collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Finished the 260 pistol project!  (Read 5410 times)

Offline yorketransport

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
Finished the 260 pistol project!
« on: December 21, 2014, 06:13:59 PM »
I've been talking about building this gun for a while and I finally got around to doing it. The goal was to build a bolt action Specialty Pistol (SP) to compete in rifle matches which would require fast follow up shots. Accuracy with the pistols is never an issue; they shoot as well as any rifle. Follow up shots are a little slower though because I run most of them as single shots. The idea was to build an SP which could run a 5 or 10 round box mag to make for quicker follow ups and reloads.

Here are the specs:
- Savage Left hand action
- 19" McGowen Varmint contour 1-8" twist 260 Rem barrel
- McRee Precision stock
- MDT polymer AI compatible magazine
- Killer Innovations muzzle brake
- Sightron S III 8-32x56 LRMOA scope

Total cost to build was about $800 without the scope.

The reason for the left hand action is so that I can cycle the bolt without removing my shooting hand from the grip. Somebody asked me to try the polymer magazine so I picked one up. For less than half the cost of an Accurate mags of AI mag I think it works pretty well. I did need to sand down the corners a little so that it fit into the stock a little better though.

I took it out today and test fired it a few times to see how well the brake works. I don't typically like muzzle brakes and this caliber doesn't really need one. The problem with these guns though is that the muzzle jumps quite a bit when shooting off of a bipod, making it hard to stay on target. I installed one of the Killer Innovations brakes on both this 260 pistol and my beloved 284 Win Striker. I've only fired 5 shots out of the 260  and 3 shots from the 284 so far to test them. The results are very impressive so far. The bipods hardly leave the ground at all. I may actually be able to spot my own hits as close as 150-200 yards with the brakes on there. :tup:

It will be a few weeks before I get out to work up a load and really stretch it out a bit. I'll try and get some video with and with out the brake to give an idea of how the gun handles.

Andrew

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
Re: Finished the 260 pistol project!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 06:33:56 PM »
Yorke

Sweet pistol-rifle thing?

I knew it would be a good match when you said you were going to put the brake on a pistol.

I would love to get my hands on that mag for a few minutes...... :)

Offline yorketransport

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 06:56:42 PM »
Yorke

Sweet pistol-rifle thing?

I knew it would be a good match when you said you were going to put the brake on a pistol.

I would love to get my hands on that mag for a few minutes...... :)

This one is technically a rifle, but I think you just came up with a new designation for it. I'm going to start calling these PRTs (Pistol-Rifle Thing). :tup:

The brake works better than I expected. I've shot Mag-na-Ports, Vias, Muscle Brakes, DE brakes, arrow head 50BMG style brakes, and Holland brakes on handguns before, but this is one of the best for mid sized calibers. Other than the Vias brake, the others aren't as effective at reducing the muzzle jump. The Vias just kicks up so much debris that I don't run them on the pistols any more.

I really didn't know what to expect from the polymer mag but I think it will work just fine. It seems pretty solid for under $40. They do limit the OAL to 2.800" or less though.

Andrew
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 08:47:21 PM by yorketransport »

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 07:02:03 PM »
Very cool Andrew.........
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 07:14:08 PM »
That thing is too cool.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 07:24:32 PM »
Nice setup, I want one!

Offline Cap.Silver

• My love is the outdoors
  • Sourdough
  • If not fishing then hunting
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 07:25:51 PM »
AWWWWW so cooooooooollll ,except it has bolt on the wrong side  :chuckle: I'm righty  :tup:
Everyone thinks that I'm freak ,I don't look different do I ?

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 07:28:25 PM »
AWWWWW so cooooooooollll ,except it has bolt on the wrong side  :chuckle: I'm righty  :tup:

Actually it's perfect for a RH shooter  :)

Offline yorketransport

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 07:40:15 PM »

If you think about it, a left bolt is perfect for right handed shooters. When you shoot one of these pistols, your left hand doesn't hold the grip. It's used to adjust elevation in the rear rest or give just a little support to the right hand. This means that after the shot your right hand gets to stay on the grip without changing your hold. Your left hand is free to work the bolt and cycle in another round. It's incredibly fast once you get it down. Follow up shots are faster than anyone can do in a similar setup with a right hand bolt.

Nice setup, I want one!
There's a left hand 243 on the used rack down at Cabelas right now. It's the perfect donor action! The stock was on my door step within 4 days and barrels are cheap and easy to find if you look in the right places. You could be shooting yours within 2 weeks. :tup:

Andrew

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 07:45:42 PM »

If you think about it, a left bolt is perfect for right handed shooters. When you shoot one of these pistols, your left hand doesn't hold the grip. It's used to adjust elevation in the rear rest or give just a little support to the right hand. This means that after the shot your right hand gets to stay on the grip without changing your hold. Your left hand is free to work the bolt and cycle in another round. It's incredibly fast once you get it down. Follow up shots are faster than anyone can do in a similar setup with a right hand bolt.

Nice setup, I want one!
There's a left hand 243 on the used rack down at Cabelas right now. It's the perfect donor action! The stock was on my door step within 4 days and barrels are cheap and easy to find if you look in the right places. You could be shooting yours within 2 weeks. :tup:

Andrew

So how would a rig like this be on someone who is right handed, but has a really bad right shoulder?

Offline Cap.Silver

• My love is the outdoors
  • Sourdough
  • If not fishing then hunting
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 07:59:54 PM »

If you think about it, a left bolt is perfect for right handed shooters.

Now I see your point .....and you're right .... It may be cumbersome at first ,but the truth is you wouldn't have to take the right hand of the stock . I would love to try to shoot one ...... good job Andrew 
Everyone thinks that I'm freak ,I don't look different do I ?

Offline yorketransport

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 08:19:29 PM »

So how would a rig like this be on someone who is right handed, but has a really bad right shoulder?

If you can shoot a 45 acp, you can shoot this with no problem. The bigger calibers (WSM and up) can beat you up pretty quick. You feel it in your shoulder after a few shots.

The best way to test it is to try it! :tup:

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 08:25:38 PM »
That thing is ba!
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 09:34:28 PM »
I like it .....  :tup:

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 09:57:49 PM »
Looks like a nice build. What did it come it as far as weight?
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal