collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: AR Barrel Choices...  (Read 7469 times)

Offline Hornseeker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
    • Sapphire Traditional Archery
AR Barrel Choices...
« on: December 05, 2014, 09:01:20 AM »
Too Many...

For shooting long range, say 300-600 yards... would going with a heavy 24" barrel like I've shot on the Stag Model 6 be a big benefit over an 18" barrel? I can pick up that 24" barrel from Stag for $200... and I've seen it "drive tacks"... they are made by ER Shaw...

And what about Blackholes polygonal rifling? Only benefit is easier cleaning?? Are they just as accurrate?

For an economy build... what is a great low cost 16" barrel?

Would love to see a good barrel discussion evolve on this thread...

Thank You
Chuck Norris puts the "Laughter" in "Manslaughter"

Offline kisfish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: nra
Re: AR Barrel Choices...
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 09:06:11 AM »
tag

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 09:21:02 AM »
You should also be concerned with the twist rate. Figure out which bullet you are going to use and get the appropriate barrel. :twocents:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Hornseeker

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 10:10:35 AM »
For the economy barrels i want to load something in the 55 grain range. For the long range murderer... Im thinking 68-77s...

1:9 for the little ones? 1:8 for the bigguns?

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 10:42:34 AM »
I think we are all assuming you want to stay 556 or are you up for other calibers?

6.5grendel is a pretty sweet round, big game legal in WA, Great ballistics and trajectories similar to 308, low recoil, runs in std ar15 upper/lowers, only change is bolt only (not bcg), Mag and Barrel.  I built one with a $299 Brownells 18" bolt&barrel combo, shot sub MOA on factory ammo...

Offline Hornseeker

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 11:24:46 AM »
Dang... that inexpensive... alls I need is the bolt, barrel and a new mag...

Done.

HOWEVER... yes... I am talking 556 on my main question here!

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 11:28:28 AM »
A 1-8 will shoot your 55's and 77's great. Blackhole Weaponry makes a excellent barrel. I just had a BHW 1-8 M4 contour delivered today.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 11:32:25 AM »
I think we are all assuming you want to stay 556 or are you up for other calibers?

6.5grendel is a pretty sweet round, big game legal in WA, Great ballistics and trajectories similar to 308, low recoil, runs in std ar15 upper/lowers, only change is bolt only (not bcg), Mag and Barrel.  I built one with a $299 Brownells 18" bolt&barrel combo, shot sub MOA on factory ammo...

A box of Hornady 6.5 Grendel 123gr A-Max or the 123gr SST costs less than a box of Federal 5.56/.223 Gold Medal Match and the BHW 8 twist barrels shoot the stuff great.

Offline Hornseeker

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 11:35:35 AM »
BHW does the 6.5 too? Will look.

Thanks for the info BH and Lam.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 11:45:24 AM »
I figured you probably were, but since I didn't see it mentioned figured I would throw the pitch and see if get another member to join the Horde.  Well done BH, we just might get him to come to the dark side.....
This is a group I shot the 1st day I had my grendel built.  Shots 1-4 were @ 25yrds to get on paper, the shots shown are 5-6-7 shot @ 100yrds.  Using the Amax 123Gn Tounds BH mentioned.  The image is 1/4 of a sheet of Std 8.5x11 paper which had other hits as I zero'd the scope in.  Those 3 shots were to establish group before zeroing new scope. 

As for 556..
I know some people swear by RedX barrels, might be worth a look?
I have not priced a barrel locally in a while, but used to always be cheap $99 barrels around in 16"

I would think 18-20" be a great balance for that longer range stuff.  I had a 24" and it added velocity for sure.  As mentioned, matching twist to the bullets you plan to shoot will be most important then barrel length.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 11:59:33 AM »
BHW does the 6.5 too? Will look.

Thanks for the info BH and Lam.

Yes. They label it the .264 LBC, it runs all Grendel ammo and for all purposes but in name. It is a 6.5 Grendel, the throat angle is better than the "Original" Grendel throat. I have a few laying around and they all shoot. :tup:

Some .264 LBC/ Grendel barrels.

Offline Swag

• Scout
  • Team Dog Pile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 01:06:06 PM »
I am in no way a Sub MOA shooter,  :dunno:but I hunt and use all of my AR's for hunting Big game and allot of small game and Varmints.  I have put ER Shaw a 24'' bull barrel chambered in 204 side by side against BHW 24'' 204 pencil Barrel, and I can tell you it is not as simple as easier to clean.  The polygonal rifling creates a significant reduction in drag and increase in velocity, in a 204 increased velocity = accuracy and speed.  I also have a 6.8 Bison and BHW barrels that have polygonal rifling and when compared to traditional rifling in is very impressive the difference in repeatable accuracy.  For a guy who is content with being able to hit a coyote at 1 to 400 yards, polygonal rifling works very well for me....

Offline mountainman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 05:05:20 PM »
Carl builds some awesome barrels!
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 05:11:57 PM »

Do you know if any body is making a left handed bolt carrier for the 6.5 grendal

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 07:10:04 PM »

Do you know if any body is making a left handed bolt carrier for the 6.5 grendal

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

You could purchase a Stag Arms left hand upper receiver and bolt carrier. Look around and find a left hand 7.6x39 bolt, make sure it has the .124 or so bolt face depth which would be the same as the "Type I" .264 LBC bolts that BlackHole Weoponry uses, all my .264 LBC/ Grendel barrels are "Type I".

The bolt carrier for a 5.56/.223 is the same bolt carrier used for the .264 LBC/6.5 Grendel. The only difference being the bolt installed into the bolt carrier is different.

Order a .264 LBC type I barrel through Blackhole and put it together.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal