collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Which air rifle?  (Read 5060 times)

Offline jeepster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Which air rifle?
« on: November 25, 2014, 07:22:50 PM »
Hey guys,

So I moved out to Hawaii, and there are chickens and roosters everywhere, throuought the day, I have nearly a dozen walk through my yard, and those roosters make a lot of noise, I also have rats living in my coconut tree, and occasionally see them running around at night. This needs to end.

I forgot to mention the chickens and roosters are FERAL.

Feral as in, don't belong to anybody, live in the woods, wild animal, not to be confused with stray. These aren't birds that ran away, they are wild chickens

For years I shot a Benjamin 392 with a ported valve in .22, and it seemed to do the job on jays, an occasional squirrel, and beer cans, but it's pretty low velocity. I think it's around 540fps with 20gr kodiaks. Its a good pinker, but the stock isn't very comfortable either. I would like to up the caliber and go with a .25. I figure if I can get a 40gr eun Jin pellet going around 600-700fbs, that's similar to a sub sonic .22lr and would definitely do the job on these pests.

My only problem is money, so the Benjamin marauder, air force condor, or any of the nicer pcp guns are out of my budget. The Benjamin discovery looks promising, but is only in .22 so that limits how heavy of a pellet I can shoot.

I liked my old pump because I had control over how hard I was going to shoot something, but it had its limits.

What is a good all-around .25 pellet rifle that would be capable of spitting out a 30-40 grain pellet at a good velocity (anything over 600fps)? My shots aren't going to be more than 25 yards, but for the big birds, I want to do it cleanly. I don't care about noise, as I figure if my neighbors heard me shooting an air gun, they would probably come over and join, I just wanna do some pest control....

Thanks

Jeep

I'd consider eating the chickens/roosters too, probably taste like.... Grouse
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 08:33:49 PM by jeepster »
catch it. kill it. cook it. eat it.
Forget the bear spray, use wasp killer. Concentrated delivery stream, 10X the product, and only $3.00 on sale.

I smoke two fish in the morning, I smoke two fish at night, I smoke two fish in de afternoon makes me feel alright

Offline Kittman

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, US Navy
Re: Which air rifle?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 08:36:20 AM »
If I had to buy a non-pricey .25 caliber air gun, I think I would start by looking at these:

http://www.hatsanusa.com/products-page/spring-powered/mod-135/

http://www.amazon.com/Hatsan-Model-135-Rifle-rifle/dp/B00IC94B3S/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1417019436&sr=1-1&keywords=hatsan+135

Used big boy toys may be found on the internet, but finding one in .25 may not be as easy.  Otherwise RWS 34 in .22 caliber would be a safe reliable choice.  The ammo is easier to get.

http://www.amazon.com/Diana-RWS-Breakbarrel-Rifle-rifle/dp/B0007M8EJK/ref=sr_1_10?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1417019575&sr=1-10&keywords=rws+34+air+rifle+.22

Offline Gobble

• Frontiersman
  • Wack'em and Stack'em
    • Dave Harder
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 08:42:20 AM »
If your looking for a good deal that doesn't break the bank I purchased an air rifle off one of the travelling tool trucks that comes around once or twice a year to our area that has a real wood stock. 177 cal, one pump, and shoots 950 fps. and the kicker, I paid $20!!!!!! the gun is decent quality, my family has purchased several of these over the years and they work great

Offline luv2hunt

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, Ducks Unlimited, RMEF
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 08:54:49 AM »
Gamo whisper deluxe with GRT-III aftermarket trigger = Deadly combination  :tup:

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 09:25:47 AM »
so I looked and here is the law over there..

This comes from Chapter 41, Article 8 of the ROH:

Article 8. Air Guns
Sections:
41-8.1 Definitions.
41-8.2 Restrictions on sale, rental, gift or other transfer.
41-8.3 Restrictions on use.
41-8.4 Exceptions.
41-8.5 Seizure, forfeiture and disposal.
41-8.6 Violation--Penalty.

Sec. 41-8.1 Definitions.

"Air gun" means any gun, rifle or pistol, by whatever name known, which is designed to expel a pellet or BB shot by the
action of compressed air or gas, or by the action of a spring or elastic but does not include any firearm.

"Dealer" means any person engaged in the business of selling or renting air guns. (Sec. 13-19.1, R.O. 1978 (1983 Ed.))

Sec. 41-8.2 Restrictions on sale, rental, gift or other transfer.

(a) It is unlawful for any dealer to sell, lend, rent, give or otherwise transfer an air gun to any person under the age of 18 years
where the dealer knows or has reasonable cause to believe the person to be under 18 years of age or where the dealer has
failed to make reasonable inquiry relative to the age of such person and such person is under 18 years of age.

(b) It is unlawful for any person to sell, lend, rent, give or otherwise transfer any air gun to any person under 18 years of age,
except where the relationship of parent and child, guardian and ward, or adult instructor and pupil exists between such
person and the person under 18 years of age.
(Sec. 13-19.2, R.O. 1978 (1983 Ed.))

Sec. 41-8.3 Restrictions on use.

(a) It is unlawful for any person to carry or display an air gun on any street, alley, public road or on any public land, unless the
air gun is unloaded and in a suitable case or securely wrapped.

(b) It is unlawful for any person to discharge any air gun from or across any street, sidewalk, alley or public land, or any public
place except on a properly constructed target range.

(c) It is unlawful for any person to discharge any air gun on any private parcel of land or residence in such a manner that the
pellet or BB shot may reasonably be expected to traverse any ground or space outside the limits of such parcel of land or
residence or in such a manner that persons or property may be endangered; provided, that nothing in this article shall be
deemed to prevent any person who has obtained a hunting license pursuant to HRS Chapter 183D from engaging in
hunting in accordance with law.

(d) It is unlawful for any person to discharge any air gun in such a manner or under such circumstances that persons or
property may be endangered.

(Sec. 13-19.3, R.O. 1978 (1983 Ed.); Am. Ord. 96-58, 03-23)

Sec. 41-8.4 Exceptions.

(a) Kept within such person's domicile.

(b) Used by a person under 18 years of age, who is a duly enrolled member of any club, team or society organized for
education or training purposes and maintaining as a part of its facilities or having written permission to use an indoor or
outdoor target range, when the air gun is used at such target range under the supervision, guidance and instruction of a
responsible adult.

(c) Used by a person 18 years of age or older at a properly constructed target range.

(d) Used in or on any private parcel of land or residence under circumstances in which the air gun can be fired, discharged or
operated in such a manner as not to endanger persons or property and in such manner as to prevent the pellet or BB shot
from traversing any grounds or space outside the limits of such parcel of land or residence.

(e) Used in hunting or going to or from the place of hunting in accordance with law by a person who has obtained a hunting
license pursuant to HRS Chapter 183D or who, if such person is under 18 years of age, has obtained such a hunting license
and is accompanied by an adult who has obtained such hunting license.

(f) Used by a person involved in a living history presentation or other activity for historical interpretation or educational
purposes, or by a person participating in a parade if such activity or parade participant is associated with an established historical
organization, museum, military preservation organization, or other group with a mission to educate the public at various events
through the use of historical artifacts, clothing, vehicles, aircraft, maritime vessels, and firearms or replicas thereof.
(Sec. 13-19.4, R.O. 1978 (1983 Ed.); Am. Ord. 96-58, 03-23, 03-35)

Sec. 41-8.5 Seizure, forfeiture and disposal.

Any police officer who arrests any person for possessing, using, lending, renting, giving or transferring an air gun in
violation of any provisions of this article shall take custody of such air gun. Upon conviction of such person the air gun so seized shall
be forfeited to the city. Any air gun so forfeited shall remain in the custody of the police department for one year and thereafter
destroyed; provided, that such air gun shall be retained for subsequent proceedings, both civil or criminal, and until any such action is
concluded, if any person desiring the use of such forfeited air gun as evidence files with the chief of police a written notice of an
intention to so use the air gun before the destruction date herein provided. (Sec. 13-19.5, R.O. 1978 (1983 Ed.))

Sec. 41-8.6 Violation--Penalty.

Any person violating any provision of this article shall, upon conviction, be punished by a fine not exceeding $500.00 or
imprisonment for a period not exceeding one year, or both. (Sec. 13-19.6, R.O. 1978 (1983 Ed.))

They also have an airsoft law, which I am not certain they connect to pellet rifles that has some significant restrictions too....

USN retired
1981-2011

Offline LEN

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 10:46:31 AM »
Better be quiet about shooting chickens in the Islands, last I
 knew big time trouble with the law.

LEN

Offline jeepster

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 10:59:47 AM »
If your looking for a good deal that doesn't break the bank I purchased an air rifle off one of the travelling tool trucks that comes around once or twice a year to our area that has a real wood stock. 177 cal, one pump, and shoots 950 fps. and the kicker, I paid $20!!!!!! the gun is decent quality, my family has purchased several of these over the years and they work great

Are you talking about those under lever ones that come caked in cosmoline and kinda look like an sks? I used to have one, gave it away when I found out it had a nasty habit of the breach slamming shut while loading, and they are notorious for amputating fingers, if that is the gun I am thinking of...

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2010/08/industry-brand-b3-1-part-1/

With that being said, the one I had was pretty accurate, never chronoed or anything, but did a good job on cans
Forget the bear spray, use wasp killer. Concentrated delivery stream, 10X the product, and only $3.00 on sale.

I smoke two fish in the morning, I smoke two fish at night, I smoke two fish in de afternoon makes me feel alright

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 11:00:17 AM »
I'm guessing you're on Kauai?  The Gamo Whisper would be my choice.  Deadly accurate and quiet for a springer.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline jeepster

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 11:05:11 AM »
I'm guessing you're on Kauai?  The Gamo Whisper would be my choice.  Deadly accurate and quiet for a springer.

Nope, I'm just south of Kona on the Big Island, on 4 acres out in coffee country. Fed up with the damn roosters crowing at 4 am every morning, I have enough sleeping problems as is, I'm lucky to get 3 hours of solid sleep before they start up.... :bash:

Offline Franco S. Cruz

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2022, 03:04:08 PM »
Long range when I was a kid was about 30 yards for a medium powered air rifle and about 60 for high power.

https://accuratelyshooting.com/most-powerful-airsoft-gun-ultimate-guide/

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2022, 03:21:46 PM »
As stated...Gamco...love mine

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough