collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dr. Mora requests your assistance with independent elk hoof disease research  (Read 15523 times)

Offline jongosch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Journalist, Novelist
Many of you are already familiar with Dr. Boone Mora, a Parasitology expert and former County Health Director living in Skamokawa.  Dr. Mora continues to believe there is a strong chance that the source of elk hoof disease is a deadly bacterial infection known as leptospirosis.  Importantly, this infection is considered the world's most common zoonosis, meaning it can easily be transmitted from animals to humans, and can be fatal if proper precautions aren't taken.  Leptospirosis is commonly misdiagnosed as aseptic meningitis, hepatitis, influenza, pneumonia, brucellosis and food poisoning.

For the past two years Dr. Mora has offered his help and expertise to WDFW at no expense, but so far his generosity has been stonewalled at every turn.  It is well worth mentioning that WDFW's own research demonstrates that leptospirosis is indeed present in our elk herds and began to infect significant numbers of elk around the same time that hoof disease was first reported in SW Washington.  Some have tried to paint Dr. Mora as an old crackpot, but I can assure you that the man is brilliant.  Recently I was contacted by RMEF and it appears they will be featuring Dr. Mora in their upcoming issue of Bugle magazine.

Personally, I'm more inclined to believe herbicides are at the root of hoof rot, HOWEVER, I am not a scientist nor an expert therefore I SUPPORT any HONEST scientific research that may help us understand the cause of this disease and which may protect hunters from exposure to dangerous bactera.

Here's how you can help:

Dr. Mora just purchased $300 worth of media which he would like to utilize by obtaining biological samples of freshly killed elk, preferably those suffering from hoof disease.  Dr. Mora would like to obtain small samples from the elk's kidney, eye, blood, and synovial fluid from the joints.  The challenge is that the elk must be freshly killed (within a couple hours) so assisting with sample collection will take some coordination.  Dr. Mora told me that he would be willing to trail hunters in his own vehicle or be on-call to meet those hunting in the Willapa area.  Best of all would be hunters willing to let him ride along in their vehicles. 

Those interested in assisting with this independent research project are asked to contact Dr. Boone Mora personally at:

360-795-8716
or
booneandjean@gmail.com

Learn more about Dr. Mora and leptospirosis here:
http://jongosch.com/infected-elk-may-pose-serious-health-risk-to-humans/

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope

The challenge is that the elk must be freshly killed (within a couple hours) so assisting with sample collection will take some coordination.  Dr. Mora told me that he would be willing to trail hunters in his own vehicle or be on-call to meet those hunting in the Willapa area. 

Is there any hunts still open in there anymore this year?
I don't see anything in the Willapa Hills GMU 506.

:dunno:
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jongosch

• Tracker
  • Journalist, Novelist
Jackelope, I'm sure you're right.  I hadn't consulted the game pamphlet about the Willapa.  But Dr. Mora is willing to do some driving to get his samples.  As long as the elk is legally harvested.

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
So, if someone were doing research relying on legally harvested elk...wouldn't it make a whole lot of sense to identify when seasons are open so as to maximize one's opportunity to collect samples?  Typically, research is carefully planned and implemented in ways that minimize oversight like this.

While this is perhaps a simple mistake it does not give me much faith that Dr. Mora possesses the knowledge and abilities to address this serious issue.  I think we can all applaud Dr. Mora for having a desire to help elk...but this little mistake is just one prime example of why we should leave wildlife research to the professionals.  The only thing worse than no information is bad information.   :twocents: 
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Lots of January cow permits. Plus archery season from Nov 26 - Dec 15.

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
I stand corrected.  Perhaps Dr. Mora has a better sampling plan than I presumed.
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline chester

• Sourdough
A lot of limping cows are going to be taken this week, I'll call if anyone I know fills there tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dilligaf

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope

Lots of January cow permits. Plus archery season from Nov 26 - Dec 15.

Gotcha. Missed those.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Little Dave

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
So, if someone were doing research relying on legally harvested elk...wouldn't it make a whole lot of sense to identify when seasons are open so as to maximize one's opportunity to collect samples?  Typically, research is carefully planned and implemented in ways that minimize oversight like this.

While this is perhaps a simple mistake it does not give me much faith that Dr. Mora possesses the knowledge and abilities to address this serious issue.  I think we can all applaud Dr. Mora for having a desire to help elk...but this little mistake is just one prime example of why we should leave wildlife research to the professionals.  The only thing worse than no information is bad information.   :twocents:

Apparently he worked as a guest researcher studying this organism for the CDC back in 1977.  They don't let just any country bumpkin walk in the door and start messing around with the stuff in the petri dishes. He earned his doctorate the next year at the University of North Carolina.  Retired from a career in public health over there and now lives in our area.  I think it's neat that we have a credentialed biologist volunteering to look into this matter for us.  Apparently he is proactive.  Last February he tried to solicit help from the DFW.  The relevant minutes from the meeting on February 12, 2014.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/about/advisory/ehd/minutes_021214_EHD.pdf
Boone Mora: He knows what causes the disease and how to cure it.  Leptospirosis is not diagnosed in the US because 83% of cases are missed. He doesn't believe it is treponema because treponema works on the hoof. He has read many papers on Leptospirosis and there are 200 types (it is ubiquitous) and it is transported by water. There is a primary lesion in all forms which is damage to the epithelial cells of the small membranes. He did a study that showed 20% of the US population has had Leptospirosis. He believes it is the cause of HD and it has not been investigated and would like to investigate it for free. All he needs is three elk.

This was well before the application period for draws.  In the past I've received letters forwarded from the department asking for a sample of this or that when I draw a permit.  So the department could have assisted Dr. Mora.

So I turn the criticism around to the DFW, who may have a number of staff members as credentialed as Dr. Mora among their staff.  Deliver him three elk as he has requested.

Offline t6

• Longhunter
  • Groups: People opposed to internet liars.... you know who you are.
The research was left up to the "Professionals" (Laughable at best).... In 20 years they have given us three guesses so far but have refused to test for what seems to be the obvious. 

Yup... that's great science....  :bash:

Good Luck to Dr. Mora with his testing.  If by chance I shoot one that is ill, I'll grab some samples and head his way. 

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Dr. Mora may not have a handle on our different elk seasons and units, as he's not a hunter himself. Many of our hunters have a hard time figuring those out, too. The fact that such an esteemed biologist is willing to give his free time and testing resources speaks volumes about his character and his concern for our wildlife. Attempts to discredit him and his research by WDFW biologists and others connected to the timber industry tells me that he's striking nerves. His vast experience in work specifically with leptospirosis shouldn't be ignored. But so far, it has been, at least by the people who could most benefit of it.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline headshot5

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
I know the WDFW is planning on culling some limping elk here in the next few months.  I'm guessing there are going to be some Master Hunters involved in the culling.  It is quite possible some of these Master Hunters are involved on this site.  It would be a very opportune time for someone involved to collect samples.  Just a thought for some of the Master Hunters out there.   

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
Dr. Mora just purchased $300 worth of media which he would like to utilize by obtaining biological samples of freshly killed elk, preferably those suffering from hoof disease.

What kind of media?  And how do you utilize media in this manner?  $300 doesn't sound like very much!

If I had a rifle cow tag I'd certainly allow this guy to tag along.  Sounds like that would be one great opportunity to learn a great deal.  If there were any elk left in the Winston I would invite him on an archery hunt.  Four years ago that would be a short hunt and productive for him.  These days it would probably be a waste of time >:(
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
I know the WDFW is planning on culling some limping elk here in the next few months.  I'm guessing there are going to be some Master Hunters involved in the culling.  It is quite possible some of these Master Hunters are involved on this site.  It would be a very opportune time for someone involved to collect samples.  Just a thought for some of the Master Hunters out there.   

That's an interesting point I hadn't considered.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline jongosch

• Tracker
  • Journalist, Novelist
What kind of media?  And how do you utilize media in this manner?  $300 doesn't sound like very much!

Media or culture medium is something designed to help grow and develop microorganisms, bacteria, cells, etc. so that a scientist can study them more closely. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]