collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Which Gamecam for the X-mas list?  (Read 6527 times)

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Which Gamecam for the X-mas list?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 05:23:31 PM »
If you don't have your SD cards yet, they'll be dirt cheap over the next few days. Might be worth picking a couple up.

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 09:26:53 PM »
Here's a good deal from Wing Supply- a Moultrie M-880 for $90.99. That's after 30% off of a sale price of $129.99. Regular price is $149.99. The 30% off is only until 11/29. If I was looking for another camera I'd probably be ordering one of these.

http://www.wingsupply.com/game-cameras-accessories/moultrie-m-880-8mp-low-glow-infrared-mini-game-camera/

(you won't see the 30% reduction until you put it in your shopping cart)

Offline Band

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 10:41:19 PM »
If you don't have your SD cards yet, they'll be dirt cheap over the next few days. Might be worth picking a couple up.
I remember that last year during the shopping season.  Problem is that I don't have a clue what kind of a card to get.  Am I right in my assumption that I'll find a wall of such devices, some of which will only work in cameras and others in game cams, and I'll have to figure out a particular memory size or something that matches to the game cam I end up with...and I'll just stare blankly at them without knowing what to buy? :dunno:

If it helps, the leading contenders for my wish list so far are the Moultrie game spy M-80 infrared 5 MP and the Moultrie M-880 Low Glow Infrared Digital 8 MP.

Offline LeviD1

• Scout
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery, Spokane Rifle Club, RMEF
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2014, 11:42:59 PM »
For chip just get one at radio shack or other electronics store I use sandisk 16 gig hcsd. Dont listen to cabelas when they label them memory cards for game cams and they are like 1 gig for $20. The hc part just stands for high capacity. A 16 gig will get you about 10,000 photos on a 8 megapixel image and cost around $15. A 8 gig gets your about 6000 but only costs a few dollars less that's why I go 16 cause if you want to use video mode it takes more memory also. When you get your cam read how to format your chip this will alleviate any stress if for some reason your camera is taking pictures but not saving them when you go to check them. When you reformat a chip though it will delete anything saved on the chip permanently so save them on your computer first. Every time I swap my chips in my cams I reformat them, that way it deletes them back to 0 instantly and I know its formatted to that camera. If you ever use the memory card in different devices it can change the format. Hope this helps and makes sense.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2014, 12:01:12 AM »
Choosing an sd card is not complicated. I've never spent more than $5 for one (always get them on sale), I have more Sandisk than anything, but I'm not sure the brand matters. I only have 2 GB and 4 GB cards. You can spend more on bigger cards but I don't think it's necessary, especially in your case since you say you won't be using bait. Check Amazon and eBay for good prices on sd cards.

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2014, 12:10:14 AM »
I used 8 &16gb with bait. A few times I filled up the 8gb but never the 16.

One rule of thumb I will add is not to waste money on the high speed write cards. Those are meant for sports photographers shooting a 25+ megapixel camera and blasting out half a dozen shots per second or more. Or Hd videography. Those cards will work in your camera, but you'll be paying extra for a superfluous feature that you don't need. Stick with regular speeds and save a few bucks per card.

Offline Band

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2014, 12:06:55 PM »
OK, thanks again, guys.  I picked up 2 8GB SD cards this morning for $5 a piece.  Now I play the waiting game to see if anyone loves me enough to get me that game cam. 8)

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2014, 12:19:50 PM »
That's a great price for 8 GB cards. You shouldn't have to worry about running out of room. I only filled up a 2 GB card one time, and that's because I let it go 5 weeks before checking it. It had over 2,900 pictures.

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2014, 12:34:16 PM »
Size of card you'll need is really determined by how often you plan to check  your cams. I was 4-5 hours away from my trail cams this summer for my elk hunt. I didn't want to go up more than once a month given the gas, time, and effort so 8-16B was appropriate.

Offline nbk

• Tracker
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2014, 01:55:59 PM »
I have the Moultrie D-555I and it works well for me. Good picture quality so far and battery life is what I would call amazing....I have had it out for about 9-1/2 months and still has 89% battery life left as of yesterday.............

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal