collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Rut Report GMU 204 Late Archery  (Read 9360 times)

Offline jweber240

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Rut Report GMU 204 Late Archery
« on: November 22, 2014, 04:01:32 PM »
Hi everyone. Planning on heading out to GMU 204 for late archery day after thanksgiving for a few days. Does anyone know what type of rut activity is going on around that time period over there. Is it better to hunt later in the late hunt or at the opener? Have some acreage over there I'll be on but it's been many years since I've hunted that unit due to work. Appreciate any advice.

Offline fishingnut71

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
Re: Rut Report GMU 204 Late Archery
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 07:26:41 PM »
stay on the west side. no deer over here!

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 07:37:01 PM »
Nobody is seeing any activity. It did snow last night, so maybe that might help. Honestly, nothing moving behind the does.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline jweber240

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 11:28:03 AM »
stay on the west side. no deer over here!

Plenty of deer I know that from the past. I've got 40ac backing up to state land that trickles into national forest. I've hunted early archery and late archery with success I just checking in to see if any locals have been seeing any activity for me to get out earlier in the season or later. Haven't been to my property in years so have no idea what the deer are doing these days. Appreciate everyone's input. Hope to arrow an animal this season. I'll keep an eye on the weather and hope for snow to get things moving around.

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 03:08:12 PM »
We were over there last weekend and according to the cams we have had out there is very little whitetail activity. The only two bucks we have on camera regular are totally nocturnal still and while checking through regularly not chasing does but that was a week ago. Good luck!

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 12:37:18 PM »
Saw my first rutting whitetail this morning here in Curlew. The snow must of helped....

Offline Tonasketstickflinger

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 02:59:16 PM »
Been getting new bucks on cam everyday there starting to move around

Offline Birdguy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 05:21:12 PM »
Been getting new bucks on cam everyday there starting to move around

Sweet cannot wait to see what is on the cams. Hunting partner went archery this year so he will be over there Wednesday-Monday.

Tonasketstickflinger PM on the way!

Offline jweber240

• Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 11:49:35 PM »
This is what I want to read. Sounds like it's starting.  I'll be over there Friday-Monday. In regards to tactics what is recommended this time of year? Does anyone really do any rattling or just still hunting? I hunt from the ground in a Ghillie and have been successful but have never been hunting during the rut and was wondering what you all prefer this time of year? I don't have a set of real rattling horns. Just those sticks in a bag which who knows if they work or not. If you rattle do you use a call as well?

Offline ribka

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 08:35:20 AM »
This is what I want to read. Sounds like it's starting.  I'll be over there Friday-Monday. In regards to tactics what is recommended this time of year? Does anyone really do any rattling or just still hunting? I hunt from the ground in a Ghillie and have been successful but have never been hunting during the rut and was wondering what you all prefer this time of year? I don't have a set of real rattling horns. Just those sticks in a bag which who knows if they work or not. If you rattle do you use a call as well?

Find the does and their travel routes. The  bucks will be near by or come.  Rattle very sparingly a soft  grunt tube will sometimes bring a buck in.

Offline Doublelunger

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 09:19:16 AM »

Find the does and their travel routes. The  bucks will be near by or come.  Rattle very sparingly a soft  grunt tube will sometimes bring a buck in.

Don't be afraid to use the primos "can". Its not just a gimmick. When its the right time you can bring bucks in on a  rope!

Offline jweber240

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 10:39:35 AM »

Don't be afraid to use the primos "can". Its not just a gimmick. When its the right time you can bring bucks in on a  rope!

I've got one of those Primos "cans." I'll try it out. How long do you call for? Several minutes or continually call for a long duration? Getting excited for this weekend. I thank you all for lending dome tips and news of rut activity.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 06:46:29 PM »
I saw a real nice one taken in the 101 today.......the guy told me it was being dumb...

Offline JACKMAN

• Pilgrim
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 07:57:35 PM »
We finished off the late rifle season with a nice buck at 4:15 on the 20th. We worked that whole unit for a solid week before then and there was very little rut activity, just a lot of ice and cold.  The buck we got on the 20th had some does with him and he was not to worried us. He was a stud.

You would think they should be getting pretty hot and bothered by now...

Offline Birdguy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 08:13:01 PM »
We finished off the late rifle season with a nice buck at 4:15 on the 20th. We worked that whole unit for a solid week before then and there was very little rut activity, just a lot of ice and cold.  The buck we got on the 20th had some does with him and he was not to worried us. He was a stud.

You would think they should be getting pretty hot and bothered by now...

You advertise a stud and then offer no pictures  :yike:  :bdid:  :chuckle:. Congrats on the buck but do not be afriad to post a picture or five.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]