collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: T/C Renegade  (Read 4170 times)

Offline floatinghat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
T/C Renegade
« on: November 20, 2014, 09:13:59 PM »

I got a T/C renegade .50 cal from a neighbor to complement my Knight DISC. The gun was stored and not completely clean and barrel has some pitting etc.  I have cleaned it as clean as I can get it  ( brush, bore clean, at least 75 patches etc.)    I am pretty sure it's a 1-48 twist should I try balls or maxiball etc.?

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: T/C Renegade
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 09:16:54 PM »
I used to shoot Maxi balls out of my Renegade and they shot great. Those Renegades are nice guns! Wish I still had mine.

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 09:43:10 PM »
Maxi balls would probably be the best way to go,  1 in 48 will shoot round balls fine though.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline Patarero

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 01:06:47 PM »
Maxi balls

Offline Kittman

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, US Navy
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 01:21:28 PM »
I have the same rifle in .54 caliber, but with same 1-48" rifling twist.  It never shot balls worth a darn.  Mine seemed to prefer heavy charges of powder with maxi's or conical bullets.  I have always cleaned the barrel by taking and removing completely the barrel and using Dawn dishwashing soap in the bathtub with water as hot as you can possibly stand it, clean it submersed in the tub.  Leave it in there long enough while cleaning to get the barrel same temp as hot water.  Your water will be dirty.  When you remove the heat will aide in dissipating most of the residual moisture, blow dry, then put you favorite lube/oil/preservative/bore butter/bear grease or what have you to prevent corrosion-rust for storage.  Good idea to take the nipple apart prior to cleaning.     

Offline floatinghat

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 05:53:12 PM »
Thanks, for the replies I will pick up some maxi's try and put together a load for the late (last weekend) muzzy elk.  I know the breech is clear as I can shine light down the muzzle and put something through the flash hole and see the item.  My question is the cleaning rod won't bottom out ie go into the breech plug (measured from the outside).  I can't see anything obstructing near the breech plug when looking down the muzzle.  I am bottoming out my range rod with jag about a 1/2" from the start (muzzle end) of the breech plug.  My thinking is I am hitting the breech plug?

Is this ok to start working up a load?  Are 385gr Great Plains any good from these?  I have some somewhere that won't shoot for Poop out my Knight.

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 08:31:40 AM »
I have a .54 cal T/C Renagade that I purchased way back when they first came out.  Have shot both round ball and maxi ball.  Both work well, however I definitely perfer the maxi.  Great muzzleloaders. :tup: 
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline T-Bone

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 12:35:42 PM »
T/C no longer makes the Maxi Ball or Maxi Hunter in .54 cal. Try the Lyman Great Plains Bullet for similar results.

I've owned the T/C Renegade in .54 cal for years and still love it.
" America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

Offline Kittman

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, US Navy
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 12:49:21 PM »
Thinking of stocking up on some myself just in case.  But the .54 projectiles cannot be located in any store shelf.  I am thinking probably of using Cabela's, only because of their online order with ship-to-store option to skirt around the shipping charges.  They carry (online) at least the Hornady Great Plains is a very good choice for hunting.  Very accurate out of my Renegade.  A 150 yard or so shot is nothing with these bullets on deer sized game.   

Offline BnB

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 01:08:29 PM »
My old hunting partner made all of what we shot out of our rifles and cap and ball revolvers. In my tc 54 I had him mould a bunch of the R.E.A.L. conicals. I think that means rifleing engaged at loading. I think the mould is by Lee. Shot very accurate for me. I was out looking around and found some company making them. Might be hard to find but might be worth trying them.

Offline hendog

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 10:55:43 AM »
T/C no longer makes the Maxi Ball or Maxi Hunter in .54 cal. Try the Lyman Great Plains Bullet for similar results.

My Renegade .54 liked Maxi's. Now that they are no longer made, I use the Great Planes bullet. Mine also likes round balls with a light load of FFF.

Offline Jeeper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 09:45:59 AM »
The Lyman plains bullet shoots great in my .54 Renegade. I bought the mold and pour my own. Spendy, but no worries about finding them. I have just about all the molds for my .54. The Plains bullet shoots the best.  450 grains!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]