collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Why Not?  (Read 2457 times)

Offline roy...s

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
Why Not?
« on: November 27, 2014, 03:07:44 PM »
Rolled out of bed this morning and got the brisket all rubbed down and in the smoker.  Sun was still coming up and I figured..why not go fishing?  Threw the yak in the truck and headed to Kitsap lake. 

Good way to spend a couple hours on Thanksgiving.

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Why Not?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 05:51:20 PM »
Looks like a nice haul! The boy and I were talking about maybe hitting Kitsap this weekend if we get some other stuff done. What is working if you do not mind sharing?

Offline roy...s

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 10:03:24 PM »
Birdguy...you have a pm.

Offline raydog

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 12:54:57 PM »
Just curious , Can you eat the fish out of Kitsap. I though I read in the regs that you weren't supposed to?? Nice Fish btw

Offline roy...s

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 04:05:10 PM »
Just curious , Can you eat the fish out of Kitsap. I though I read in the regs that you weren't supposed to?? Nice Fish btw

Thanks...it was a good couple hours of fishing.  That top one is just over 17 inches. 

My family and many others I know eat them all the time, with no ill effects.  I don't know of anywhere in the regs it warns you not too.  I would be hard pressed to believe the state would stock a lake and then warn against eating them.   :dunno: Wouldn't make much since. 

I've talked to some that thought the fish they caught were mushy and tasted like mud.  That's why I only fish them during the off season.. I've found the meat firmer and their better tasting with the colder water temps and after they've had time to swim in something more then a fish tank.  I occasionally do get one that is soft and I'll just put them in the freezer until I get enough and to justify smoking them up.  I do them just like salmon.   

The best way I've found to cook them.....
Gut, de-head, and scale just after catching them, the sooner the better.  Then when you get home place sweet lemon,butter, salt, pepper, and garlic in the cavity.  Put in the Treager smoker at 350deg for 15 minutes, so that the cavity is face up to hold in all the juices. Slap on a plate... :drool: 

When you can pull the fins and they slide out with just a little pressure, you know their done.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal