collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Long range rifle  (Read 16221 times)

Offline T Pearce

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
Re: Long range rifle
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 07:00:00 PM »
That whole Gunwerks rifle system with the scope and custom turrets is a bunch of BS.  If you are going to have a custom rifle built, have a custom rifle built, put a nice optic on it that has actual mil/moa adjustments with a reticle to match.  Don't buy into that Gunwerks system, "Just Dial the range on the turret and shoot!"  It would only be precise if the atmospheric conditions were identical to the conditions where the load was developed.  As soon as you get on the mountain, or in hotter or colder temperatures, the turrets would mean nothing.  But with a mil/moa standard system, you would be able to account for those conditions.
He's right.... total buzz kill but correct none the less. :yeah:
Pavement, crowds and inaccurate rifles...
Thanks anyway.

JUNK SCIENCE, Never touch the stuff...
If you are reading this you can now tell your friends that you know someone that drinks Rainier
Sometimes the main rd.....sometimes the Candy Trail

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 07:24:19 PM »
I am about ready to drop off my 7 MM Mag to a local gun mechanic / artist. 

Like others have said you need to determine what your goal from a distance shooting and your budget.   

275 down 2

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 07:33:39 PM »
Look up the huskama, your 7 mm mag will shoot well beyond your 500 and 600 if worked up cirrectly :tup:
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 07:57:35 PM »
If you dont have a budget buy a gunwerks rifle its 1000 yards out of the box
Just thinking that myself.... they have the scope too. Will workup the load for you and give you the recipe with it.
Wala something I've always wanted to do myself.
I was being foolishly frugal

not that easy, I have the gunwerks 7mag, load data is given but the COAL is 3.42 which wont work thru a stock action magazine. The "magic" of a custom rifle cost includes this modified magazine and action to allow the longer loads that are very close to land of barrel. everything helps accuracy. your standard 7mag should shoot 1moa out of box. getting a quality scope and once a load is worked up, you can provide this data to a custom turret shop and get one cut. The real variable is the velocity. chrono's have a limit so your custom turret may require a second based on actual performance. After you have something cut, you shoot and its off, hi or low, you can take the difference and reverse the math to actual muzzle velocity and get a new one cut.. I think the gunwerks guys were with huskamaw before they started on their own. gunwerks uses nightforce scopes.

The most important step is load development for a tight group. what works best for your rifle. if you are not within (worst case) 1 moa, or 1 inch group at 100 yds, keep searching for the right combo of powder type and grains to find the tightest group that your gun will shoot and if you cant get there, look at your shooting for bad habits. The rest will fall from there.

yes this can be done with a thrifty hand, a lot of the costs you see from these custom makers includes all this background effort which is hours and hours of the process...

if you want to talk more, send me email...
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline Torrent50

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2014, 08:20:01 PM »
Well, if money is no object you could always go with a local company and get a rifle built.   :chuckle:

http://rbrosrifles.com/rifle-packages/long-range-hunter/
"when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."  Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline kbrowne14

• Hunter
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 08:54:58 PM »
Like I said earlier, anybody who knows anything about precision shooting will tell you to stay away from custom turrets.  In my opinion, I think that companies that sell these custom turrets are giving people the wrong idea and it is almost irresponsible.  They are telling people that all you have to do is dial to the yardage and shoot, that is not the case.  There is so much more that goes into it.  They are making people think that they can shoot to 1000 yards anytime they want.  I have spoken to numerous people that think this is true.  There is a reason why the military snipers don't use a system like this, police marksmen, Benchrest shooters, Precision Rifle Series competitors, etc. 
"We got a little distracted by somebody doin' the Repeater."

"Huh. That'll happen.  That will happen."

Offline Goshawk

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2014, 04:00:06 PM »
Scrap the custom dials and stick with a good quality Mildot or Horus. Much faster to range and use.

FWIW, That 7mm is already quite a long range gun. 
You could rebarrel it to the 338win mag since your bolts are the same.
You'll never get a Big'un if you keep shooting Little'un's.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2014, 04:12:52 PM »
That whole Gunwerks rifle system with the scope and custom turrets is a bunch of BS.  If you are going to have a custom rifle built, have a custom rifle built, put a nice optic on it that has actual mil/moa adjustments with a reticle to match.  Don't buy into that Gunwerks system, "Just Dial the range on the turret and shoot!"  It would only be precise if the atmospheric conditions were identical to the conditions where the load was developed.  As soon as you get on the mountain, or in hotter or colder temperatures, the turrets would mean nothing.  But with a mil/moa standard system, you would be able to account for those conditions.

Not entirely the case with the Leica or Gunwerx rangefinders that automatically adjust for elevation, temperature and barometric pressure - instantly.   The custom turret solution works for hunters - its just an argument of whether the auto adjusting rangefinder is more or less accurate than manually accounting for atmospheric changes.  Less than 800 yards I find letting the rangefinder make the adjustments quicker and as accurate as referring to charts or a pda and dialing mils.  Of course my dial is engraved to match my rangefinder and load.    Now if you had a rangefinder that didn't compensate for atmospheric changes then of course accuracy would suffer much more.   

Offline xXLojackXx

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2014, 06:44:41 PM »
Take your 7mm up to Benchmark Rifles and tell them what you want. Barry, Ron, and Chris are some cool guys and make one hell of a barrel and rifle. My .338 was built by Benchmark and it rings 12" plates out to 1600 yards all day.

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 10:27:36 AM »

Not entirely the case with the Leica or Gunwerx rangefinders that automatically adjust for elevation, temperature and barometric pressure - instantly.   The custom turret solution works for hunters - its just an argument of whether the auto adjusting rangefinder is more or less accurate than manually accounting for atmospheric changes.  Less than 800 yards I find letting the rangefinder make the adjustments quicker and as accurate as referring to charts or a pda and dialing mils.  Of course my dial is engraved to match my rangefinder and load.    Now if you had a rangefinder that didn't compensate for atmospheric changes then of course accuracy would suffer much more.   
:yeah:

the turrets provided by gunwerks are subdivided in both BDC and MOA and are interchangable so the first quoted discussion is not really valid or true. The gunwerks rifle is just part of a complete system to be used to really execute long range shooting.. As said before, it takes practice!! Nothing is "out of the box" but if you don't have the time to work up/ develop load and gun, this IS a good system and will shoot 1/2 moa out of the box (if you can as a shooter). The trouble is most shooters are not to this level of skills out long distance... wind doping is really the developed understanding. For the most part, 750yds with a gentle breeze is very manageable with BDC stuff with limited shooting time, beyond that basic set of parameters, you must practice and learn....updrafts, angle shots, cross winds, reading conditions, directions, drift ect... THAT is where long range shooting starts!
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline kbrowne14

• Hunter
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2014, 04:25:00 PM »
I was unaware that there were also MOA adjustments on their rifles.  If there are, that makes the system much better.  I still think that it is borderline irresponsible though to advertise as just dial the yardage and shoot.  I believe that the majority of the people that buy that rifle will not take the time to understand precision shooting, the people that I have spoken to who have bought them are people that have no idea about precision shooting.  Nor do they have the shooting skills or knowledge to make precision shots on animals at distances.  I think that people should have an intimate knowledge of their rifles ballistic qualities, and making it seem as though its as easy as pie and any brand new shooter can kill animals at 1000+ yards is wrong in my opinion. 

Why not just buy a custom rifle and a nice optic? 
"We got a little distracted by somebody doin' the Repeater."

"Huh. That'll happen.  That will happen."

Offline xXLojackXx

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2014, 05:41:27 PM »
The people that buy Gunwerks rifles are the people with too much money and not enough knowledge of what makes along range rifle. You can build a $2400 rifles that shoots bugholes for groups. 1/4 MOA is 1/4 MOA. Wether it cost you $2400 or $6400 is up to you. You're worlds ahead of a Gunwerks rifle if you spent $2k on a used custom rifle and $4k on ammo to learn how to shoot.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2014, 05:53:28 PM »
Are you going to shoot animals at 1000 yards or shoot steel at 1000 yards ? 2 different type of gun needs in my mind.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2014, 06:55:52 PM »
For a gun that will shoot accurately enough at 500 to 600 yards you don't need to spend that much money. Pretty much any factory Remington with custom loads and a good scope and compitant shooter will do this.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2014, 06:58:27 PM »
My stock Savage model 10 308 is a 8-900 yard shooter all day....with scope, $950
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]