collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Changes to spring bear season, part two:  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
Changes to spring bear season, part two:
« on: November 20, 2014, 11:25:43 AM »
As promised earlier, here is an update on my proposal for bringing back baiting for spring bear permit holders. For those who may not be aware of what I am talking about, here is a link to my original posting:

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,163211.0.html

I am sending out in todays mail the following letters with copies of my proposal to key members of Washington Forest Protection Association asking for their support when we move forward and present this to the Legislature.  Their contact info is listed at the bottom, so please be patient and read through as now is the time to contact them and voice support for this and request their support.

They should have the letters and copies of the proposal in their hands by Monday at the latest, so anytime after Monday, I am asking for your help in the form of letters, emails, phone calls, whatever you can do. If you support this proposal, please take a few minutes to let them know we want their support. As I said, with approximately 15,000 HuntWa members, even 10% who take the time is a strong voice of support and hard not to take into consideration.

I will be forwarding this proposal to the Legislature, even if WFPA does not want to get involved.  But I feel it is in our best interest to get them on board as well, as it only strengthens our position when we do approach the Legislature with this.

Sorry it is so long-winded, but I felt I have to give it my best shot up front, so here it goes....

November 20, 2014

Mr/Ms, WFPA title
Washington Forest Protection Association

Dear Mr/Ms,

I would like to take a moment and introduce myself. My name is Blacktail Sniper. I have been a resident of Southwest Washington since 1975 and two years ago I moved to the Olympia area.  I have spent untold hours in the Southwest Washington Weyerhaeuser timberlands over the past several decades hunting and just generally enjoying the wilderness.

I am writing you today with a request for assistance in jump-starting a program that I feel will benefit multiple shareholders.  Enclosed you will find a proposal that I would like you to review.  It concerns spring bear damage control on timber company lands and an action plan to help mitigate it sooner instead of later in the summer. I have submitted this to the Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife, and had a very positive conversation with their Carnivore Manager, Donny Martorello.

Mr. Martorello voiced a strong support for the plan and indicated that WDFW would back such a program if we were able to get it instituted.  This is where I am asking for your help.  I ask that you review the plan and ultimately join in and support it when it is presented to the legislature for action.   
The intent behind the plan is to utilize sportsmen to assist timber companies in controlling damage caused in the spring by bears peeling trees during the time between emerging from winter dens and spring green-up where additional sources of food become available. 
By implementing a pilot program allowing permit holders the ability to use bait stations during the spring damage control hunts, my goal is to make these early hunts more effective and reduce damage by removing bears from problem areas sooner in the year.

Additionally, I feel that will WDFW will benefit in the way of much needed additional revenue from increased permit applications and subsequent sales of bait station permits, with only a minimal cost to implement on their part.

As I am sure you are well aware, with the passing of I-655, baiting has not been an option for individuals attempting to harvest a bear in either the spring or the fall, regardless of the circumstances.  However, there are provisions in there that allow for use of bait to assist in damage control under certain circumstances.  My proposal seeks to expand those circumstances to include spring damage control permit holders.  It does not alter the fall, general bear hunting seasons, nor does it limit or remove any current control options available to timberland owners.

I have drafted my proposal to minimize the impact on a property owner’s land by restricting how and where bait stations can be placed, how secured, natural materials only to be used as attractants, and requirements for removal once the hunt is completed.  As I stated earlier, WDFW Carnivore Manager, Donny Martorello has voiced support for this change.  Now I am asking for the support of The Washington Forest Protection Association and its members in presenting this proposal to the Legislature.

In the next few weeks, I will be presenting this proposal and a request to the Legislature to amend R.C.W. 77.15.245 1(a) to read as follows:
(1) Notwithstanding the provisions of RCW 77.12.240, *77.36.020, 77.36.030, or any other provisions of law, it is unlawful to take, hunt, or attract black bear with the aid of bait.

(a) Nothing in this subsection shall be construed to prohibit the killing of black bear with the aid of bait by employees or agents of county, state, or federal agencies while acting in their official capacities for the purpose of protecting livestock, domestic animals, private property, or the public safety.  Bait stations may be used by licensed hunters during approved spring damage control hunts to assist the owner or tenant of real property consistent with a permit issued and conditioned by the director for the purpose of protecting livestock, domestic animals, private property, or the public safety.

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to read through my proposal and I look forward to working with you to hopefully institute a change that I truly believe is a “win-win” for all stake holders involved.

Feel free to contact me with any questions you or your shareholders may have and I will happily try to answer any concerns or questions concerning any part of my proposal.

Sincerely,

************************************

Here is a list of who I sent the above letter to at Washington Forest Protection Association (WFPA):

Mark Doumit, Executive Director
Karen Terwilleger, Senior Director of Forest & Environmental Policy
Doug Hooks, Director of Forest & Environmental Programs
Debra Munguia, Director of Government Relations.

Contact info:

Mailing address: Washington Forest Protection Association, 724 Columbia St NW, Suite 250, Olympia, WA 98501
Phone: (360) 352-1500
Email: info@WFPa.org
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 11:33:36 AM by Blacktail Sniper »
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Old Salt
Re: Changes to spring bear season, part two:
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 11:43:59 AM »
Also, those of you that have friends and family that may not be a HuntWa member, but would offer up support for this if they knew about, please pass it on to them as well, all the more voices in favor of this just helps to increase our chances of making a change in our favor. 

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 07:59:56 AM »
 :bumpin:

Just bringing it back to the top, as the WFPA should have all the info by today at the latest, time to ring some phones, fill-up some inboxes and mail bags.

Next step will be preparing a presentation package for the Legislature over the next few weeks.

Thank you to everyone who takes a little time and shares support for this project. 

Don't forget family and friends who aren't HuntWa members....

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 11:31:06 AM »
 :tup:
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 01:52:54 PM »

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Old Salt

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 11:01:54 PM »
The number is HB 1838, introduced by Rep. Drew MacEwen. 

Link to bill:

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2015-16/Pdf/Bills/House%20Bills/1838.pdf

Now is the time to start calling, emailing, writing your local Representatives and Senators and ask them to vote in favor of HB 1838.

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 02:50:11 PM »
Rep MacEwen's office just informed me the public hearing is set for Feb 10th @ 10:00, House Hearing Rm B, John L O'Brian building. 

As many able to stop in, it sucks it is during the day, but it is when it is, that would be willing and able to show support would be great.

Hope to see some of you there, and if you haven't already, contact your local area lawmakers and ask for theirvsupport.  We are close, let's see if we can finish it off!

Thanks all, Dennis ""Blacktail Sniper."

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal