collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: hoof rot in SW Washington  (Read 3842 times)

Offline jae

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
hoof rot in SW Washington
« on: November 25, 2014, 10:05:49 AM »
I know this type of post has been on here several times, but a big Thank You to Wahkiakum County Commissioner Dan Cothren. He is trying hard to get the WDFW on top of this. Unfortunately probably with little results please see this video on You tube, Type in ('Going to be shocked' at elk herd deaths). Sorry I do not know how to post links.
There are several other You Tube videos just put in hoof rot. Elk herds in Wahkiakum, Cowlitz, and Pacific are never going to be the same.
Thank You,
John

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
Re: hoof rot in SW Washington
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 10:23:08 AM »
http://jcm.asm.org/content/early/2014/10/27/JCM.02276-14.full.pdf+html

An equally big thank you to WDFW staff who remain on the cutting edge of this very serious issue. 
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline jae

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 11:32:02 AM »
Thank You IDAHOHUNTR,
I am glad to see the updated information.
I wish there would have been more proactive parties in the early years of this travesty.
I hope the outcome is better than what I anticipate.
I was very frustrated after the Hoof Rot Meeting last spring, I had decided not to go to any more meetings. (to many questions that could not be answered)
I have seen the dramatic Elk decline personally (Cowlitz County, in my back yard, Stella Unit) over the last 5 to 6 years from 25 to 30 animals to 0 this year.
I grew up in Wahkiakum County and the elk herds (Wilapa Hills, Ryderwood, Fall River, Bear River Ext.) are lower than I have seen in My life.
Thank You again and please keep us posted on additional information,
John

Offline steelhead59

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 12:49:12 PM »
I hunted in Southwest Washington this year for elk and every herd me and my wife saw had animals limping with hoof rot. We had cow permits and yes we harvested a cow elk with hoof rot. I watched the animal I harvested for about 10 minutes before I shot her and observed her limping. We felt very sorry for the animals as we watched them, but decided it was better for the elk to harvest her, rather to have her continue her suffering trying to walk with her both back feet having hoof rot. Her muscle tone in her hind quarters was not what it normally would be either. We hunted mostly on private property, but also within timber company lands. We had no problem getting permission to hunt from the land owners that we asked. Most asked us to please to harvest an animal that we witness limping. All the land owners we asked were very concerned with the elk herds and their current physical condition, as these elk had been coming on their property to feed and raise their young for many years. We can only hope that WDFW and their scientist can come up with a solution before we no longer have elk within Western Washington, and yes it is a very real possibility NO ELK IN WESTERN WASHINGTON. It is still spreading like wild fire among our west side elk herds each and every day and possibly could spread into Eastern Washington as well. This would be devastating to hunters and wild animal watchers as well.

Offline GHETTO GUIDE

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 04:06:10 PM »
The link posted by Idahohuntr is not available to view.  Do you have to subscribe to the page$? 

Jae,  yes the Stella unit is on its way to being an endangered unit as I see it.  Few and far between compared to the years past.  The combo of hoof rot and being able to harvest cows has "killed" the population. 

I don’t give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way. "Mark Twain"

Offline ph-10 bow

• Tracker
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 06:01:32 PM »
I also live in Cowlitz county and have witnessed our elk totally disappear. its almost like losing a loved one for us that are so passionate about them. we just want answers and maybe to blame? I just hope our biologist are smart enough to suggest stop the cow harvest.

Offline Bullkllr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 07:31:52 PM »
I also live in Cowlitz county and have witnessed our elk totally disappear. its almost like losing a loved one for us that are so passionate about them. we just want answers and maybe to blame? I just hope our biologist are smart enough to suggest stop the cow harvest.

:yeah: Based on what's going on in the Margaret and Toutle (and surrounding units) this year, they waited a little too long to pull the plug on the cow harvests. Good thing is harvest numbers will be low, despite quite a few tags. Yes, management really needs to change imo.
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal