collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Master Hunter cow elk GMU 127  (Read 9900 times)

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
Re: Master Hunter cow elk GMU 127
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2014, 01:02:29 PM »
I think I'm a pretty reasonable person. I said it earlier. Convince me of the value of having a select group having access to seasons the general population does not. Lots of complaints about losing acces to timber land, seasons cut for one group to give to another. Why is this any different other than you chose to participate and feel you're entitled.

That is a separate discussion, but here goes:

*  I have no problem with WDFW wanting to utilize a tool like the MH group.
*  It's a legitimate way to organize volunteers.
*  It's a legitimate tool for WDFW to use in damage control situations.
*  Qualifying for the MH program includes marksmanship, volunteer work, and a knowledge test.  Seems like as good a criteria as any.
*  I can see the need for a method to qualify people for removing animals in restricted circumstances.
*  I don't think for a moment that it's foolproof, or is necessarily the best way to qualify people, but.....   I don't really know of a better way.
*  The MH requirements are STRINGENTLY enforced.    Screw up (any game offense) and you are out.   Period.  So, MH participants are helt to a higher standard, which is good IMO.
*  IF you have a better suggestion, you can certainly submit it to WDFW for consideration.

I am curious:   Do you just think that WDFW should not be allowed to use specific tools like the MH program, or?

Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline subagang707

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • "Hunting is Life"
  • Groups: WSAA, NFAA, NRA, US NAVY 1992-Present
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2014, 01:49:43 PM »
Was wondering if JKEEN feels the same way about Youth or Disabled hunts?
"Hunting is Life"

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 02:26:56 PM »
All valid points and I think the program is a great idea. I do not like the special hunts. How is this a damage hunt? If there is a problem in the area wouldn't extending the general season accomplish the same task. I agree with sending a guy out to a farm having issues. Agree with these guys being certified. Agree with sending someone in who knows the area to take care of proble animals. I do not agree with an open draw and a 3 week season. If there are no animals in the area creating a problem how is it a damage hunt? Sounds more like a special season to me.

I don't know the the specifics of that damage hunt - so I can't speak to that.

I am very familiar with some of the other hunts.    As far as I know, they only happen where there is an issue - typically a later season migratory issue, but also sometimes crop predation earlier in the year.   In cases like that , it makes sense to have a smaller group to draw from.   Then the only question is:   How do you select the smaller group?    Their MH program is as good any any way to do this, IMO.    I'm sure there are others ways people could come up with, but this one just doesn't bother me.
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2014, 03:05:22 PM »
 :tup:
I love the BFRO!!!

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2014, 03:48:04 PM »
If you read my quote from f&w these are sopposedly damage hunts. If there is a general season in that area there should be no need for a damage hunt. If there are to many animals the state can adjust the regular season. How many days did the general muzzy season in the area run? I'm willing to bet not 22 days. That's like saying we need wolves to control the population. Resources are limited. We don't need a special group to manage it unless it is in an area with potential hazards. In that case I would think they would call you and say we have a field full of elk. Please take one and move the rest of the herd out.

Merry Christmas to you too!

:yeah: I live in 127.. And this MH hunt rubs a lot of people the wrong way! Complete BS! If there is a problem how about extending the crappy archery season or the 7 !! day muzzy hunt!

Offline subagang707

• Tracker
  • "Hunting is Life"
  • Groups: WSAA, NFAA, NRA, US NAVY 1992-Present
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2014, 12:47:55 PM »
Was wondering if JKEEN feels the same way about Youth or Disabled hunts?

Not at all support them completely. Would love to see more youth hunts. I would have issues if all kids that joined a special club get additional seasons excluding all other kids under the guise of doing a public service.
I thought that would be the answer..  My thoughts exactly!
"Hunting is Life"

Offline TopLevelPredator

• Pilgrim
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2014, 10:20:50 AM »
Anyone have any elk sightings in this area? Primarily the DNR and Inland Empire Paper Co. ground off the Belmont Rd? I do not know much about the area, but do have the onXmap to keep me lined out. This area of ground seems like it would be a better fit for the elk as opposed to the Radar Site Rd. off Star Rd. Any knowledge of land owners in this area which are usually willing to at least talk to guy about taking a cow would be beneficial as well. Season runs from Dec. 9-31. Thanks..........

PM sent.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 06:48:34 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter