collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: got a new disc extreme!  (Read 4711 times)

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
got a new disc extreme!
« on: December 04, 2014, 08:18:57 AM »
Got a new disc extreme yesterday! Now i need to start gathering all the accessories. One question. I am going to be hunting wa and idaho. Would it be smart to sticl with idaho legal all the time or to switch back and forth as hunt calls for it?
Idaho is bore diameter lead and loose pack powder.

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
Re: got a new disc extreme!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 08:28:26 AM »
Washingtion and Idaho are both .50, so as long as you bought .50 you will be fine.

triple seven loose performs better and burns cleaner than pellets anyway, so stick to loose pack powder in ffg or fffg.  i find triple seven by Hodgdon burns the cleanest.

as far as switching back and forth between Lead and sabots.....I would find the lead combination that shoots best first, as muzzleloaders can be finicky and it isn't like going to the range and racking brass through the bolt cycle.  It takes more time to find the best load.  If you have time I usually like to mount a scope to determine what shoots best.  This takes a lot of the user error out of the equation with regard to open sites.  Then start playing with the Sabot variety for Washington.  The knew copper Barnes varieties and Knight Bloodlines to provide a lot of advantages over the lead both in flight and internal damage.

Williams FP rear peep and Willaims front ramp with fire sight and site hood after you switch to open sights

You can talk to SabotLoader on this as he is one of the more knowledgeable about both Washington and Idaho regulations to include Knight products. 

I would be happy to help show you some pointers to keep you from buying too much crap you don't want or won't use as I have learned it all the hard way.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 08:35:07 AM »
Thanks whacker! I was planning on trying triple7 loose. I know nothing regarding to ffg or fffg but will learn i guess.
The williams sights are on my list as well. I have a bit of experience muzzleloading but just borrowing a gun and shooting whatever the owner told me.  :chuckle: was going to try no excuses for lead bullets. And barnes or sst for wa.

Offline whacker1

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 08:40:05 AM »
Thanks whacker! I was planning on trying triple7 loose. I know nothing regarding to ffg or fffg but will learn i guess.
The williams sights are on my list as well. I have a bit of experience muzzleloading but just borrowing a gun and shooting whatever the owner told me.  :chuckle: was going to try no excuses for lead bullets. And barnes or sst for wa.

ffg burns a little slower and fffg burns a little faster/hotter.

I shoot fffg in my .54 to try to remove any chance of a hangfire.  However with that said they both shoot great.  I shoot a little less powder in the fffg.

You might find your gun likes one over the other.

knight doesn't make the bloodline in the .54 otherwise I would probably go to that as it seems the most lethal, but i have no shot a buck and bull with the Barnes Expander MZ with great results.

Connect with me this winter and I will show you what I have and what i prefer and where to get them.  Some stuff can be bought locally and much of the rest needs to be ordered. 

I haven't shot lead for a while, but I know what shot well for me before.  I bet it will come down to what shoots and what fits down the barrel.  Some of these barrels can be tight to get the lead bullets down. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 09:15:49 AM »
Are sabots legal in Idaho? I didn't think so.
I could be wrong, I haven't paid much attention. I will also have a Disc Extreme here one of these days whenever I find the time to get down south so I'm tagging this thread.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline whacker1

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 09:27:37 AM »
sabots are not legal in Idaho, which is why he needs to figure out 2 loads.  1 lead load and 1 sabot load.   He and I were both thinking lead load would be highest priority as it would cross over to both states and possibly other states he might travel.

Offline whacker1

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 09:28:51 AM »
Chris send me your email address and I will send you some other options for lead bullets which you may want to explore.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 11:23:36 AM »
Picked up a few items yesterday.
Pound of ffg triple 7
musket caps
Musket capper
small powder flask
powder measure
some cpeaning supplies

Getting excited to shoot! Probly wait till after christmas tho.
Still need antiseize grease and plumbers tape as well as a new peep sight (hoping santa brings it) and some bullets.

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 06:07:35 PM »
IMO I would go with #11 nipple and caps. They fit quite a bit tighter on the nipple allowing less moisture in. Plus they don't fall off like musket caps are prone to do. I use the cci #11 magnum caps. They work great or the dinamit noble are even better. :twocents:. You will love your disc. I have had mine for 4 years and it kills every thing I point it at.
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline Smokepole

• Kevin Miller
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 07:01:23 PM »
I shoot Lee REAl cast boolits in my gun.  They perform pretty good with 1:28 twist.  If you want to try a few, let me know.  They are easy to make on the coleman stove.   :twocents:

Online Damnimissed

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 07:30:54 PM »
IMO I would go with #11 nipple and caps. They fit quite a bit tighter on the nipple allowing less moisture in. Plus they don't fall off like musket caps are prone to do. I use the cci #11 magnum caps. They work great or the dinamit noble are even better. :twocents:. You will love your disc. I have had mine for 4 years and it kills every thing I point it at.
:yeah:

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 05:30:19 AM »
Not me...I have yet to have a musket cap misfire over the years..versus the short time I hunted with #11's and had hangfires and misfires

Online Damnimissed

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 06:42:45 AM »
Not me...I have yet to have a musket cap misfire over the years..versus the short time I hunted with #11's and had hangfires and misfires
In what rifle? With what powder? What brand of cap?

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 06:47:32 AM »
blackdiamond...use to use #11 cci's

Online Damnimissed

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 08:27:42 AM »
Not sure if your breech plug design is better for musket caps or if you're using pellets but using T7 3f with RWS 1075s in my knight, I have never even had a hang fire and I hunt western wa in the rain and wet brush. 11's give a better seal than musket caps...and OP, congrats on the new musket
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 12:41:17 PM by Damnimissed »

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal