collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Rabbit Stew  (Read 4618 times)

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
Rabbit Stew
« on: December 19, 2014, 03:56:32 PM »
Here is my latest meal using homegrown rabbits

1ea whole rabbit(2lb) obviously it should be skinned and processed  :chuckle:
1/2 tsp black pepper
1ea 16oz diced tomatoes
2 cups beef broth (I use the low sodium)
1/2lb sliced mushrooms
3 slices of deli peppered bacon sliced
2ea carrots chopped
1ea shallot chopped
1 bunch green onions sliced
2 stalks celery chopped
1 bay leaf
1 tsp oregano
1/2 cup flour

sprinkle pepper onto rabbit, place rabbit in crock pot(you may need to cut in half to fit)
combine all other ingredients(except flour)in a bowl and mix together, pour over the rabbit
cook on low for 5.5 hours
at about the 5 hour mark, mix flour with enough water to create a runny paste
this part is preference: the rabbit should be tender enough to remove rabbit from crock pot and tear off all the meat from bones. Put meat back in crock pot
pour the flour paste in crock pot. Continue to cook another half hour

Serve and enjoy. This stew has a good pepper flavor from the pepper bacon. If not a huge pepper fan use normal bacon

Finished product  :drool:

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 04:04:29 PM by Widgeondeke »

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Rabbit Stew
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 04:07:43 PM »
Sounds real good ! I miss having rabbit. Used to have it on a regular basis when i was a kid. Mom owned and ran a rabbit ranch in lake stevens when i was young. Be nice if i could find some at a reasonable price. Don't really have time to deal with them on a home grown basis.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 04:26:12 PM »
Are domestic rabbits safer to eat then wild rabbits?  I have been told wild rabbits can be full of disease and ick....One of the few game animals I have not tried due to the reputation they have. 

I only ask because the stew looks AMAZING!!   I would love to try some but would have to do some with wild rabbit.

jrebel

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 04:45:12 PM »
domestics can be too I see a ton of "is it safe" pictures, most of the bad looking livers come from rabbits that have been on the ground.

mine never touch the dirt

The dangers from eating rabbit are way over blown Jrebel.  Just a little common since and give a good look at the vitals, especially the liver.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 04:53:53 PM by KFhunter »

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 06:36:25 PM »
You are much more likely to catch sonething cleaning it than eating it.  Unless you like bunny sushi....

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 07:32:19 PM »
Thanks guys :tup: :tup:.  I will have to try rabbit stew, it looks delicious. 

Loki....I will pass on the the rabbit sushi.   :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline Atroxus

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 08:51:04 PM »
I have never eaten rabbit, but I bought one a while back and it has been sitting in freezer waiting for me to find a recipe that looked appetizing. Going to try it with this one. Thanks for sharing!  :tup:

Offline HighlandLofts

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: WAC,
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 09:01:55 AM »
There is a girl north of Arlington that raises and  sells rabbits,  different breeds so they range in size. They are reasonable in price. The number to callis 425-471-4616.
I bought a Flemish Giant/New Zealand cross doe to use as a breeder this spring and will be buying another Flemish Gisant/New Zealand doe here shorthly from another breeder then a buck for some one else. I'll have extra for sale late next summer, I like fresh home grown rabbit meat.

I like it baked then added to spaghetti sause, and baked with Shake & Bake for chicken.
Another way I like it is dredge it in egg & milk, coat it with flour, dredge it again in the egg & milk they coat it with chopped up French's French Fried Onions and baked until done.
 Great on chicken as well.
WAC
NRA
Walk Light, Carry A Big Stick, Never Walk Away. - Teddy Roosevelt
Don't Take Your Guns To Town.   Johnny Cash

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 03:51:10 PM »
I usually dredge the quarters in flour, braise them and then place in a slow cooker in broth for three or four hours until they are tender.  Add some onions and red wine simmer for a half hour or so, thicken sauce and serve over egg noodles.

There is a girl north of Arlington that raises and  sells rabbits,  different breeds so they range in size. They are reasonable in price. The number to callis 425-471-4616.
I bought a Flemish Giant/New Zealand cross doe to use as a breeder this spring and will be buying another Flemish Gisant/New Zealand doe here shorthly from another breeder then a buck for some one else. I'll have extra for sale late next summer, I like fresh home grown rabbit meat.

Thanks for the contact info.

Offline HighlandLofts

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 03:40:58 PM »
I usually dredge the quarters in flour, braise them and then place in a slow cooker in broth for three or four hours until they are tender.  Add some onions and red wine simmer for a half hour or so, thicken sauce and serve over egg noodles.

Thanks for the contact info.

Any one else looking for fresh rabbit meat you can ussally find them on Craigs List, go to Farm & Garden, punch in Rabbit and hit the search . I always look in my local area.
WAC
NRA

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 03:45:25 PM »
I list fryers for sale on here a couple times a year. Usually between April-October. My wife is always amazed how many sell thru H-W compared to CL  :chuckle:
Our rabbits are approx. 2-2.5# at 12 weeks after butchering. Our breeds max about 6#, although we just got a new breed this past year that will get to 10.5# and its sole purpose is meat
As stated, rabbits are pretty easy. If they have a snotty nose(quarantine or cull ASAP) or spots on the liver they don't get eaten.
My kids help butcher  :tup:
Gonna make another stew or ??? this coming weekend. Hoping to start making sausage/burger after Christmas: grinder coming from Santa
The backstraps make great "chicken" fingers on the grill  :drool:

@ Loki, there is a breeder on Shaw Island (inter-island ferry or short boat trip). She has  great show animals, but we all know. You only keep the best and eat the rest.

Offline HighlandLofts

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 10:03:09 PM »
I list fryers for sale on here a couple times a year. Usually between April-October. My wife is always amazed how many sell thru H-W compared to CL  :chuckle:
Our rabbits are approx. 2-2.5# at 12 weeks after butchering. Our breeds max about 6#, although we just got a new breed this past year that will get to 10.5# and its sole purpose is meat
As stated, rabbits are pretty easy. If they have a snotty nose(quarantine or cull ASAP) or spots on the liver they don't get eaten.
My kids help butcher  :tup:
Gonna make another stew or ??? this coming weekend. Hoping to start making sausage/burger after Christmas: grinder coming from Santa
The backstraps make great "chicken" fingers on the grill  :drool:

@ Loki, there is a breeder on Shaw Island (inter-island ferry or short boat trip). She has  great show animals, but we all know. You only keep the best and eat the rest.

In the racing pigeons the saying is, Fly em,or fry em. 
WAC
NRA

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 11:27:31 PM »
We've done the 4-H show bunnies, it's all eaters from here on out.   :drool:

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 07:27:08 PM »
My son is making a rabbit stew from 2 we took out of our garden earlier this year.  I will post results of the final product. 

Offline XAFSSGT

• The Nice Guy from HR
  • Past Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Wannabe Bowhunter with an MBA
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 08:28:02 AM »
This recipe looks great, I purchased a couple of whole rabbits from Stewart's on Saturday, and I'll be having this for my birthday on Saturday.  Thanks for the awesome recipe!
-Darrell

“We need the iron qualities that go with true manhood. We need the positive virtues of resolution, of courage, of indomitable will, of power to do without shirking the rough work which must always be done.” ~Theodore Roosevelt

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal