collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Changes to Dog Use on Wildlife Areas?  (Read 13647 times)

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Changes to Dog Use on Wildlife Areas?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2014, 04:57:08 PM »
Well hopefully they will say you can't walk pet dogs out there, only hunting dogs.
Why would someone with a hunting dog be more entitled than someone without?

Maybe because hunters pay for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So does every other taxpayer...

Offline Stickerbush

• Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2014, 05:37:26 PM »
Interesting
Coastal Perspective.

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2014, 07:00:15 PM »
Well common sense tells us that no pet walking while hunting season is in effect,however that won't likely be the case.In order to passify a small special interest group of pet owners... hunters will be forced to hunt dogless or with a  mandatory 40 foot leash,failure to obey will be punishable by 75 dollars per unleashed dog.

Offline Roo

• Tracker
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2014, 07:37:54 PM »
I say our dogs can be leashed by Ecollar. My dog rarely even notices other dogs in the field or on hikes she is too busy with herself to be bothered.

Offline Tealer

• Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2014, 08:03:17 PM »

Well hopefully they will say you can't walk pet dogs out there, only hunting dogs.

To a much, much lesser extent.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2014, 08:15:38 PM »
There were issues at some of the other wildlife areas as well.  Not sure if it led to complaints being sent up or not.  But seems a lot of people go to look for retirement homes in summer and then think they know an area based off how it was during a couple weeks in summer. 

Offline sakoshooter

• WFW Board of Directors
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Life Memberr NRA, Life Member Sumner Sportsmans Association
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2014, 11:21:01 PM »

That's probably what's coming.
Rhinelander, WI
Home of the Hodag

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2014, 11:50:00 PM »

:yeah: that's what should be noted too
that's all we needs another darned law :bash: :bash:
 :sry: :chuckle: :dunno:
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 12:05:58 AM »
Maybe.....just maybe......hunting dogs should be required to purchase their own hunting license???   

JOKING....JUST JOKING....OH GOODNESS!!!!! I COULDNT HELP MYSELF.  I HAD TO.   :chuckle:

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2014, 05:08:46 AM »
They probably just don't want hunting dogs disturbing the the endangered wolves that will be populating the wildlife areas.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2014, 09:15:12 AM »

Say you're out hunting birds, your dog goes on point, and some jackwagon's pet lab comes bounding along off leash and causes the bird(s) your dog is pointing to flush and you lose the shot. That tap dances on hunter harassment, can lead to a dog fight, and one mad hunter. People who aren't hunting with their dogs really need to keep them leashed during hunting season.

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2014, 09:17:23 AM »

could make a leash law unless in the act of hunting with a valid hunting license in the pocket of the dog owner

What about training hunting dogs, or exercising? You can't get a bird dog in shape if you keep it on a leash.

I don't like to train in wildlife areas myself, I dunno was a possibility  :dunno:

A piece of advice I learned from some coverdog field trialers years ago. Don't over do the pen raised birds. Those pigeons are great, but you can over do it. Dogs hunting wild birds need wild bird contacts.

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2014, 10:16:04 AM »
Maybe I am seeing this wrong- but from the original post and picture, I would venture to say that these negative confrontations with pedestrians and pets are coming from the parking lot areas. At least at the Stillwater sites, there is a walking path along the roads that Hunters must cross over to get to the hunting areas. I assume that off leash dogs crossing this path and/or parking area is where the problems arise, as opposed to actually out in the fields? I personally quit hunting at W.Wash release sites in the early 90's because of the absolute stupidity that goes on there. I am actually surprised it has taken this long before WDFW has had to act on complaints from the general public. I am not advocating that we should lose hunting grounds in any way shape or form- but policing inside our ranks has never been a better idea than now at those locations. Aside from a couple of years ago up at Fir Island with the snow geese, I have never seen a more apalling show of "hunters" out in the field as I have seen at Stillwater. Ever. How many people get dusted with shot out at that place in a year? Any one have statistics? I know that I saw at least two Tundra swans smoked and left to rot after someone mentioned that those were in fact swans and not snow geese...
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline MP123

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2014, 11:11:00 AM »

could make a leash law unless in the act of hunting with a valid hunting license in the pocket of the dog owner

That would certainly be nice.  I HOPE they do that.  But I think it's more likely that they'll just have a leash law for all dogs hunting or not.  Much easier to enforce and it will pacify all the people that were whining in the first place. 

Better get that 1,000 foot check cord ready!

Offline longrangehunter338

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA,3GUN,RMEF
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2014, 01:01:46 PM »
Maybe I am seeing this wrong- but from the original post and picture, I would venture to say that these negative confrontations with pedestrians and pets are coming from the parking lot areas. At least at the Stillwater sites, there is a walking path along the roads that Hunters must cross over to get to the hunting areas. I assume that off leash dogs crossing this path and/or parking area is where the problems arise, as opposed to actually out in the fields? I personally quit hunting at W.Wash release sites in the early 90's because of the absolute stupidity that goes on there. I am actually surprised it has taken this long before WDFW has had to act on complaints from the general public. I am not advocating that we should lose hunting grounds in any way shape or form- but policing inside our ranks has never been a better idea than now at those locations. Aside from a couple of years ago up at Fir Island with the snow geese, I have never seen a more apalling show of "hunters" out in the field as I have seen at Stillwater. Ever. How many people get dusted with shot out at that place in a year? Any one have statistics? I know that I saw at least two Tundra swans smoked and left to rot after someone mentioned that those were in fact swans and not snow geese...

:yeah:

Same goes for scatter creek, a guy brought out his german shepherd for open day pheasant and that dog was all over the creek running up on other dogs even after getting shocked multiple times by its handler who could not keep control of his dog.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal