collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Trophy Hunt of a different kind  (Read 2949 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Trophy Hunt of a different kind
« on: November 21, 2014, 11:49:51 AM »
I was backpacking into a backcountry bowl where some big bucks can be found this time of year.   Other than holding onto the nearest tree by the skin of my teeth, it was a good hunt.  The frozen ground made travel pretty rough in the steep terrain.  I came up over a finger ridge and caught my breath before charging into the next one.  Something I learned from Idabooner. I had a feeling there were some deer here.  I started glassing closely when down below me I heard the backend of a wheeze from a snort wheeze.   I focused on the thick brush when I spotted a deers feet and leg, another trick I was taught when hunting the fir thickets.  I had noted some huge tracks in the area and was excited.   I loved the big feet.    Finally the deer came into view.  I slipped back to my backpack that I had slipped out of when I came over the edge.  I got my camera and monopod out and tried to get a picture.  I of course had to go to manual focus.  Its hard to explain the whole scene, but I would have harvested this buck with any legal tag.  Yes I have seen a lot bigger ones this year, but this whole scenario just did it for me.  A very memorable hunt that was able to concrete wuth just one image.   He snort wheezed again at another buck down the hill, then disappeared over the hill never to be seen again.

Offline trytough

• Tracker
Re: Trophy Hunt of a different kind
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 12:05:50 PM »
Awesome!

Offline Slimdog350

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 12:15:20 PM »
I love your pictures Bone! When you are out and about with the camera do you go to Otc units or do you go to special permit areas?

Offline JackOfAllTrades

• Rasbo said I Ain't Right.
  • Old Salt
  • Μολὼν λαβέ
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 12:34:34 PM »
Very nice,

Sometimes its just how we encounter a wild animal that makes us respect them even more that particular day. I'll give myself credit once in a while.. I mean, I had to hike and crawl to get there. I'm out of breath and breathing heavily into my coat to reduce noise, scent, and the fog from my breath. My knees are weak. I'm sweatin up a storm but my nose and ears are numb from the cold. Then that one thing catches my senses.... It's amazing to finally see a buck in the thick -especially at close proximity. After spending time scanning for antler points. An eye. A leg. Twitch of an ear. Sometimes I can smell them well before I see them. So frustrating when I can't see them yet. It's even more amazing looking at a bruiser in the brush, I can't help but wonder how they heck they got there when any time I make a move into the thick I'm smacked in the face with a bramble or branch that was purposefully pulled back with a rubber band. And at that point all stealthy quietness has gone out the window. Yet there's this buck! He's not happy to see me. In fact, doesn't want anything/one around. A snort/wheeze and others leave or in another breath, he's gone all together. Those are the ones we remember.

-Steve
The NRA says I'm a Master!
Colt's, Ruger's, Dan Wesson, & Kimber are my friends!
Proud to be a U.S. Navy Veteran.

If you never follow your dreams, you'll never go anywhere.

Critical thinking keeps people from freaking the hell out every time some half baked blogger forgets his meds. Unlike some of you, I do not have TawkethOutOfAnus© syndrome.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 12:53:50 PM »
 :tup: Steve.

Mostly general OTC areas Slim. 

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 05:33:36 PM »
Great writeup and pic sir,sometimes its not the score,the size or what could be considered a "trophy" in someone elses eyes. Its the hunt,the work,the knowledge and the satisfaction only you as the "hunter" feels by outsmarting your game and feeling you have the upper hand at that one particular moment,whether you take him with a weapon,a camera or you let him walk. I feel that in your story. Congrats on a fine buck my friend,you worked hard for him :tup:

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 05:56:04 PM »
Thank you!   Hard to see but he was also a five point.  Love those five points.

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 06:10:32 PM »
Thank you!   Hard to see but he was also a five point.  Love those five points.

I do see the 5,it also looks like(in the 2nd pic) he was just getting up out of bed? Did you disturb his sleep  :dunno:...if so,way to put the ole sneak-a-roo on him :tup:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 09:40:23 PM by bigmacc »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand