collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: weimaraner puppy  (Read 3579 times)

Offline wolftrapper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF Pheasants Forever NRA
weimaraner puppy
« on: November 23, 2014, 06:08:20 AM »
Any Weimaraner enthusiasts out there?

My GSP suddenly has too much arthritis to hunt this season, so I will be in the market for a puppy this coming spring.  I am looking for a Weimaraner as my first choice, but I realize that it will be more difficult to find a good Weim, than a good GSP.  I have owned both, and each breed had it's strong points.  The Weim was the best retrieving dog I have ever seen, but his pointing instinct wasn't as strong as the GSP.  I guess my biggest problem with the GSP is he was so hyper.  The Weim was a much calmer dog, and both were awesome hunting dogs.

So, I guess I'm looking for a Weim with strong pointing instinct, or a GSP with some self control!  (Don't know if there is such an animal).

Any Weim breeders out there?

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
Re: weimaraner puppy
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 07:52:47 AM »
I'd say you probably got lucky with your last Weim. Thanks to poor breeding practices in the show world and unfortunate publicity in the movies that made people want them as pets a lot of those dogs can be real nut jobs.

That said, there are some breeders trying to bring them back as proper hunting dogs. These folks are out of state but breed nice dogs...

http://www.timberdoodleweims.net/

Offline JayBird02

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 12:25:57 AM »
Leslie Like down by Portland breeds nice weimaraners. I know she runs them in both hunt test and field trials.

Offline wolftrapper

• Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF Pheasants Forever NRA
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 05:38:17 AM »
Thanks, guys.  I will check them out.
Yeah, I think my former Weim was the exception....for any breed.  He came out of Nebraska.  A fellow there had a breeding program where he picked up field trial drop out Weims.  His goal was a larger, stronger dog, that could bull through heavy cover all day, but not go over the horizon.  The fellow has since passed away, and his breeding program with him.

Few people can appreciate it when I tell them about my dog's retrieving ability.  He lived to be twelve, and had hundreds of pheasant retrieves.  He only failed to find TWO pheasants, in his life!  One crawled into a beaver house, and I dragged Buck out by his tail, as he tried to dig his way in (his tail was all I could see).  The other was a bird that dropped dead in heavy cover, with a dozen other birds flushing all around.  I believe that was his first year.

He was very methodical about finding a bird.  If he didn't find it outright, he would start circling the area, in ever expanding rings, until he picked up the trail, and after a time, I never doubted him.  One retrieve in particular that I recall:  I had dropped a rooster that had gone onto private land, it was wing-tipped, and it was raining.  I t took him twenty minutes, but he recovered that bird.  He was a hound on a trail.

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 07:59:59 AM »
I don't know if it's available on demand but Timbersoodle Weims was featured in an episode of American Gun Dog.

Offline constructeur

• Hunter
  • Groups: NAVHDA
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 08:44:16 PM »
We had a Weim as a kid, I have only fond memories of the family dog. As stated above though, the breed doesn't make my cut due to the show breeding issues...it's just much easier to find a nice GSP or Wirehair, so...

With that said, I'm a NAVHDA member and have been able to plant some birds for some nice Weims in the last few tests. There's a couple of ladies breeding dogs under the name Regen Weimeraners, one of them living in Ephrata, one in Snohomish. That would be my first pick if I were in the market.

http://www.regen-weimaraners.com/

Offline L-ofalab

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 04:27:23 AM »
If you are serious about the breed send me a PM. My friend's boss has a couple that he hunts with. When I was young my Grandpa had a pair that were very good.
A smart dog will bring 2 beverages to save a trip to the fridge!

Offline Torrent50

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 07:51:36 AM »
I will second the reply to look up Leslie Like.  She definitely values the hunting aspect of the breed.
"when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."  Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline JayBird02

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 10:26:16 AM »
I will second the reply to look up Leslie Like.  She definitely values the hunting aspect of the breed.
Just be careful Jim might try to sell you on a Brittany instead haha.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal