collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ball joints?  (Read 4385 times)

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
Ball joints?
« on: November 24, 2014, 04:13:42 PM »
My daughter has a 2001 Chev Blazer and has been told by her mechanic that the shocks and ball joints need replacing. I can do the shocks for her but I don't have the tools or experience replacing ball joints. They want $350 for the front shocks and $625 for the ball joints. Is the price quote for the ball joints a fair price? Thanks
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Ball joints?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 04:32:26 PM »
Assuming they're not double-dipping the ball joint labor and the shock labor, it's probably fair. If it's lower BJ's it's 2.9 hours labor plus alignment. At $120.00 per hour, which is probably average, that's $348.00 in labor. Figure $89.95 for alignment, then parts on top of that. I think, and I'm not at a Chevy service dept, but I think that the shocks should pretty much be no labor if you're doing the BJ's so do the BJ's and replace the shocks at which point you're just buying the parts anyway. I know there's a couple GM guys on here. Maybe coachcw or  dewandgin will chime in to verify my thoughts.
p.s. I know for sure that they go bad frequently.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline demontang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 04:36:35 PM »
Looks like they are charging time on both, the shocks are simple to do and you can save money or get some really nice ones for the price they are asking. The ball joints seem about right. I bought a tools to do ball joints and have save a lot of money over the years but you need to know how to do them.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 04:41:23 PM »
Alldata calls for 1.2 hours for the shocks.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 04:50:03 PM »
If you give me the specifics on the rig I will give you and exact quote for labor times and parts . be careful and get good ball joints the better brands are doublr the price in the 60 dollar range per but worth it . If its a 4wd the labor for upper and lower bjs is 4.0hr
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline raydog

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 04:56:26 PM »
If you give me the specifics on the rig I will give you and exact quote for labor times and parts . be careful and get good ball joints the better brands are doublr the price in the 60 dollar range per but worth it . If its a 4wd the labor for upper and lower bjs is 4.0hr
I got a 1997 4wd. Can't remember the exact time but it was way less than 4 hours.

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 05:01:07 PM »
Ball Joint
Replace
Lower Ball Joint
Front Suspension

One Side
Does Not Include Alignment.
B   1.2   1.6
Both Sides
B   2.1   2.9
Upper Ball Joint
Front Suspension

One Side
B   0.8   1.1
Both Sides
B   1.3   1.9
 :dunno: 2.9 Plus .5 for each of the uppers, pretty close to 4...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 06:14:16 AM by Woodchuck »
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 05:17:18 PM »
so the ball joints are $30.00.upper and $55.00 lower for a good joint , and shocks are 45-70 depending on quality . book time on Mitchell one is 4.0 for all . often we find they only need lowers which would be 2.9 hrs . in my shop I'd ad .5 hours to do the shocks so depending on what's needed you can figure $425.00 for lowers or 570.00 for all of them ad $140.00-$190.00 for the shocks depending on quality . so if he's around $600.00 for the ball joints he's pretty close as long as they arnt the cheap master ride brand . I hope that clarifies it for you.
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 05:18:52 PM »
These threads always crack me up

Two labor guides i have show upper both sides 1.9, lowers both sides 2.9 which is 4.8hrs
Shocks at 1.2 both sides.
You wont be removing the shocks to do the ball joints but since you are already there i would discount the labor for one of my customers on the shocks
These are also most likely still the original ball joints so removing the rivets is fun...
Like coach said, make sure they use or ask them to use the best ball joints avail.. :twocents:

Raydog, if you can do uppers and lowers with the rivets still in them at home in under 4hrs :kneel:
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 05:23:24 PM »
 :yeah:
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 05:33:34 PM »
I got a 1997 4wd. Can't remember the exact time but it was way less than 4 hours.
book time on a 1997 s10 4x4 upper and lowers is 4.0 and a 2wd upper and lower is 2.8 hrs. most good techs will beat the four hours flat rate on this job but have a hoist and hi horse jack and a balljoint press and air hammer . in your drive way its all of four hours . if a guy can do these on a brake scooter and do a quality job in way under four hours come see me and I will give you a job.

Offline demontang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 06:16:26 PM »
I love these threads I remember when I worked in the shop and saw easy money on rigs. The chevy balljoint jobs seem to get handed down a lot.

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 01:21:53 AM »
You can do shocks heck my mechanic sent me home to do shocks myself after being impressed by the 45 degree angle one of mine was sporting.  And I am just a girl.
  Ball joints I did an assist (stand around feeling useless, handing off tools, finding things and grabbing beer out of a cooler) on this many years ago on one of our many chevys I recall lots of cussing and lots of hours, we even had a chevy mechanic helping, ok so we used his garage and tools it still was really not a do it yerself kinda dealyo. 

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 06:13:04 AM »
You can do shocks heck my mechanic sent me home to do shocks myself after being impressed by the 45 degree angle one of mine was sporting.  And I am just a girl.
  Ball joints I did an assist (stand around feeling useless, handing off tools, finding things and grabbing beer out of a cooler) on this many years ago on one of our many chevys I recall lots of cussing and lots of hours, we even had a chevy mechanic helping, ok so we used his garage and tools it still was really not a do it yerself kinda dealyo. 
Probably too much beer to early into the job Run ! :chuckle:

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 12:35:42 PM »
Probably too much beer to early into the job Run ! :chuckle:

could be correct I was a mighty expedient barmaid in my youth no one ever ran out of beer with me around. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal