collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: is it "shootable"?  (Read 4849 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
is it "shootable"?
« on: September 10, 2007, 03:50:07 PM »
in my safe i have an old ithaca side by side 12 gauge shogun that i'd really like to shoot, maybe some grouse or just some clay targets for that matter. it is very old..i got it from my grandfather who owned it for a very long time...it's not damascus, but on the barrel is inscribed "smokeless powder only"
anybody want to say assuming the gun is in good working order wether it is safe to shoot modern ammo out of it? i have no immediate plans to shoot it and trust me i know there are lots of other variables to wether or not it is safe to shoot, i was just wondering about the ammo aspect of it more or less.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: is it "shootable"?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 04:04:09 PM »
Since all modern shotgun shells use smokeless powder, you should be ok to shoot it. You may want to have a gunsmith check the length of the chamber though, to be sure it is long enough to handle modern 2 3/4 inch shells. The older shotguns had a shorter chamber because the shells back then didn't have the same type of crimp. A modern 2 3/4 inch shell may fit in the chamber just fine, but when fired won't have room to open up and let the shot out, therefore causing excessive pressure.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 04:11:45 PM »
thanks Bob...kind of what i thought.
the gun will definitely be gone over before it gets shot.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 11:00:13 AM »
This is just me, If I received a side by side as old as you think, that still uses the term "smokeless powder", I would take it to someone who could appraise it. You might have something worth holding on to there.
Just an idea
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 11:30:27 AM »
oh it's not going anywhre regardless of what it's worth...it's one of the treasures i got from my grandfather when he passed away.

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2023, 12:05:15 AM »
[quote author=jackelope  i have an old Ithaca side by side 12 gauge shogun that I'd really like to shoot, maybe some grouse or just some clay targets for that matter. it is very old..i got it from my grandfather who owned it for a very long time...it's not Damascus, but on the barrel is inscribed "smokeless powder only"
anybody want to say assuming the gun is in good working order whether it is safe to shoot modern ammo out of it?
[/quote]

jackelope, Did you ever get around to shooting your Grandfathers Old Side by Side?
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2023, 07:41:04 AM »

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2023, 07:47:29 AM »
in my safe i have an old ithaca side by side 12 gauge shogun that i'd really like to shoot, maybe some grouse or just some clay targets for that matter. it is very old..i got it from my grandfather who owned it for a very long time...it's not damascus, but on the barrel is inscribed "smokeless powder only"
anybody want to say assuming the gun is in good working order wether it is safe to shoot modern ammo out of it? i have no immediate plans to shoot it and trust me i know there are lots of other variables to wether or not it is safe to shoot, i was just wondering about the ammo aspect of it more or less.

Yes, you can shoot it.  Heavy Shot make some good "Classic Doubles" rounds for these guns.  I have a bunch of friends that still bring them out to the field for hunting.  Being smokeless, post black powder.  I still run lead through mine or as mentioned Classic Doubles where non-toxic shot is required.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2023, 07:56:10 AM »
The first thing I would check is the lock up.
Most likely with different size shells.
Maybe get into shotgun reloading. :dunno:
Or maybe figure out the length of shell it takes.
Then look at muzzle velocity of black powder loads at same length.
Try to find some smokeless rounds that run about the same.
I would use lead shot,non of that steel stuff.
Lead is more forgiving with high pressure.

Or find a lead sled and strap her in.
Or just fire that sucker after checking function.

I'm no expert,just suggestion that I can think of.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2023, 07:58:51 AM »
Epic 16 year thread resurrection.

I've not shot it. Maybe one of these days.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2023, 08:33:18 AM »
Epic 16 year thread resurrection.

I've not shot it. Maybe one of these days.
I didn't realize that... :chuckle: :chuckle:

This is what the master does.
Of course you would need 12 gauge.

I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2023, 08:54:20 AM »
You can check the date of manufacture here, https://ithacagun.com/serial-numbers/
Old SxS can be fun, I've picked up 3 this year, 10ga two Parkers vintage 1909 and 1923 they all shoot well.
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2023, 09:59:05 AM »
I have a 1919 LeFever blank that was assembled and sold when Ithica purchased it. It's a 12 gauge and I only shoot low base lead or lower velocity biz out of it. Very doable and I've killed pheasant and geese with it .
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline scotsman

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2023, 10:28:12 AM »
Jackelope, I have just what you need…. Not too long ago a friend was cleaning out his dad’s garage and came across a genuine WWII ammo box. Inside said box is a nice selection of 12Ga Old school crimped paper and plastic shells. Several shot sizes all 2 1/2”.  They have been inside the sealed ammo  box, most likely since new so should shoot fine. If you want them I’ll give to you as thanks for your moderating duties. Located in Gig Harbor.

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2023, 02:56:03 PM »
hunter399, Thanks for sharing that video. Makes me want to find an Old Double Barrel and start reloading again.  :)

scotsman, What a rare gift!  :tup:
Now jackelope will have to give those Original Loads a shot (if Grandpa's gun is up to it.) :tup:

"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal