collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: In Need of Field Testers for Hunter Orange Vest  (Read 18127 times)

Offline whuppinstick

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
In Need of Field Testers for Hunter Orange Vest
« on: December 07, 2014, 05:27:57 PM »
EDIT: I have enough field testers!  Thank you to everybody for volunteering and offering support (and to the people who offered to buy them already!).  I will keep everybody in loop when I need larger testers and, eventually, when I sell them!

-----------------------

I realize I should have been making this post two months ago, but I didn't get my samples until just this week.  I've made a simple mesh hunter orange vest that I hope to be selling for next year's hunting season, but I'd like to get a few outside opinions on it before going into production.  Is anybody still going on a hunt this year who would like a free vest for testing?  I will send it to you and let you keep it, but I would just ask that you answer a few questions afterwards as to your experience with the vest.  The vest size is approximately a men's large.  I will have some larger sizes ready early next year.

Send me a pm with your address and what hunt you'll be wearing it on and I'll get one out to you asap.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 09:08:17 PM by whuppinstick »

Online Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
Re: In Need of Field Testers for Hunter Orange Vest
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 05:32:09 PM »
I'm not hunting anymore, but will try one out for you wearing it around the yard pretend hunting geared up to hunt.

Seems like I have to buy new ones every few years due to poor quality stuff out there.

Pm sent
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline brush hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 05:40:51 PM »
Going rabbit hunting and snowshoeing but would need man size XXXL  any pics?
That's my one shot.

Offline Stickerbush

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 05:48:22 PM »
Upland bird hunting, I'd test one for you
Coastal Perspective.

Offline whuppinstick

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 06:04:47 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for the replies.  I will try to get vests out to everybody who has pm'ed me so far.

I will further clarify some questions:

The intention of the vest is to be worn over the nice new hunting clothing that are out there.  Most orange hunting vests I see are fairly robust which, to me, defeats the purpose of all the money you're spending on high-end Kuiu, Sitka, UA gear.  My vest is super lightweight polyester so it will dry quickly and not be bulky.  It's basic.  Just orange mesh with black trim and a bit of stretch with a velcro tab on the front.  But it should be fairly durable.  I wore mine all season and tried to destroy it but was only able to get one small hole after tearing through some creek brush in Utah. 

I definitely want to make larger sizes, but that will come later in the winter.

I don't know if it would be good for upland hunters because it has no shell or bird pockets or anything?  But that is probably up to you more than me!

Here is a picture of the current version:

Offline bear hunter

• BEAR HUNTER
  • WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Union SheetMetal Worker 66- welder fab/WCO TRAPPER
    • Danny A Alvarez
  • Groups: WCW, RMEF, DU, BassMasters, WSTA, and Union Sportsmen's Alliaance
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 06:06:52 PM »
I could test one for you. XXXL Going Upland bird hunting.
Boar looking for Sow to hunt with. LOL

Offline whuppinstick

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 06:11:45 PM »

Thanks bear hunter, but just to clarify, right now I only have men's Large available.  Hopefully I will have the larger sizes available later this winter.  I know that won't be useful for hunting, but maybe I can find some people spending time outdoors and get some feedback.  I'll post another note up here when those larger sizes are ready!

Offline bear hunter

• BEAR HUNTER
  • WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Union SheetMetal Worker 66- welder fab/WCO TRAPPER
    • Danny A Alvarez
  • Groups: WCW, RMEF, DU, BassMasters, WSTA, and Union Sportsmen's Alliaance
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 06:16:50 PM »

Thanks

Thanks bear hunter, but just to clarify, right now I only have men's Large available.  Hopefully I will have the larger sizes available later this winter.  I know that won't be useful for hunting, but maybe I can find some people spending time outdoors and get some feedback.  I'll post another note up here when those larger sizes are ready!
Boar looking for Sow to hunt with. LOL

Offline GurrCentral

• Scout
  • Groups: GurrCentral
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 06:39:59 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for the replies.  I will try to get vests out to everybody who has pm'ed me so far.

I will further clarify some questions:

The intention of the vest is to be worn over the nice new hunting clothing that are out there.  Most orange hunting vests I see are fairly robust which, to me, defeats the purpose of all the money you're spending on high-end Kuiu, Sitka, UA gear.  My vest is super lightweight polyester so it will dry quickly and not be bulky.  It's basic.  Just orange mesh with black trim and a bit of stretch with a velcro tab on the front.  But it should be fairly durable.  I wore mine all season and tried to destroy it but was only able to get one small hole after tearing through some creek brush in Utah. 

I definitely want to make larger sizes, but that will come later in the winter.

I don't know if it would be good for upland hunters because it has no shell or bird pockets or anything?  But that is probably up to you more than me!

Here is a picture of the current version:

I think you are on to something with the lightweight route. Simple, gets the job done, looks to breath and dry quickly, just what is needed on the outside of a layering system. Looking forward to checking these out!

Offline whuppinstick

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 06:47:02 PM »

I think you are on to something with the lightweight route. Simple, gets the job done, looks to breath and dry quickly, just what is needed on the outside of a layering system. Looking forward to checking these out!

Great, thanks GurrCentral!
I'm also hoping these might appeal to non-hunters who want something easy to throw on while they are hiking in hunting country during September or October.

Offline whuppinstick

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
I'm all good for upland testers, but have a few more vests I'd like to get in the hands of big game hunters.  Thanks everybody!

Offline Band

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 08:32:04 PM »
I'm also hoping these might appeal to non-hunters who want something easy to throw on while they are hiking in hunting country during September or October.
I think you're going to need to educate the non-hunting public about the need and the timing of when they ought to wear an orange vest.  Hopefully you have a good plan to figure out that piece of the puzzle.

Out of curiosity, what price point are you shooting for?

Offline whuppinstick

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 09:06:29 PM »

Out of curiosity, what price point are you shooting for?

I'm hoping for somewhere in the $15-20 range, but I need to work out a lot of numbers first.  I will definitely offer them to the Hunting Washington community at a reduced rate first, though.

Offline mazama

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 12:27:57 PM »
I have worn the same vest since Wa.required hunter orange,i can wad it up and put it in a pocket,mine looks exactly like yours.

Offline whuppinstick

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 01:45:34 PM »
I have worn the same vest since Wa.required hunter orange,i can wad it up and put it in a pocket,mine looks exactly like yours.

I could've used you a few months ago before I paid a seamstress a bunch of money to make me a pattern.  :)  Do you know if your vest is still sold?  I have looked around extensively but I haven't seen anything similar to mine on the market now.

I mailed off all of the samples today, so you field testers should be receiving them in the next day or two.  I also included a somewhat lengthy questionnaire.  Hopefully it won't take too long to fill out, but definitely skip any questions that are not relevant.  Thank you to everybody who volunteered, I hope we can get a solid, lightweight vest on the market by next year!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal