collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Brilliant  (Read 12736 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Brilliant
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 08:53:11 AM »
I've written to WildThing to have the regulation cited for us. Will update when I get the response.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 09:00:45 AM »
Pman it does say that natural shed is legal.  In no way does it say that the ops pic would be illegal.  Not saying it's not printed elsewhere but what you posted just doesn't say it.

And you're saying a antler trap is natural? 

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 09:03:03 AM »
Pman it does say that natural shed is legal.  In no way does it say that the ops pic would be illegal.  Not saying it's not printed elsewhere but what you posted just doesn't say it.

And you're saying a antler trap is natural?

He's saying there's nothing that says antler traps are illegal, only that collecting natural sheds is legal.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 09:03:21 AM »
It looks like a torture chamber for the chickens.   :chuckle:

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 09:21:17 AM »
http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,112062.0.html

you make a valid point h20hunter but by that logic if a deer's antler gets caught in my fence and I pick up that shed does that mean I'm harassing wildlife?  Technically it wasn't natural and my property caused it.  I understand what Outdoor Guardian was getting at I just feel like that is an interpretation of the law and not a set in stone answer.

Since outdoor guardian is LE for the DFW, I would probably take him at his word on this one. Thanks OG for weighing in. We appreciate the LE perspective on this.

:yeah:

I think what people need to understand is that laws (especially fish and wildlife laws) are different from state to state. I know there are some commercially sold devices which have feed in the center and the deer/elk places their head in the device and the rubber (i believe it is rubber) tubing "catches" the antler and in a way removes the antler from the animal. So I assume in some states it is legal. And while these devices aren't explicitly illegal under state law, the end result is. In order to posess antlers they must have been shed naturally, and creating/placing a device to cause the removal of the antler would not follow that law.

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 09:48:39 AM »
Why not just do this. Feed him till they fall off  :chuckle:

Offline stigalla

• Hunter
  • open wounds are just extra pockets
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 10:31:40 AM »
I wish we had the technology to type in sarcasm... "brilliant" being the sarcastic remark.. Some of you go from 0-60 in a second, id hate to be your doctor.. Anyways this was a wasted post aimed at being funny @ 3Am not starting a riot or causing a heart attack

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 10:40:47 AM »
I wish we had the technology to type in sarcasm... "brilliant" being the sarcastic remark.. Some of you go from 0-60 in a second, id hate to be your doctor.. Anyways this was a wasted post aimed at being funny @ 3Am not starting a riot or causing a heart attack

Well, since your original post seems to back up support for this contraption, I guess that was your intention. I actually don't see anyone going postal, but you certainly were trying for it if this was really sarcasm. I don't think it was.  :dunno:

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 10:48:33 AM »
Bad bad idea!!! :bash:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 10:56:19 AM »

Well, since your original post seems to back up support for this contraption, I guess that was your intention. I actually don't see anyone going postal, but you certainly were trying for it if this was really sarcasm. I don't think it was.  :dunno:

:yeah:

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2014, 11:03:31 AM »

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2014, 11:56:17 AM »
 :chuckle:

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2014, 12:30:48 PM »
Interesting topic.  I see some downside to antler traps, depending on how they are designed.  I have seen other designs that seem relatively benign though.  :dunno:

I think it is a huge stretch to call antler traps illegal under existing state law. Assuming of course you don't have 4 dead elk twisted up in some entanglement  :yike:
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 12:46:46 PM »
Apparently, you didn't read the link. The only "stretch" is yours.

WAC 232-12-287 Possession of dead wildlife. (1) Except as authorized by permit of the director or by subsection (2) of this section, it is unlawful to possess wildlife found dead. This rule does not prohibit the possession of naturally shed antlers of deer, elk, or moose.

(2) An individual may remove and dispose of wildlife found dead on his or her property or an adjoining public roadway. Before removing the wildlife, the individual shall, by telephone, notify the department or the Washington state patrol communications office, and shall provide his or her name, address, telephone number, and the description and location of the wildlife. The individual may remove the wildlife for disposal only, and may not retain the wildlife for personal use or consumption. Other laws and rules may apply to the disposal, including rules of the department of health (WAC 246-203-120). Wildlife removed under this section remain the property of the state.

[Statutory Authority: RCW 77.12.047. 03-16-087 (Order 03-175), § 232-12-287, filed 8/5/03, effective 9/5/03. Statutory Authority: RCW 77.12.040. 95-10-026, § 232-12-287, filed 4/26/95, effective 5/27/95; 81-12-029 (Order 165), § 232-12-287, filed 6/1/81. Formerly WAC 232-12-180.]

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2014, 04:17:46 PM »
Lets separate the wisdom/advisability of setting out antler traps and focus only on the legal aspects...

I read outdoor guardians interpretation...I seriously doubt a citation would get the support of a county prosecutor, much less hold up in court, assuming one did not actually kill wildlife at such a trap.  These traps are commercially available...has WDFW ever had one conviction on antler trapping?  Bottom line, I wouldn't call my interpretation a stretch. 

Also, if WDFW wants to look into citing folks for entangling wildlife...lets talk 4 and 5 strand barbed wire fences!  Will outdoor guardian be out citing every private landowner where they find a deer carcass tangled in a barbed wire fence?  And if we use intent to weed out those folks with miles of barbed wire fence on their property I would love to see that proven in the court room...gee officer, I was merely trying to fence the deer out of my corn pile that I put out for the squirrels!  :chuckle:  WDFW can write tickets until they are blue in the face...probably not going to result in any thing when it comes to an antler trap.  :twocents:
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal