collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bad news-wolves in the Blue Mtns  (Read 28306 times)

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Bad news-wolves in the Blue Mtns
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 08:01:31 AM »
What are we suppose to do about them, let them become a dominate predator, I thought humans where doing a good enough job of that.  :dunno: There are enough predators already.

Let the WDFW and your reps know your opinion, and report your sightings, with evidence (tracks, photos, location) to the WDFW so they have accurate population data.   Once they have that info.  There is a FEDERAL LAW that says the state must work towards recovery of the species (you know the law, It also saved the eagles) so, the WDFW needs to know how many wolves we have so they can continue building a recovery plan and eventually work towards some management.

Offline Rufous

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 06:49:09 PM »
What if most of us in this state (or county since most of the idiot liberals in the Seattle area will win the vote) do not want wolves in our state? Do we as a state have no say in what goes on in our state? I thought we as states were largely autonomous. Why can the Feds dictate to us what goes on in our state? Wolves are not endangered. So what if there are no wolves in the lower 48? Who says there must be wolves in the lower 48? Those that do not want us hunting anything. That is my opinion. There are lots of wolves in Canada and Alaska so they are not endangered. We do not need them here in Washington. We (mankind) can manage our prey species effectively on our own. Why do we need to add wolves to the mix to reduce prey populations? The elk in the Blue Mountains of SE WA state are already hurting from a variety of factors, including too many open roads, too much human encroachment into the wild lands and too much predation by coyotes, cougars and bears. Now wolves are here and they will only make it worse. I have pretty much given up (before knowing wolves were here) on elk hunting in this area. One can hunt hard and smart and still not even see a spike elk. It is really a joke. I just keep buying an elk tag so I can put in for the branched bull hunt. Now with wolves it will only get worse, long before (if ever) it gets better. I doubt it will get better in my lifetime. It is terribly discouraging. Surely there must be something we can do as hunters. Do we not have a strong voice? Any ideas out there? Thanks, Brian.

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 12:30:18 PM »
What if most of us in this state (or county since most of the idiot liberals in the Seattle area will win the vote) do not want wolves in our state? Do we as a state have no say in what goes on in our state? I thought we as states were largely autonomous. Why can the Feds dictate to us what goes on in our state? Wolves are not endangered. So what if there are no wolves in the lower 48? Who says there must be wolves in the lower 48? Those that do not want us hunting anything. That is my opinion. There are lots of wolves in Canada and Alaska so they are not endangered. We do not need them here in Washington. We (mankind) can manage our prey species effectively on our own. Why do we need to add wolves to the mix to reduce prey populations? The elk in the Blue Mountains of SE WA state are already hurting from a variety of factors, including too many open roads, too much human encroachment into the wild lands and too much predation by coyotes, cougars and bears.

You sort of hit the nail on the head with your comment about roads and human encroachment.  The best thing we can do for the wildlife is block roads and protect their habitat.  The wolves will take some animals, but certianly not all of them.  If we could create and manage quality habitat in our NFS lands and our major public property, we could have both. 

Wolves in WA are still listed.  The Endangered Species Act is the law that says we have to work towards re-establishment of the species.  It's the same law that says we need to protect eagles and grizzly bears.

Offline Thenewguy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Not the newest new guy
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 01:04:26 PM »
What are we suppose to do about them, let them become a dominate predator, I thought humans where doing a good enough job of that.  :dunno: There are enough predators already.

Let the WDFW and your reps know your opinion, and report your sightings, with evidence (tracks, photos, location) to the WDFW so they have accurate population data.   Once they have that info.  There is a FEDERAL LAW that says the state must work towards recovery of the species (you know the law, It also saved the eagles) so, the WDFW needs to know how many wolves we have so they can continue building a recovery plan and eventually work towards some management.

The same management they have been doing with our current animlals? no thanks...

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 01:51:02 PM »

The same management they have been doing with our current animlals? no thanks...
The WDFW has some tough decisions to make.  I agree that some of the management appears to defy logic, and I think they could do a lot of things better.  I also understand that they have lots of tough decisions to make about our game animals and how we hunt them.  They will be the ones in charge of the wolves eventually.  So, if you want to make a difference you should write a well constructed and thought out letter to your reps and to our WDFW outlining what you think should happen.  Join RMEF or a sportsmens group and help them do the same thing.  Coming on HuntWa and writing SSS everytime someone mentions wolves is not going to help.  Being a part of a group and attending meetings to voice your opinion might actually make a difference. 

Maybe someone could draft a well written letter (s?) for the HuntWa group and you could email it to our reps? 

Offline skybusterbo

• Scout
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2008, 02:21:27 PM »
I think the WFDW is introducing them all over the state. And this why I think so. I've hunted all over the state and many others. For many years. deer,elk,bears ect. I've only been on this site a short while. So maybe you guy's and gal's have discusted this subject before, and maybe I'm all wet. But, I have seen wolves for the first time this year.CLOSE!!! Until lately I had not heard of only a few wolf sittings in Washington. But not like this. All of a sudden, People are seeing them in all corners of the state. There must be something to it. The WFDW denies there are wolves in an area until someone shows them a pic and then they fess up. What are they trying to do? this state has enough problems without wolves in the mix. :bdid: :twocents: :twocents:

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2008, 02:42:06 PM »
I do not believe they are stocking them, there is plenty in BC and in Idaho that they do not need to stock them, they are migrating on their own and have plenty of territory to spread out in.

Looks folks I am as frustrated as you about the wolves that are here and the ones that are on their way, but WAcoyotehunter is right, first off most of us vent by saying SSS, however we know we won't, our pocket book wouldn't allow it and better yet our ethics as honest and law abiding hunters won't allow us.  So venting and saying SSS only really does one thing and that is hurt our image and may lead some of these youngsters down the worng path.  As much as we hate it we have to work inside the law and get things changed that way.  At least other states that are currently over run with them are leading the fight so hopefully our herds will not be dessimated before we get good legal relief from what is coming.   :twocents:
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Elkstuffer

• ALL THAT'S WILD TAXIDERMY
  • Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Facebook.com/allthatswildtaxidermy
    • All That's Wild Taxidermy
  • Groups: WWSF, NWTF, RMEF, DU, SCI, MDF
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2008, 06:35:04 PM »
I agree with WAcoyotehunter. When you see a wolf or wolf sign let the local biologist and/or the WDFW know about it. I heard somewhere that they wanted 15 breeding pairs in the state. After they know that they have met the 15 pair quota then they will start to manage them. This whole wolf thing makes me sick to my stomach. I've seen first hand what it has done to the deer, elk and moose populations in Idaho. This is not a good thing to have happen here in WA.

Question: Are Federally protected animals still fair game to the local Indian tribes?
Serving Central Washington and the Northwest for all of your taxidermy needs since 1999.

ALL THAT'S WILD TAXIDERMY
960 Dilley Road
Tieton, WA 98947
(509)673-1579

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it."     Fred Bear

Offline runniNgunnin

• "HE WHO FISTS COWS"-indian name
  • Scout
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2008, 06:48:42 PM »
i think the politically correct answer is no... but all of us know that we should still tell "Running Horse", and "Laughing Coyote" where we saw the wolves at last.
 :chuckle:  :chuckle:  :chuckle:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Offline MichaelJ

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
    • www.facebook.com/hellscanyonarmory
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2008, 06:52:27 PM »
Once they meet their quota then they start managing?  Not from what I've seen!  Didn't they have a quota of like 350 or something like that for ID somewhere?  Now they are up to almost 700?  (This is just off the top of my head, and no I can't cite the info... so take it with a grain of salt...)  And have they started managing???  NOPE!

Michael
Hells Canyon Armory Custom Rifles
https://www.facebook.com/HellsCanyonArmory/
HCARifles@gmail.com

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2008, 06:55:14 PM »
I am not in the popular opinion but here goes.

Wolves were part of the ecology of this state.  The endangered species act wants them reintroduced.  Now the bigger issue is how do we manage them?  So far it seems only Alaska is allowed to manage theirs.

Idaho is in a world of hurt because they haven't been allowed to manage them.  I was there I voted, the people voted the feds shot them down.  The fed doesn't want wolves managed by the states.  The anti's don't understand the term management.

As for WA and wolves being introduced.....yes yes they were about 10 years ago or more.  Several packs were created and when people started claiming sightings it was kept very hush hush.  Same with the grizzlies. No photo's to confirm it.

Taking pics is a start, documenting numbers and areas will help.  Hell send pics to the papers.  Knowing how many there really are and where is important.  Of course the same could be said for the hoof rot in elk, and other management issues.  

Wolves do not have to be bad news IF and this is a huge IF, if we can manage them without being dictated to by do-gooders who know nothing of animal husbandry, and wildlife biology.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2008, 08:29:02 PM »
i can vouch from personal experience that when a wolf is seen by everyday joe hunter and reported to the wdfw...they don't "fess up" because now we know they're there.... they do everything they can to try and verify the wolf's presence. they will come out to where you said you saw a wolf and start looking for sign...poo, tracks, hair, etc. it's not a matter of them fessing up. they won't deny a wolf's presence anywhere. don't believe me? call and ask. i did, and i got a straight answer and confirmed older family members and their livestock out in the sticks out there. if they have confirmed a wolf, they will tell you.

don't get me wrong...i don't want them running around here or anywhere, but it's a fact of life we are going to have to get used to. everybody saying SSS just makes me think those folks are about equal with poachers of any kind, because thats what it is...plain and simple. they are federally protected, and if you kill one, you're a poacher.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline American Rattlesnake

• Tracker
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2008, 02:11:23 PM »
Do we as a state have no say in what goes on in our state? I thought we as states were largely autonomous. Why can the Feds dictate to us what goes on in our state?

I am afraid we lost that battle back in the 1860's.

Offline American Rattlesnake

• Tracker
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2008, 02:16:14 PM »
Once they meet their quota then they start managing?  Not from what I've seen!  Didn't they have a quota of like 350 or something like that for ID somewhere?  Now they are up to almost 700?  (This is just off the top of my head, and no I can't cite the info... so take it with a grain of salt...)  And have they started managing???  NOPE!

Michael

To be perfectly fair, though, remember that ID, MT, and WY instituted hunting seasons for wolves in '08.  They started their management plan but were stopped by a federal court order.

Offline zach318

• Pilgrim
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2008, 06:30:52 PM »
what does "SSS" mean?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]