collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: I-594 and muzzleloaders  (Read 10452 times)

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA (Life), RMEF, SAF (Life), American Legion (Life), Master Hunter
I-594 and muzzleloaders
« on: November 22, 2014, 05:50:07 PM »
Does I-594 apply to muzzleloaders?

Currently you can buy a muzzleloader without going through an FFL.  Can buy and ship without an FFL.

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
Re: I-594 and muzzleloaders
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 05:53:39 PM »
i have alink in the outdorr activist part go check but yes I beleive it does even though you don't have to go through a FFL now you will  :bash:
but for me don't comply it's the only voice that they will hear not us just complying they will say oh ok they don't care and go for more and more and more and more and more untill it's all gone!
each time we threaten if a law passes but don't do as we threat and when it does we just roll over we tell them they can just do what they want.
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline TopOfTheFoodChain

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 07:59:49 AM »
Looks like it does now. See wording of unlawful bill below.

Section 9 of the final wording on the bill:
(9) "Firearm" means a weapon or device from which a projectile or projectiles may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder.
(10) "Gun" has the same meaning as firearm.

Section 20
(20) "Sale" and "sell" mean the actual approval of the delivery of a firearm in consideration of payment or promise of payment.

Section 25
(25) "Transfer" means the intended delivery of a firearm to another person without consideration of payment or promise of payment including, but not limited to, gifts and loans.

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 08:18:44 AM »
While I see your point, here's yet ANOTHER contradiction within 594... but I think this similar to the exemption that allows muzzleloaders to be sold over the mail currently as well, so I'm pretty sure you're okay...  Again, I know its not clear, so you'd probably be okay after you hired a lawyer and defended yourself in court.

This measure would extend criminal and public safety background checks to all gun sales or transfers. Background checks would not be required for gifts between immediate family members or for antiques.

Sec. 2. RCW 9.41.010 and 2013 c 183 s 2 are each amended to read as follows:
Unless the context clearly requires otherwise, the definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter.
(1) "Antique firearm" means a firearm or replica of a firearm not designed or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898, including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 08:24:58 AM »
This measure would extend criminal and public safety background checks to all gun sales or transfers. Background checks would not be required for gifts between immediate family members or for antiques.

Sec. 2. RCW 9.41.010 and 2013 c 183 s 2 are each amended to read as follows:
Unless the context clearly requires otherwise, the definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter.
(1) "Antique firearm" means a firearm or replica of a firearm not designed or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898, including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

I highlighted another point above, antiques are only those guns produced before 1898.  Modern smokepoles are covered.

By their definition, potato guns may be covered as well.  They use the term "explosive" which isn't technically correct as well as "gunpowder" which is obviously almost never used.

Basically, antiques are exempt as they are really not fired but are museum type pieces.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 08:33:35 AM »
The way the initiative is written, modern muzzleloaders are not exempt from background checks.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Chukarhead

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 09:05:23 AM »
Looks like it does now. See wording of unlawful bill below.

Section 9 of the final wording on the bill:
(9) "Firearm" means a weapon or device from which a projectile or projectiles may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder.
(10) "Gun" has the same meaning as firearm.

Section 20
(20) "Sale" and "sell" mean the actual approval of the delivery of a firearm in consideration of payment or promise of payment.

Section 25
(25) "Transfer" means the intended delivery of a firearm to another person without consideration of payment or promise of payment including, but not limited to, gifts and loans.

Bummer.  Buying "safe & sane" fireworks will be a challenge next summer!  :bash:

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 09:08:46 AM »
that's quite a change, when i bought my muzzleloader at the defunct lacey wholesale sports,i wasn't even carded!
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 09:15:59 AM »
Challenge:

Can someone find me what in the state language refers to "modern muzzleloaders" any different than the same definition of "antique firearms"?

I think 594 took the existing language for antique firearm, which I BELIEVE is what currently covers muzzleloaders in our state today.  Can someone find me something different in current wa code?  If that is the case, then 594 would not apply to muzzleloaders.

I do not think 594 fundamentally changed the definition of a muzzleloader compared to how the state listed it before.  All I can find in the WAC is reference to antique firearms, for which muzzleloaders count as a "modern replica".   :dunno:

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 09:21:47 AM »
modern style break, bolt and lever muzzleloaders have been around since before 1898.  I think they're covered.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 09:23:27 AM »
Challenge:

Can someone find me what in the state language refers to "modern muzzleloaders" any different than the same definition of "antique firearms"?

I think 594 took the existing language for antique firearm, which I BELIEVE is what currently covers muzzleloaders in our state today.  Can someone find me something different in current wa code?  If that is the case, then 594 would not apply to muzzleloaders.

I do not think 594 fundamentally changed the definition of a muzzleloader compared to how the state listed it before.  All I can find in the WAC is reference to antique firearms, for which muzzleloaders count as a "modern replica".   :dunno:
In Washington state law, muzzleloaders are considered firearms. I-594 does not change that. It does exempt "antique firearms" from background checks, but most muzzleloaders (i.e. "modern muzzleloaders") do not meet the i-594 definition of an "antique firearm" and thus are subject to the same requirements as other rifles.

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 09:33:50 AM »
Lets settle this once and for all, before this thread gets out of hand.

Everybody pitch in and start a fund, then give it to me and on Dec 5, I will head down and purchase the latest, most modern muzzle loader on the rack and we will see if I have to go through the instant background check.

Actually, lets pool enough so I can test the law 3 or 4 times to get an accurate reading...I volunteer all in the name of clarification. 

I am just helpful that way..... :IBCOOL:
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 09:45:39 AM »
Challenge:

In Washington state law, muzzleloaders are considered firearms. I-594 does not change that. It does exempt "antique firearms" from background checks, but most muzzleloaders (i.e. "modern muzzleloaders") do not meet the i-594 definition of an "antique firearm" and thus are subject to the same requirements as other rifles.

Not trying to be a pain in the butt, but what prevented them from requiring background checks if they've always been considered firearms?  (Pre-594 as in today)

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 09:55:18 AM »
Good question.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 09:57:01 AM »
Challenge:

Not trying to be a pain in the butt, but what prevented them from requiring background checks if they've always been considered firearms?  (Pre-594 as in today)
Federal law exempts them from background checks.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal