collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Examples of 150" or better mule deer  (Read 77137 times)

Online bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Examples of 150" or better mule deer
« Reply #120 on: December 17, 2014, 07:54:23 PM »
Would love that one. :tup:

Whats sad bone, is my dad tells stories of alot bigger bucks that my great grandparents killed in the 20,s and 30,s and they would give all there horns away to neighborhood kids, some  were given to friends who cut them up to make things out of,knife handles,utensil handles,gear shift knobs,hat and coat racks, etc etc  :yike:. none of there racks  are around  today,only a few faded pictures,very sad.

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #121 on: December 17, 2014, 08:04:46 PM »
Would love that one. :tup:

Whats sad bone, is my dad tells stories of alot bigger bucks that my great grandparents killed in the 20,s and 30,s and they would give all there horns away to neighborhood kids, some  were given to friends who cut them up to make things out of,knife handles,utensil handles,gear shift knobs,hat and coat racks, etc etc  :yike:. none of there racks  are around  today,only a few faded pictures,very sad.

I talked to an old timer that moved into a house with a big fence made of elk horns....he burned it...

My grampa was a butcher an said his trash used to be full of horns...

Interesting how things have changed, definitely alot of history lost ??? But I guess it wasn't history back then

Offline Trailtamer

• Tracker
« Reply #122 on: December 17, 2014, 10:45:46 PM »
It's amazing how big an actual 150" buck is. This one nets just over 160

Offline Maverick

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2014, 10:30:36 AM »
Bigshooter,
You are correct, way more rare for the Whitetail cross vs Blacktail but trust me they do and I have seen a bunch of them.

RileyB,

Nice buck

Got any pics of a whitetail/mule deer cross?

Online bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #124 on: December 19, 2014, 02:37:37 PM »
That's a "real dandy", my guess is 170 range, but that is just a guess. lots of mass and great character on that one.

Thanks Rainier10, and yes that is one of the "I got a dandy" bucks :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #125 on: December 19, 2014, 03:50:31 PM »
That's a "real dandy", my guess is 170 range, but that is just a guess. lots of mass and great character on that one.

Thanks Rainier10, and yes that is one of the "I got a dandy" bucks :chuckle: :chuckle:
If you would have said that "you got a buck" or that was just a "big fella" I would have fallen out of my chair.

Dandy buck for sure.  Thanks for sharing.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #126 on: December 19, 2014, 05:35:16 PM »
Here are a couple of bucks from this year.  Haven't had a pro score them but a quick tape in camp has my buddies deer on the right going around 156 and mine on the left maybe making 130.  The deep forks and the mass on his really make a difference.  The crab claws and missing fork on the right side kill mine.

We couldn't pass either one up with a bow and they are each cool in their own way.

Score is just a measuring stick, both of these score well in the cool category for me, his scores better by the tape also.  :chuckle:  The hunt itself, the pack out and the memories of these two are what really scores high for me.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Online bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #127 on: December 19, 2014, 06:24:40 PM »
Here are a couple of bucks from this year.  Haven't had a pro score them but a quick tape in camp has my buddies deer on the right going around 156 and mine on the left maybe making 130.  The deep forks and the mass on his really make a difference.  The crab claws and missing fork on the right side kill mine.

We couldn't pass either one up with a bow and they are each cool in their own way.

Score is just a measuring stick, both of these score well in the cool category for me, his scores better by the tape also.  :chuckle:  The hunt itself, the pack out and the memories of these two are what really scores high for me.

A couple "real dandy,s"... :tup:

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #128 on: December 19, 2014, 06:32:27 PM »

:yeah: and your friends with casper?!?! :chuckle:
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Online bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #129 on: December 19, 2014, 06:35:15 PM »

:chuckle: :chuckle:..There may be only a few that know what the heck were getting a chuckle out of. No disrespect at all, Casper is a legend!

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #130 on: December 19, 2014, 07:27:53 PM »

yep, that's how we get close. :tup:

Offline webster1

• Tracker
« Reply #131 on: December 19, 2014, 09:01:29 PM »
Opening day of bow

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #132 on: December 19, 2014, 09:37:40 PM »
Opening day of bow

Here you go webster1, save it and modify your post with this one rotated. Nice buck, congrats.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline gil

• Pilgrim
« Reply #133 on: December 28, 2014, 08:39:38 PM »
2013 buck that in the 140-150 range.

Offline Cowpower

• Pilgrim
« Reply #134 on: December 29, 2014, 12:24:10 PM »
My 12 yr old boy from this year.  He was super excited, but not as much as I was when we walked up to it.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]