collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Why private land owners don't allow hunting  (Read 13454 times)

Offline Tealer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Why private land owners don't allow hunting
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2014, 03:52:26 AM »

Thanks bulldogs40 for picking that crap up and for posting!

Along with the biodegradable wad suggestion I'd LOVE to see a 15 shotshell per day limit in this state....statewide. This morning there were 3 guy's "shooting" on the property next to me and I'd bet a testicle that they shot 100 times by the time I was done for the day at 10:00am. The wife went to our property around 2:00pm to mess around with the horses and said that they were still there! I watched them from the barn, thru binocs, for a half hour and saw them drop one wigeon with one,single shot but they shot 12 more times during my 30 minute observation. If a guy can't shoot 7 ducks in 15 shots he's doing it wrong! My worse day shooting so far this year is 7 in 14 and I kinda felt like an amateur.

She'll limits don't help, nearly impossible to police. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Blacktail135

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2014, 06:21:16 PM »
 Do you have real data to backup your claim?

You may be right but, shouldn't we try to reel in the freaking skybusters/shooters?

Offline Tealer

• Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 06:39:01 PM »

Do you have real data to backup your claim?

You may be right but, shouldn't we try to reel in the freaking skybusters/shooters?

So this is what I see. Guys hide shells, wardens who are already spread thin don't check. The guys that do follow the rules don't shoot cripples so as not to waste another shell. It's a stupid cycle. Education is the only way.

Offline Tealer

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2014, 06:40:09 PM »
I also feel like shell restrictions hurt new hunters, nothing like punishing a guy who is learning and can't shoot.

Online bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2014, 07:55:45 PM »
There's a lot of areas (especially national wildlife refuges) in the US that do have shell limits (typically 25.) It's not that hard to enforce, let me see your license, lets check to see if there's a plug in your gun, ok where's your shells.

Realistically everyone who doesn't come back to the boat launch/truck with your empty shells can be cited for littering. I know some officers who expect to see the same amount of empty shells as how many ducks/geese are in the boat. Now I think common sense says that if you have 7 ducks and 6 empty shells then you were trying to do a good job of not littering, but come back with no empties...well that's a different story.

Offline Blacktail135

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2014, 08:26:46 PM »
 BINGO! You are exactly right.....education is the key. How many kid's out hunting today are REALLY taught how to hunt duck's by their dad's? My guess is fewer and fewer than in year's past. How many are driven by peer pressure/social media status? My guess is more and more as we scoot on down the road of life.
 New hunter's should be taught how to SHOOT during the summer on clay's and then be coached how to HUNT when season start's.
 Five year's ago I bought my duck hunting property after 25+ year's of searching/waiting for such property to come up for sell. It used to hold hundred's and sometimes thousand's of duck's since I moved here in '79....not anymore.  I have observed a tremendous amount of sloppy,unethical and illegal act's by so-called duck hunter's who hunt my neighbor's property that was purchased by him 4 year's ago. 15 TRESPASSING offences last year (2 so far this year), shooting way too many pintails for the day, shooting ducks OVER my other anti-hunters property along the fence with 0% chance of recovery, shooting 40 minutes after legal shooting light, etc. He (former mentioned neighbor) let's anybody hunt. That news spread through the local high school like a hot rumor. Likely through a social media outlet I suppose. 15-25 trucks (mostly Toyotas) prowl up and down our dead-end road looking for an opening ALL THE TIME. My daughter (otherside neighbor) now keeps her Rouen mallards penned up during season as she has had guys park in front of her house eyeing her pets.Somebody is there hunting daylight to dark on most day's. Only ONCE in that 4 year's have I seen a dog accompany ANY of them (thus increasing the chance of recovering a cripple). Most of them are skybusters. When it flood's and with our normal prevailing South wind is when it's time for me to go out and pickup HUNDREDS of shotwads, observe numerous duck carcasses, pickup the usual Gatorade/energy drink bottles and other trash and occasionally get a decoy. Today I saw a regular (hunter) load up my neighbors boat and take off with it. I know for a fact my neighbor doesn't know him. Maybe he just borrowed it for a bit? Anyway, most young hunters I have observed in the last few years seem to be driven by some sort of DUCK HUNTING/PEER PRESSURE STATUS and I blame social media and social breakdown for it.   

« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 09:04:11 PM by Blacktail135 »

Offline splitshot

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2014, 10:32:52 PM »

been there and done that.  we have to keep cleaning up after the turds of the world.  and it will not get better cuz there are some dumb ones out there.     mike w

Online bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2014, 10:36:27 PM »
According to stevemiller hunters rarely litter. Yet how many duck blinds have you been in with empty shells and boxes?/  :bash:

Offline longrangehunter338

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA,3GUN,RMEF
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2014, 01:08:33 PM »
This is exactly why tree farms now charge fees

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2014, 01:30:12 PM »
I also feel like shell restrictions hurt new hunters, nothing like punishing a guy who is learning and can't shoot.

Clean back in the early 70s......we practiced on clay targets, not ducks, and we practiced on paper targets, not deer..............shell restrictions mean a conscientious shooter/hunter will pass low percentage shots in hopes of better percentage shots per their ability.

Offline npaull

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2014, 01:57:43 PM »
Slob hunters = some of the worst people on Earth.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2014, 10:37:51 PM »
According to stevemiller hunters rarely litter. Yet how many duck blinds have you been in with empty shells and boxes?/  :bash:

Still don't need a new special law for hunters and fishermen.   ;)

Better take me in, I left about fifteen lead-head jigs on the bottom of the sound last spring, oh yeah, I lost three shells out of my boat Saturday and they sank before I could grab them.

On the private fields we hunt I try and grab all the wads.

Would be nice to see more biodegradable wads. I'm seeing more biodegradable plant based plastic cutlery and plates at yuppie stores like Whole Foods,PCC, etc. it would be cool to see that technology at least make it to the wad portion of factory shotshells.

Here is one site that advertises this.  I am not sure how available they are though.

http://www.ecowad.com/Home.html
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 06:33:53 PM by lokidog »

Offline irishevox

• Sourdough
  • Groups: n/a
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2014, 07:02:45 AM »
yeah man... I saw the same *censored*!  it was good hunting with you this weekend... I am glad we picked up a lot of their trash... at least someone attempted to build up the blind
Member:  YKWTSASFFRO (The young Buck)

Offline JJD

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, DU
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2014, 09:00:02 AM »
Lack of respect is the reason I let few hunt my property.  It's posted Hunting By Written Permission Only.
They are to let me know when they will be there and they must have the permission note on them. 
It is so sad that a few ruin it for everyone else.   
I waterfowl on one public spot 2 or 3 times a year.  My partner and I take in a garbage bag and it leaves with us full of trash each time.  Good thing I have a dumpster at my place to handle the extra.
Only way you can tell we have hunted a place is that some of the vegitation is a bit flatter.
Spent most of my $$ on huntin, fishin & retrievin dogs, the rest I just pretty much wasted.

Offline longrangehunter338

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA,3GUN,RMEF
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2014, 11:31:46 AM »
I could totally reload those shells as well.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal