonresident hunters. In 2013, they processed 31 elk for mostly resident hunters.

"Tina reported that nonresident elk hunters have quit coming to St. Maries because the elk are gone," Mr. McDermott wrote.
Mr. McDermott said there are close to 1,000 wolves in Idaho if not more which is far more than what was agreed upon. In 2002, the Idaho Legislature approved a Wolf Management Plan that called for 150 wolves and 15 breeding pairs.

"Over the last five years, the state has lost in excess of $100 million," Mr. McDermott said. "Elk populations in the Lolo Zone have gone from 1,500 to less than 700 and there are less than 500 elk in the St. Joe drainage, down from 2,000 or more. That is due to the addition of the wolf."

According to the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation a wolf will kill 20 to 30 elk each year, he added.
Mr. Coward estimates by removing eight wolves he’s saved close to 160 elk.

See now, it took 14 years for IDFG to finally admit that the wolves were impacting the game herds, how long will it take for WDFW to be honest? What will the impacts on WA game herds look like by that time?

Remember WDFW are protecting other predators by not having more robust hunting seasons, so add up an uncontrolled wolf population and excessive cougars/bears, impacts which so far WDFW refuse to acknowledge. By the time delisting rolls around will there be anything left in WA to hunt?

Offline MR5x5

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 11:39:40 AM »
Google it and join up:  Foundation for Wildlife Management
I made my crew join as a condition of hunting Idaho this year.

Offline cougarbart

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 12:01:39 PM »
Well I have been up the joe the last 10 years and good luck trying to hear a bugle now! But that's probably because of the harsh winters! Cause people blame the wolves!

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 12:28:48 PM »
A biologist called me last Friday and I asked her where the most wolves are killed in the Panhandle. She said the Joe, unit 4.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Online bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 12:37:58 PM »
A biologist called me last Friday and I asked her where the most wolves are killed in the Panhandle. She said the Joe, unit 4.

Not surprised....
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 12:44:26 PM »
Well I have been up the joe the last 10 years and good luck trying to hear a bugle now! But that's probably because of the harsh winters! Cause people blame the wolves!
Hunting was still pretty good through about 07...09 and 10 is when I would say things went south quickly.

IDFG is on top of wolves because the people proved the impacts, at first IDFG denied impacts, I have the old news stories to prove it. :twocents:
Post 'em up...I would love to see the details of what evidence you believe supports the notion that IDFG was denying or hiding impacts.  Maybe I missed it  :dunno:
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal