collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: muzzy condensation?  (Read 4338 times)

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
muzzy condensation?
« on: November 24, 2014, 05:18:49 PM »
I will be puting my daughters muzzy in gun case while its still cold from the days hunt.I know to keep it in truck and not bring into warm room will the gun case keep it from getting warm and causing condensation because we will be in a suv so that will heat up on ride back.I hope this question makes some sense.
Thank you
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline elkboy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: muzzy condensation?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 05:48:49 PM »
I have always had decent luck (i.e., muzzy will fire next day) with storing in a nice insulated gun case.  If the gun is wet from rain or mist, I like to dry it off with a dry cloth in the vehicle before putting it away.  Even if we blast the heat in the vehicle, the gun has always been relatively protected from condensation.  It does help to throw a sleeping bag or thick blanket over the gun case for an additional layer of insulation.   

One extra thought: after a few bad experiences with wet powder, my hunting buddies and I always discharge our muzzleloaders after a wet day in the field (that is, more than 3-4 hours of rain through the course of the day).  We then clean and dry out the muzzleloaders indoors, and pop a cap through and reload to ensure a dry powder charge for the next day's hunt. 

Good luck! 

Offline Damnimissed

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 07:41:30 PM »
I've heard of people pressing a piece of leather onto the nipple with the action. I was actually was really busy/lazy and didn't get to a place to get rid of my load/charge from early muzzy elk. It has been kept in the safe in my garage which has no dehumidifier for almost a month and a half without anything over the nipple. I shoot RWS 1075s and it went off on the second shot which wasn't a hang fire.

Offline RG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 09:19:51 PM »
Don't worry it will shoot just fine.  I've been muzzleloading since 1975. Never had condensation during a hunt.  If it doesn't shoot it's because there was oil in the breach when it was loaded. I leave it loaded for 10 days at a time, it always shoots, even the flintlocks. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 07:34:45 AM by RG »
And I think God must be a cowboy at heart
 He made wide open spaces from the start
 He made grass and trees and mountains and a horse to be a friend
 And trails to lead ol' cowboys home again

Chris Ledoux...

Offline plugger

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 06:52:08 AM »
I discharge mine at the end of every day regardless of the weather. Fire a few caps through it each morning and reload. I and the guys that I hunt with have all had miss fires before we started doing this, none since. A few bullets wasted is better than a miss fire or worse, a delayed fire.

Offline floatinghat

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 06:18:27 PM »
I didn't fire a shot during early elk.  It fired fine late modern deer.  It had been in and out of cars,tents, hotels etc

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 06:23:13 PM »
I discharge mine at the end of every day regardless of the weather. Fire a few caps through it each morning and reload. I and the guys that I hunt with have all had miss fires before we started doing this, none since. A few bullets wasted is better than a miss fire or worse, a delayed fire.
I agree with this no sense in missing a animal over such a small thing . my dad And I had 92 knights and he let his sit overnight after a damp day , the next morning we got on deer he pulled up and shot , snap ! so he held on or so he thought about five seconds later boom ! blew both front legs of the deer next to the one he shot . not a pretty sight right there lucky the deer couldn't run away.
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline elkboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 06:27:27 PM »
For what it's worth, it rained so hard on me this afternoon that I shot the charge after dark, even though I was only out for two hours.  Coachcw is right- no sense in taking chances!  Shots at game are valuable opportunities.

Good luck all!

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 07:23:55 PM »
I agree with this no sense in missing a animal over such a small thing . my dad And I had 92 knights and he let his sit overnight after a damp day , the next morning we got on deer he pulled up and shot , snap ! so he held on or so he thought about five seconds later boom ! blew both front legs of the deer next to the one he shot . not a pretty sight right there lucky the deer couldn't run away.

If damp day and getting in and out of warm truck, I pull the breach plug and dump the powder out. run a couple of patches and then reload in the morning.  Too much risk of "no" bang.

Online ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 07:43:35 PM »

If damp day and getting in and out of warm truck, I pull the breach plug and dump the powder out. run a couple of patches and then reload in the morning.  Too much risk of "no" bang.

:yeah:
I will do that if I hunt in heavy rain. But no rain I just leave it in the truck. Five years no problem.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline kerrdog

• Scout
  • Dont believe everything you think.
    • Kerrexteriors  Roofing, Gutters, and Windows.
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 10:04:18 PM »
My opinion......muzzleloaders don't always go off.  I've had powder and cap that's hunted in the rain for days go boom.....and a fresh load at the range go snap.   :dunno:  Although much less since I got a Disc Extreme.

But I do like those Traditions barrel rubbers.  Those are pretty good.

Offline kenzmad

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 10:26:07 PM »
Not doable with the inlines, but with old Hawken. Electrical tape over the end of the barrel and nail polish around the #11 cap. Never a misfire or hangfire in 20 +years of hunting the westside in November.
A stranger ain't nothing more than a friend you haven't met yet

Offline elkboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 10:18:24 AM »
I do the electrical tape thing as well.  One strip lengthwise over the barrel, then a strip around the barrel to lock it on.  I haven't tried the nail polish yet, but I may have to raid the girlfriend's stash if this weather keeps up!

Offline Soady

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 10:26:09 PM »
My sidelocks when I had them got wax dripped over the cap and nipple. I later upgraded to a small 3/16 surgical tubing sleeve leaving the cap exposed. Both worked and the barrel was always carried pointed down and an occasional patch was used to move any excess moisture out.

Today the inline gets loaded beginning of early season when it is dry and stays that way until after late season, a strip of electrical tape over the end of the barrel if it is really raining. Today it went bang with no problems on a nice tasty deer and we have had some rains here of late. I just finished cleaning and reloading it for elk tomorrow. I think the biggest problems are over oiling the barrel as I have seen some real sludge come out of those who use too much oil.
Whatever........

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull