collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ramrod/Starter Damaging bullet  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Pete112288

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Ramrod/Starter Damaging bullet
« on: December 12, 2014, 05:34:29 PM »
When I unloaded a bullet from my gun the other day and after that I watched closer as I loaded a few more and noticed my ramrod and my starter are damaging the bullet. I shoot Hornady Great Plains bullets. The starter and ramrod are pushing a ring into the top of the bullet. This mainly happens when getting the bullet just past the muzzle and then again when seating the bullet. I have tried being more ginger on it but it still happens. Are there any better loading tips for this style of all lead bullet? Any helpful tips?

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Re: Ramrod/Starter Damaging bullet
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 05:42:08 PM »
Is it your starting rod that is making the mark or your ramrod?  If it is your ramrod, I would file it flat since the barrel will keep it centered on the tip.  If it is your starter, maybe you can use a dremel grinding tip to shape it like your bullet?  I know many pointy lead bullets come with their own rod tip to fit them.

I used to get a ring when loading, I really don't think it makes much of a difference, but then I was not shooting over 100 yards at critters or targets.

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 06:04:13 PM »
I doubt the little damage makes much difference.  :dunno:

You can get the same thing on modern rifle cartridges , loading and unloading.

I think you are worrying over nothing. :twocents:
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 06:09:19 PM »
i was worried about the same thing but its easy, go out ant shoot it if it groups well then dont worry about it. i shot 4 inch groups at 100yards with mine with open sights wich is plenty for me. My girlfriend killed a doe last weekend with it, gun and bullets performed perfectly(shooting same hornady bullets as you).

Offline MountainDevil54

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 07:28:07 PM »
Use the proper seating jag attachment. Give Hornady an email and see what they can offer.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 04:53:27 PM »
Use the proper seating jag attachment. Give Hornady an email and see what they can offer.

Unless it is his starter, I have not seen any that can change tips, but I haven't looked for a while either.  When I got a bullet tip ring, it was from the starter since that is when most force needs to be used.

Honestly, unless it is deforming the point, I wouldn't worry about it.  Plus, it will probably put the same mark on each bullet and be consistent anyways.   :twocents:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal