collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How did you get started out of state big game hunting?  (Read 10252 times)

Offline James

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
How did you get started out of state big game hunting?
« on: December 15, 2014, 09:26:18 AM »
I have always hunted in state due to tag cost and scouting logistics issues. The only way I have been successful with big game is lots and lots of scouting. I do plenty of virtual scouting (topo maps, aerial photos, etc.), but I still have always needed to burn a lot of boot leather.   Living in western WA, and trying to scout Montana or Idaho doesn’t seem very feasible.  I would burn up all my vacation simply scouting and not be able to hunt. So I am interested to see how other guys made the leap.

The reason for this is because I had a great year this season, and my father, who now in his 60’s and haven’t hunted in decades, has gotten really excited and is considering hunting next year. He is not in the sort of shape to hunt my areas, and doesn’t like hunting near lots of people so proposed trying to hunt out of state in hope for more animals, less hiking needed, and lower hunter densities.

It would be really cool to put this father son hunting trip together so I was hoping to get on pro tips on how others started off doing public land hunts out of state. Most likely we will start off targeting deer.

Thanks guys!
You will never shoot a camp bull by spending all your time hunting in the woods.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
Re: How did you get started out of state big game hunting?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 09:34:44 AM »
 Jump in with both feet, pun intended ;) Buy a tag and learn as you hunt/hike, just as you did in Washington, I'm sure that is how most on here figured out their spots.

The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 09:40:05 AM »
Learn what you can in advance from the Internet, Google Earth, maps, talking with bios and former tag holders, etc.  But in the end, I always figure the first couple days of a new area will be scouting with a tag in my pocket.  To me, that's a huge part of the fun and challenge.  You never know what you might find just around the next corner. 

Offline James

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 10:18:52 AM »
Jump in with both feet, pun intended ;) Buy a tag and learn as you hunt/hike, just as you did in Washington, I'm sure that is how most on here figured out their spots.

Indeed it is how I learned my spots here, but many times in the begining in washington that ended up with not seeing much or screwing up the area because I entered it in the wrong way.  Not all scouting trips were successfull. I would hate to put all that work and money into an out of state trip and have it go poorly.

Learn what you can in advance from the Internet, Google Earth, maps, talking with bios and former tag holders, etc.  But in the end, I always figure the first couple days of a new area will be scouting with a tag in my pocket.  To me, that's a huge part of the fun and challenge.  You never know what you might find just around the next corner.

Yeah, and I do that stuff, but even with that I have hit many places that had nothing or just you had to adjust your approach to the area from what looked best on the topo.  Getting that sorted out in scouting has allowed me to take animals, when I haven't I usualy don't see anything or scare many of them off in the first day before I figure it out.
You will never shoot a camp bull by spending all your time hunting in the woods.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 10:31:26 AM »
If you are DIY you run the risk of blowing the whole kit and caboodle, but the reward is fantastic.  You essentially take what you know about game here and apply it there.   If you can read maps, have some basic knowledge, it has always seemed to work out for me.    I have never been much of an internet scouter believe it or not.  Lots of folks use this.   I used magazines and books to learn general areas and herds and went from there.   Huntinfool magazine has good information and is a source.  Eastmans has some stuff.    No matter what state you are in, you will often find that there is someone else in your spot.   Other states aren't always magically better.   Just too many people these days, and the tools used to research seem to make it easy for everyone else as well.   You can dive into the permit game.  Hopefully you have money to burn.  All states are basically moving toward taking your money. 

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 10:38:26 AM »
Looked at success rates for units, aerial imagery, stuff like that. Then I simply hiked up and up till I didn't see people and once I got there I started seeing game. How I did it in Idaho at least. Would see plenty of people down low, not too many where I was.

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 10:39:25 AM »
Dosent really matter what state you go to, what you do here is what you have to do there to be successful.  You might look into a guided or semi guided hunt to accomplish what you are after.  I generally figure it takes at least a couple of years in an area before you can really feel confident in the area.  I promise you  can't expect to internet or magazine scout a new area and really guarantee a great hunt or a dirth of other hunters no matter what state you go to.  Tag soup is not a Washington menu exclusive.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 10:44:39 AM »
Social networking is huge now.   A lot of folks go that route.   I was lucky, a good friend of mine moved to someplace I wanted to check out.  People of like mind or that can help out and are trustworthy not to blow it for them tend to help get a person on the right track.   Eventhough I am about as unconnected as they come, I was lucky to have met the right folks at the right time through my life, and am trustworthy so that also helped.   Do you have any connections out of state who are willing to help?

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 11:16:32 AM »
The other thing that hasn't been mentioned...it can really help to have a sweet tag! 

Some places are just better than others, and that can really change the learning curve.  Build some points and get a better tag and/or apply for higher demand units in Idaho and NM where they don't have points.

Offline MP123

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 11:46:22 AM »
In that situation I'd sure consider a guided hunt.  Unless that's just not your thing...

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 11:59:16 AM »
For a lot of new guys hunting out of state it can be pretty intimidating.  The biggest thing is just do it.  Scouting can be/is overrated anyway.

My personal feeling is that I know how to hunt pretty well and will do pretty well just about anywhere I am at.  If you have been hunting for awhile and have been pretty successful, trust your instinct.  Go to enjoy being out there and don't have any expectations, including shooting the first animal you see.  The first year I would suggest staying somewhat mobile so that you can move to different areas if you need to.       

Offline James

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 01:27:44 PM »
If you are DIY you run the risk of blowing the whole kit and caboodle, but the reward is fantastic.  You essentially take what you know about game here and apply it there.   If you can read maps, have some basic knowledge, it has always seemed to work out for me.    I have never been much of an internet scouter believe it or not.  Lots of folks use this.   I used magazines and books to learn general areas and herds and went from there.   Huntinfool magazine has good information and is a source.  Eastmans has some stuff.    No matter what state you are in, you will often find that there is someone else in your spot.   Other states aren't always magically better.   Just too many people these days, and the tools used to research seem to make it easy for everyone else as well.   You can dive into the permit game.  Hopefully you have money to burn.  All states are basically moving toward taking your money.

It is comforting to hear that it has worked out for others just doing what they do in their home state.  I know that sounds painfully obvious, but having numbers behind it improves confidence.

Looked at success rates for units, aerial imagery, stuff like that. Then I simply hiked up and up till I didn't see people and once I got there I started seeing game. How I did it in Idaho at least. Would see plenty of people down low, not too many where I was.

Aerial imagery and topo maps are SOP for me anyways, but the next thing I was going to try to dig up is success rates, animal population densities, buck to doe ratios, and hunter densities during hunting seasons. I am hoping like washington they have that data availible.

Dosent really matter what state you go to, what you do here is what you have to do there to be successful.  You might look into a guided or semi guided hunt to accomplish what you are after.  I generally figure it takes at least a couple of years in an area before you can really feel confident in the area.  I promise you  can't expect to internet or magazine scout a new area and really guarantee a great hunt or a dirth of other hunters no matter what state you go to.  Tag soup is not a Washington menu exclusive.

The guided hunting isn't really my thing and I am not looking for the internet or a rag to tell me where to go.  I just know that my methouds for finding game are very time consuming, and I am worried with the extra travel time I will be put at a disadvantage. I am hoping to learn how others made the leap and it sounds like most guys do a little background looking, maybe talk to some friends, but ultimitly just dive in head first.

Social networking is huge now.   A lot of folks go that route.   I was lucky, a good friend of mine moved to someplace I wanted to check out.  People of like mind or that can help out and are trustworthy not to blow it for them tend to help get a person on the right track.   Eventhough I am about as unconnected as they come, I was lucky to have met the right folks at the right time through my life, and am trustworthy so that also helped.   Do you have any connections out of state who are willing to help?

Good call, I have a couple friends that grew up in MT, I should touch base with them.

The other thing that hasn't been mentioned...it can really help to have a sweet tag! 

Yeah, a good tag always helps, I should put more effort into learning everyone elses tag system. 

Some places are just better than others, and that can really change the learning curve.  Build some points and get a better tag and/or apply for higher demand units in Idaho and NM where they don't have points.

I am hoping my looking into success rates, animal population densities, buck to doe ratios, and hunter densities during hunting seasons should help finding a better place.  Of course if you have some honey holes feel free to PM me  :chuckle:

In that situation I'd sure consider a guided hunt.  Unless that's just not your thing...

Yeah, a guided hunt is not my thing really, but I am considering picking up a map from Bearpaw.

For a lot of new guys hunting out of state it can be pretty intimidating.  The biggest thing is just do it.  Scouting can be/is overrated anyway.

My personal feeling is that I know how to hunt pretty well and will do pretty well just about anywhere I am at.  If you have been hunting for awhile and have been pretty successful, trust your instinct.  Go to enjoy being out there and don't have any expectations, including shooting the first animal you see.  The first year I would suggest staying somewhat mobile so that you can move to different areas if you need to.       

Thank you

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 01:40:32 PM »
Step one: put the WA state line in your rearview mirror.  :)
Seriously, start with the state wildlife agencies' websites.  Application periods are pretty early in some states, for example nonresident elk in Wyoming closes January 31.  Decide what you want to hunt, and where.  It is much less intimidating to learn one specific area than to try to consider all of the possibilities.  I'd suggest Oregon or Idaho to get your feet wet.  Pick a decent public land area with a decent success rate and decent draw odds (some are OTC, but not many).

If cash is tight, consider a dry run - pick up a small game license, or just go camp and fish in the summer.  This way you wont drop $500-1000 on a big game license and tag combo in unfamiliar area.  Some states offer very inexpensive doe tags, as another option.

Lastly, when you go, LEARN the regulations pertinent to what you will be doing in the selected state.  DON'T assume what is legal at home is legal where you are going.  For simplicity, I would start with large public land areas; odds to hunt them are tougher, but you won't run afoul of private property.  What are the orange requirements?  Tagging?  Evidence of sex?  Hunter safety required?  Carrying hunter safety card required?  Is it a stand-alone license, or do you need specific tags?  Most states will have a list of most-common violations.  When I worked in Wyoming, as an example, you needed a big game license for each animal, but no requirement for a "hunting package" or hunting license.  You also needed a conservation stamp, and if born after January 1, 1966, required to carry on your person your hunter safety card.  To shoot forest grouse, you need to have an upland bird license.  etc.

As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline longstevo

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 03:01:08 PM »
Dad took me when I was 15, and I've been hooked ever since.  To Idaho, that is.  That trip we saw every North American big game animal except moose, wolf, and cougar. 

But, sounds like the way I do is the way that you do it.  If you're looking for an easier hunt for an older father (mine is getting up there, too), then maybe whitetail hunting is the way to go.  Find the right spot, and there's much less walking than for high country mule deer. 

At least in my experience. 
If you don't stand behind the troops, please feel free to stand in front of us.

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 03:12:46 PM »
Montana is a great place to start, healthy herds for the most part and easy to read regs. Only downside is the tags are not cheap.

Offline fordpowerforever

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 03:39:32 PM »
pick up a gazetteer book or a landowner gps map and you can really see where some good public land is to start seeing which tags are available...

Offline Bigshooter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 03:54:55 PM »
I don't think there is a better place to go on some one's first ever  out of state deer hunt than Eastern Montana.  Lots of deer and a good amount of public access.  Get a gps with a MT chip and enjoy. 
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline zike

• Scout
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 04:02:08 PM »
[quote author=James link=topic=166992.msg2204042#msg2204042 
The reason for this is because I had a great year this season, and my father, who now in his 60’s and haven’t hunted in decades, has gotten really excited and is considering hunting next year. He is not in the sort of shape to hunt my areas, and doesn’t like hunting near lots of people so proposed trying to hunt out of state in hope for more animals, less hiking needed, and lower hunter densities.

It would be really cool to put this father son hunting trip together so I was hoping to get on pro tips on how others started off doing public land hunts out of state. Most likely we will start off targeting deer.

Thanks guys!
[/quote]

I'm in the same boat as your Dad, I'm late 60's and a disabled hunter in WA. I hunted ID first time in 20 years and wasn't impressed, I have a bunch of tags for tag soup. But I did have a good time, I hunted 8A and 10A. There was a lot of people in 10A during elk season and most were riding atv's. It was a fun place to ride I bought a new UTV for it. I was there for Archery, MOD and ML. I finished up yesterday in 8A saw lots of tracks but no deer. Saturday I saw a buck and a wolf but few tracks. But there was no people.
I think your going to find to be successful you need to hunt high   and hard or hunt flat with little game and lots of people. I was surprised at the camps set up weeks before season. Motorhomes and trailers set up every where, 6 or 8 in a group for elk. It was hard to find a place.

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 04:04:00 PM »
Montana is a great place to start, healthy herds for the most part and easy to read regs. Only downside is the tags are not cheap.

Lots of public land in Montana.  However, most of it is bordered by private land.  You need very good maps, or even better a GPS
which shows both public and private land.  The ranchers in Montana take exception to people hunting on their property without
permission. 

If you decide to hunt in Montana, I would get the information on the Block Management Program which is available on the Montana
Fish, Wildlife & Parks website.  They provide lots of excellent maps.
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 04:21:46 PM »
It really is a roll of the dice.  I have never once scouted any of the places I have hunted in other states.  You do all your homework like talking to bio's, google earth, Eastman's and Huntinfool magazine's, forums like this etc., but in the end you just gotta saddle up and go. 

Step one is to pick a state.  From there you need to figure out what part of the state you want to hunt.  Most F&G websites have all the info you need like hunter densities and success rates.  Once you have some of that figured out and a few areas picked, its time to talk to bio's and wardens.  These guys are usually (some suck) pretty good at helping out.   After you have an area picked out its time to come up with plan a,b,c,d,e,f,and g. Seriously!  Going in blind can go one of two ways, hard suckage or epic success!  If an area sucks, move to the next.  Having multiple areas picked out can save a hunt.  Its basically process of elimination.  The more you hunt an area the more successful you will be but you have to find an area worth going back to, and thats the hardest part.

When it comes down to it, elk are elk and deer are deer, no matter what state they call home.  If you can successfully kill them in Washington, you can successfully kill them anywhere.  Lots of areas in other states can be slim pickings but from my experiences, everywhere I have hunted in other states has been better than washington and had better trophy potential.

Lastly, know the potential for where you are hunting.  If you go to Montana expecting to shoot 180" deer from the truck you could be there a while.  The genetics and age class just aren't there in most regions.  Places like Colorado though, there is potential for a boone and crocket deer in every county.  My 2nd choice colorado hunt is tough with a lot of otc elk hunters running everywhere and is considered one of the worst deer areas in the state but our group kills good mature deer every year and a few 180"+. 

Its an addicting game where the research and application process is as exciting as going on the hunt.  It starts with one state and otc tag and ends in divorce and bankruptcy :chuckle:

If you want to test the waters without much risk I recommend Eastern Montana.  Tag wise it is expensive but you can literally shoot a buck from your truck if you just wanted to kill a deer.  Endless amounts of public land to roam.  Lots of deer, lots of bucks, mild terrain for hiking, and tags are available basically otc.  Go the week of Nov 14-21st next year and you will never want to hunt washington again.  It is just a good quality experience chasing mule deer in the rut.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 04:23:27 PM »
Also, like Doublelung stated, know the regs for the state you are in.  Know what you have to have and how you need to transport game.  You don't want to bring home a whole deer from a state that has CWD, etc.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 04:26:16 PM »

Lots of public land in Montana.  However, most of it is bordered by private land.  You need very good maps, or even better a GPS
which shows both public and private land.  The ranchers in Montana take exception to people hunting on their property without
permission. 

If you decide to hunt in Montana, I would get the information on the Block Management Program which is available on the Montana
This is true but it is not that difficult to find BLM and BMA land once you are there.  Get a current atlas, land maps from F&G, or better yet, onxmaps for your gps.

Offline Carl

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2014, 05:03:19 PM »
Tagging. I would love to take my son on an out-of-state trip

Offline DeerThug

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 07:12:02 PM »
For a first out of state trip try Wyoming for antelope.  About as affordable as you can get and for a father and son a blast.  First time we went came back with 10 animals 2 bucks and 4 does each.  Learned that lesson but a good time.  If interested PM me and I will give you the unit we were in - not that there are plenty of others better and if you get drawn I will draw you an X on the map and tell you what and how to do it.  Not a slam dunk as I have seen plenty of empty trucks drive by us there, but if you can hunt you can whack and stack if you want with plenty of shots around 100 yards or so.  We did a 5 day trip 1 day travel on each end and 3 days there.
Shoot straight Shoot often

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2014, 07:22:12 PM »
For a first out of state trip try Wyoming for antelope.  About as affordable as you can get and for a father and son a blast.  First time we went came back with 10 animals 2 bucks and 4 does each.  Learned that lesson but a good time.  If interested PM me and I will give you the unit we were in - not that there are plenty of others better and if you get drawn I will draw you an X on the map and tell you what and how to do it.  Not a slam dunk as I have seen plenty of empty trucks drive by us there, but if you can hunt you can whack and stack if you want with plenty of shots around 100 yards or so.  We did a 5 day trip 1 day travel on each end and 3 days there.
:yeah: Antelope is a blast and not terribly difficult.  Excellent table fair as well. 

Offline Halo

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2014, 08:27:33 PM »
I got started hunting out of state many years ago when my wife was pregnant and the due date was in the middle of October. Desperate times call for desperate measures. I did a little research and figured out that Oregon had a high buck hunt in early September that was easy to draw. I figured I could get away with that. My daughters birthday is October 17th by the way. That hunt was so fun I just kept applying. About that time Garth had started the Huntin Fool magazine, and I was friends with and grew up hunting and trapping with his brother, so it was probably inevitable that I started applying in more states. Beware once you get started building points you may find yourself commited to a game department fueled gambling addiction. I agree with the Wyoming antelope idea, I have done that three times and will likely go again next year. It's always fun, especially for a person used to hunting Washington blacktail. Wyoming you usually see more antelope bucks in the first hour than you see blacktail bucks in an entire season. Idaho might be a good state to look at also, lots of fun options there.

Offline MerriamMagician

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Success is the only option
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2014, 10:22:51 PM »
Several of you guys have mentioned talking to the Biologists; Whats the best way to get ahold of these guys though? Just try to look them up on the State Wildlife Dept. websites or DNR departments? I've been doing some out of state research myself, finding phone numbers or emails has been a bit of a struggle for me.
Gobblers only, all jakes must walk

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2014, 06:00:28 AM »
Websites are great but can sometimes be confusing.  Best advice is just to call them up!  There should be some sort of main contact number or an 800 number listed under department contact info.  Call that and say I was wanting to hunt (insert area) could I have bio or warden contact info.

Offline James

• Scout
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2014, 10:41:27 AM »
Seriously, start with the state wildlife agencies' websites.  Application periods are pretty early in some states, for example nonresident elk in Wyoming closes January 31.  Decide what you want to hunt, and where.  It is much less intimidating to learn one specific area than to try to consider all of the possibilities.  I'd suggest Oregon or Idaho to get your feet wet.  Pick a decent public land area with a decent success rate and decent draw odds (some are OTC, but not many).

If cash is tight, consider a dry run - pick up a small game license, or just go camp and fish in the summer.  This way you wont drop $500-1000 on a big game license and tag combo in unfamiliar area.  Some states offer very inexpensive doe tags, as another option.

Lastly, when you go, LEARN the regulations pertinent to what you will be doing in the selected state.  DON'T assume what is legal at home is legal where you are going.  For simplicity, I would start with large public land areas; odds to hunt them are tougher, but you won't run afoul of private property.  What are the orange requirements?  Tagging?  Evidence of sex?  Hunter safety required?  Carrying hunter safety card required?  Is it a stand-alone license, or do you need specific tags?  Most states will have a list of most-common violations.  When I worked in Wyoming, as an example, you needed a big game license for each animal, but no requirement for a "hunting package" or hunting license.  You also needed a conservation stamp, and if born after January 1, 1966, required to carry on your person your hunter safety card.  To shoot forest grouse, you need to have an upland bird license.  etc.

Great info thanks.  My father and I used to Flyfish a lot in ID and MT, he has been itching to go back.

Dad took me when I was 15, and I've been hooked ever since.  To Idaho, that is.  That trip we saw every North American big game animal except moose, wolf, and cougar. 

But, sounds like the way I do is the way that you do it.  If you're looking for an easier hunt for an older father (mine is getting up there, too), then maybe whitetail hunting is the way to go.  Find the right spot, and there's much less walking than for high country mule deer. 

At least in my experience. 

Yeah whitetail or any resident mule deer willing to hang out down a bit lower was what I was thinking was best.

Thank you, as long as the hunting is good I think we can deal with the tag cost!

pick up a gazetteer book or a landowner gps map and you can really see where some good public land is to start seeing which tags are available...

I am a complete map nerd so that is all in the SOP.

I don't think there is a better place to go on some one's first ever  out of state deer hunt than Eastern Montana.  Lots of deer and a good amount of public access.  Get a gps with a MT chip and enjoy. 

Thank you.  Initally I was thinking something closer to washington, but the more I think about it the more I am thinking eastern MT whitetails are a hot ticket.

I'm in the same boat as your Dad, I'm late 60's and a disabled hunter in WA. I hunted ID first time in 20 years and wasn't impressed, I have a bunch of tags for tag soup. But I did have a good time, I hunted 8A and 10A. There was a lot of people in 10A during elk season and most were riding atv's. It was a fun place to ride I bought a new UTV for it. I was there for Archery, MOD and ML. I finished up yesterday in 8A saw lots of tracks but no deer. Saturday I saw a buck and a wolf but few tracks. But there was no people.
I think your going to find to be successful you need to hunt high   and hard or hunt flat with little game and lots of people. I was surprised at the camps set up weeks before season. Motorhomes and trailers set up every where, 6 or 8 in a group for elk. It was hard to find a place.

Good to hear you still had a good time, but it sounds like where you went is not where I would want to target.  Thanks for the info.

permission. 

Thank you, I will grab their maps.

It really is a roll of the dice.  I have never once scouted any of the places I have hunted in other states.  You do all your homework like talking to bio's, google earth, Eastman's and Huntinfool magazine's, forums like this etc., but in the end you just gotta saddle up and go. 

Step one is to pick a state.  From there you need to figure out what part of the state you want to hunt.  Most F&G websites have all the info you need like hunter densities and success rates.  Once you have some of that figured out and a few areas picked, its time to talk to bio's and wardens.  These guys are usually (some suck) pretty good at helping out.   After you have an area picked out its time to come up with plan a,b,c,d,e,f,and g. Seriously!  Going in blind can go one of two ways, hard suckage or epic success!  If an area sucks, move to the next.  Having multiple areas picked out can save a hunt.  Its basically process of elimination.  The more you hunt an area the more successful you will be but you have to find an area worth going back to, and thats the hardest part.

When it comes down to it, elk are elk and deer are deer, no matter what state they call home.  If you can successfully kill them in Washington, you can successfully kill them anywhere.  Lots of areas in other states can be slim pickings but from my experiences, everywhere I have hunted in other states has been better than washington and had better trophy potential.

Lastly, know the potential for where you are hunting.  If you go to Montana expecting to shoot 180" deer from the truck you could be there a while.  The genetics and age class just aren't there in most regions.  Places like Colorado though, there is potential for a boone and crocket deer in every county.  My 2nd choice colorado hunt is tough with a lot of otc elk hunters running everywhere and is considered one of the worst deer areas in the state but our group kills good mature deer every year and a few 180"+. 

Its an addicting game where the research and application process is as exciting as going on the hunt.  It starts with one state and otc tag and ends in divorce and bankruptcy :chuckle:

If you want to test the waters without much risk I recommend Eastern Montana.  Tag wise it is expensive but you can literally shoot a buck from your truck if you just wanted to kill a deer.  Endless amounts of public land to roam.  Lots of deer, lots of bucks, mild terrain for hiking, and tags are available basically otc.  Go the week of Nov 14-21st next year and you will never want to hunt washington again.  It is just a good quality experience chasing mule deer in the rut.

Thanks for the info, andd yeah eastern MT is sounding better and better.

I really hadn't considered antelope, but that is a really great idea! Thanks!

I got started hunting out of state many years ago when my wife was pregnant and the due date was in the middle of October. Desperate times call for desperate measures. I did a little research and figured out that Oregon had a high buck hunt in early September that was easy to draw. I figured I could get away with that. My daughters birthday is October 17th by the way. That hunt was so fun I just kept applying. About that time Garth had started the Huntin Fool magazine, and I was friends with and grew up hunting and trapping with his brother, so it was probably inevitable that I started applying in more states. Beware once you get started building points you may find yourself commited to a game department fueled gambling addiction. I agree with the Wyoming antelope idea, I have done that three times and will likely go again next year. It's always fun, especially for a person used to hunting Washington blacktail. Wyoming you usually see more antelope bucks in the first hour than you see blacktail bucks in an entire season. Idaho might be a good state to look at also, lots of fun options there.

Out hunting the high hunt with a pregnant wife, you should teach a class.  Many men could learn a lot from you!

Offline Labs07

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2014, 04:10:20 PM »
I had a friend invite me to WY to hunt Elk with him.  Best time I've had Elk hunting and plenty of animals.  just spend some time looking at maps and google earth.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2014, 04:37:42 PM »
If you decide to pull the trigger on some MT deer tags hit me up with a pm.  I will point you in a good direction.  Idaho is a bit tougher nut to crack than Montana.  Montana is simple, drive until the land starts to flatten out, find public land, shoot 4pt :chuckle:  Idaho is steep, deep, and the deer densities aren't near as high as a lot of places.  Lots of chocolate antlered monsters come from there but they are hard earned usually.

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2014, 05:26:40 PM »
Broadus, MT..................The Mule Deer Capital of the World.

Just do a search on Powder River mule deer......................
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2014, 05:35:24 PM »
Broadus, MT..................The Mule Deer Capital of the World.

Just do a search on Powder River mule deer......................
Biggest buck I have ever seen in Montana was in Broadus, on an Antelope hunt.  The day before rifle deer season opened :bash:  It was on a chunk of restricted BMA and all the slots for the following week were booked!  I could have cried!  This buck and two others were living in a dry creek bed that had just a few little puddles here and there.  You could tell they hadn't seen humans in a long while.  I knew this because they stood there and staired up at me for a solid two minutes while I was trying to get my camera out of my pack.............at 15 yards!  I seriously wanted to cry.

Broadus does get a ton of pressure though, and good age class deer are few and far between.  Good numbers of deer though, both muleys and whitetails.

Offline James

• Scout
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2014, 09:13:32 PM »
If you decide to pull the trigger on some MT deer tags hit me up with a pm.  I will point you in a good direction.  Idaho is a bit tougher nut to crack than Montana.  Montana is simple, drive until the land starts to flatten out, find public land, shoot 4pt :chuckle:  Idaho is steep, deep, and the deer densities aren't near as high as a lot of places.  Lots of chocolate antlered monsters come from there but they are hard earned usually.

That is a very generous offer, I will let you know, thank you very much!

Offline GotMyTag

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, WSF, RMEF
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2014, 07:02:05 AM »
Doublelung has it right.

Offline Idahocougar

• Tracker
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2014, 10:05:33 AM »
Like said b4 start out with an antelope hunt. If the draw odds are really good most likely the area has alot of private property. If the tag is a little harder to draw usually the area holds more public land. An antelope hunt is about as fun as it gets!

Offline James

• Scout
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2014, 06:24:33 PM »
Thanks guys, I am thinking of putting my initial focus on a pronghorn hunt or an Easter MT WT hunt and seeing what I dig up then go from there.

Offline Jarhead Chase

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NDA
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2014, 09:02:55 AM »
For me:

WA = 4 years in a row tag soup
ID = 1 afternoon to fill a tag

I'm in the process of deciding whether or not to give WA any more of my money for such limited public access and such cumbersome and ill thought out restrictions. 

There is something just indescribably painful about being stuck behind a prius on the interstate.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal