collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: ELK Bowhunting Dates 2015??  (Read 23756 times)

Offline GregE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
    • Sage Creek Forums
Re: ELK Bowhunting Dates 2015??
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2014, 11:23:34 AM »
Loki, good reminder -  that would be the forecast I'm seeking.  Forgot it rolls over this year
Keep 'em Straight!!! (and quiet)

Greg

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2014, 11:41:24 AM »
I expect the 8th-20th will be the season, really doubt they would allow Archery to hunt any portion of the last week of September.
Special permit, maybe...
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2014, 12:05:32 PM »
If it's sept 12 thru 24, I would expect a lot more westside archery hunters in the woods.  And mabey better odds on quality tags with different weapons, you can't beat those dates for an over the counter tag.  IF I don't draw muti elk and those dates are true, I will be ghost pointing my permits to hunt archery!! 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2014, 02:13:57 PM »
If it's sept 12 thru 24, I would expect a lot more westside archery hunters in the woods.  And mabey better odds on quality tags with different weapons, you can't beat those dates for an over the counter tag.  IF I don't draw muti elk and those dates are true, I will be ghost pointing my permits to hunt archery!!

If you can't find and kill elk in early September (current dates) the the later hunt isn't going to be some guaranteed tag.  Id say it wouldn't increase your chances at all.  Not starting the season after Labor Day might help with non hunting pressure.  But if sept 2nd this year you weren't in elk, the 12 th or the 8th aren't gonna help. 

Offline bowhiker

• Hunter
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2014, 06:09:21 PM »
The later in sept it opens the better chance of a weather front moving in to cool things off. This past season was a perfect example. Temps in the 90's are tough to hunt in. Regardless though, I'll still be out there.

Offline dr.derek

• Heart shot hunter
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2014, 06:17:38 PM »

If you can't find and kill elk in early September (current dates) the the later hunt isn't going to be some guaranteed tag.  Id say it wouldn't increase your chances at all.  Not starting the season after Labor Day might help with non hunting pressure.  But if sept 2nd this year you weren't in elk, the 12 th or the 8th aren't gonna help.

couldnt of said it better. i have been in elk in 90' weather, But the later season sure will make me less nervous about getting one down miles behind a locked gate.
bucks ducks trucks  . . . and bulls.

Offline erk444

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2014, 06:26:57 PM »
Is there an elk behind you in that pic?

Offline bowhiker

• Hunter
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2014, 09:39:46 PM »
I agree it's not about finding elk when it's hot, but more about less people in the woods, caring for game in extreme temps. However, I have noticed elk being more active in cooler weather. For me it's more of a like to have not a need to have the season later. I'll be there sweatin or sniveling cold, it's elk season!

Offline Nice Racks

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: McChord AFB Archery Club
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2014, 12:24:26 PM »
I for one would love to hunt the prime time rut, but think that's what a special permit is for. The 8 September opening date is OK for me. I dont mind sharing the woods with other hunters; afterall it is public land where I hunt, but if the season doesn't start untill the 12th, I'm afraid there will be just way too many archers out. This thread is proof of that.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2014, 12:39:28 PM »
 :yeah:
I for one would love to hunt the prime time rut, but think that's what a special permit is for. The 8 September opening date is OK for me. I dont mind sharing the woods with other hunters; afterall it is public land where I hunt, but if the season doesn't start untill the 12th, I'm afraid there will be just way too many archers out. This thread is proof of that.
:yeah: 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Fullabull

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2014, 09:56:35 PM »
I for one would love to see the season start the first Saturday after labor day. There are lots of hunters out there that are not able to scout, hike back in for miles, stay out for more than a weekend but can call and get elk to respond in heavy hunted areas, call in elk that others can't and are willing to stay out all day. But these hunters require elk to be in a slightly more vulnerable state. I understand that many younger hunters are very capable and willing to go where many will not but there are many who would love to do the same but just can't. Keeping the season as it is only benefits those hunters capable of going above and beyond what the majority of hunters cannot. Changing the season will not hurt the young hard hunters chances, in fact it will probably increase their opportunity by driving more elk further back where they hunt. But it will also allow better opportunity for good hunters to use their skills to be more successful in pressured areas.

Offline BABackcountryBwhntr

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA,CCA,RMEF,WSA,NFAA....
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2014, 12:35:33 PM »
sure hope they move muzzy earlier and open a some additional units. The archery guys have done a great job at presenting a unified front and it sounds like they will benefit.  Might just consider making the change.

earlier? you guys get the rut almost every year.. the first week of oct is awesome hunting for elk...

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2014, 12:56:09 PM »

I'm thinking the 5th, 6th or 7th for opening day.   :dunno:

They won't open the season on Labor Day weekend, so those dates arue out. If they kept it the same as it has been, opening the day after Labor Day, then it would open on the 8th.

But it sounds to me like they're finally giving in to the people whining for a later season, and I'm betting on a September 12th opening day.
whining huh?

Offline tonymiller7

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2014, 10:57:40 AM »
I thought I had heard they were going back to a set season of the 8th through the 20th.   :dunno:

Offline bigbeamhunter

• Scout
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2014, 11:02:03 PM »
The only reason they should change dates is because of the heat and fire danger. Not to make it easier I've never had a problem with the season. If it's hard hunt harder call better. Although I like elk screamin all around me.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal