collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Thanksgiving day Pheasants, not!  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Lady In The Creek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Thanksgiving day Pheasants, not!
« on: November 27, 2014, 09:39:03 PM »
So, my ten month old pup and I got in line with all the other hunters and their dogs inside the hunting area, along the cemetary side fence.  As we waited, my dog and I heard a rooster pheasant calling and saw him running East of us, and a ways in front of other hunters.  At 8:00 everyone started walking North, but my dog ran toward that rooster in front of other hunters.  I quickly walked toward, called her and then beeped her with my Garmen Alpha dog tracker.  She responded slowly while other hunters shot the rooster.  She went back South to say Hi to other hunters and dogs, so I beeped her again to come, which she did.  I led her over to the area we should have been in, released her and she headed to where the rooster had been.  I reached for my Garmen to beep her again.  It was GONE! from my large vest pocket.
So we spent the next 2 1/2 hours looking for the hand held unit.  Some kind men also helped me search but we didn't find it.  I'll look again tomorrow.
Diane

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Re: Thanksgiving day Pheasants, not!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 11:22:35 PM »
Good luck finding it.  Sounds like you were at Scatter Creek? 

I used to live across from The Speedway Grocery but only hunted Scatter a couple of times with my Golden at the time.  Once we jumped a rooster and I could not shoot as a guy was in my line of fire 100 or so yards away, he dropped the bird.  Then, to my surprise, he came over and gave it to me thanking me for not shooting at him.  Another time, I got back to my truck and there was a rooster in the back of it, good thing I didn't already have a limit and have a warden waiting there for me.   :o

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 11:33:21 PM »
I've lost a handheld communicator twice,was lucky enough to find it once and not so lucky the other.I actually had the dog slip an old fashioned telemetry collar once and since I had the reciever was able to find the collar.Good luck in your search!

Offline Sportfury

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 12:19:03 AM »
I lost my controller to my Dogtra T&B while blue grouse hunting. I had it clipped to my pocket and was not using the lanyard. I walked the route that I had taken looking on the ground and finding nothing. I went home that day thinking I was going to end up spending another $300. Since I couldn't digest that I went back the next day and continued looking doing the same search. After not finding it again I thought about what i was doing: pushing through brush. It was then I started looking in the brush and trees. I found it clipped to a tree branch. I has walked past it at least three times. Start checking the brush at waist height. If you do find put a lanyard on it. Tie the lanyard to the controller and looped the lanyard to you: a belt loop, your hunting vest, your hunting backpack,  etc. Good luck in finding it.

Offline Blackjaw

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 08:45:37 AM »
After I lost mine once, I bought a holster for the replacement. With the holster i bought, there is no way to loose it unless you take it off somewhere.

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 09:25:51 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I planned to use a lanyard and sew a holster for it, if I get it back, one way or another.  My husband thinks someone picked it up right after It fell out of my pocket.  I've put out "Lost, Reward" signs around the hunting area.  We'll be back to look for it again, anyway.
Diane

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 11:26:33 PM »
I found it!!!  I took my dog out there again and widened the search area a little.  She and I spotted it at the same time.  I'd been telling her to: "Find my toy."  I think we'll be working on that command for a while.  We took the battery out and let it warm up for a few hours, before giving it a full charge.  It works fine, now always with a lanyard.  Look for your lost item one more time.
Diane

Offline Sportfury

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 07:22:48 PM »
Awesome Diane! Glad you found it.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal