collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dog heading out for first pheasant/quail hunt  (Read 5343 times)

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
Dog heading out for first pheasant/quail hunt
« on: December 27, 2014, 11:00:48 AM »
I'm heading east tomorrow to hunt for a few days. We will be mostly hunting quail and hoping to find a pheasant or two. Here is my question. My dog is a seasoned duck dog but has never hunted upland birds before. She has gotten into the rare covey of quail or escapee from a release site over here on the west side, and gets very birdy when we find them, but has never actively hunted them.

The biggest issue I know we will have is her busting birds asap because she has no training to hold on birds.

Any of you with more experience have any insite as to what my biggest issues with her may be, and what I should focus on to keep her on track? I know this is a very broad based question because every dog is different, but I thought there might be some common issues with duck dogs hunting upland. Thanks!
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Dog heading out for first pheasant/quail hunt
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 11:44:01 AM »
Seasoned Duck dog? Retriever variety or versatile dog such as a wirehair?

Offline hollymaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 11:49:11 AM »
Keep close and work as a flushing dog.  :dunno:

Offline jackson7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 12:01:15 PM »
when she gets birdy, just stay with her. Birds may be busted, however there is a good chance you would have walked right by and not seen them anyway..  Even if busted quail may fly in any direction especially along strips of cover..Once busted watch where they go. Depending on the terrain, good chance you can hunt singles. Go slow and stop intermittently. They will flush.
goodluck

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 04:32:36 PM »
She is a lab, very birdy, has a great nose. Generally speaking she stays close anyway but once the birds start flying, all bets are off I think. I will plan on just keeping her close and staying vocal to keep her on task.

Offline Ruger

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 06:18:53 PM »
Where you going out east?

Labs are natural flushing dogs and usually quarter pretty well on their own.  This snow should help because so far birds have been flushing out 50yds plus away alot of times. 

So really trust the dog and if you know how he acts when birdy you should do just fine...

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 07:16:35 PM »
The birds have ears,the best method is the silent unless you have to method,let her key in on your posture and direction,most labs aren't going to run off to the horizon,they aren't bred for that independance.They won't hold birds either,it's your job to keep up once they get hot on the trail,if the bird is a runner that is smart you won't have a snowballs chance in heck at getting it unless there is a blocker at the other end.Lipsqueaking and low whistle between the lips will serve better than talking.

She is a lab, very birdy, has a great nose. Generally speaking she stays close anyway but once the birds start flying, all bets are off I think. I will plan on just keeping her close and staying vocal to keep her on task.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 06:17:21 PM »
Just got home and the dog is passed out in front of the fire. She worked her tail off the last couple days and did exceedingly well. The first afternoon we got into a small covey and managed to break them into a couple singles that she could work on in the brush. They held very well and she was able to get excited trying to flush them out. That evening we got on a big covey and broke them up well and she pointed and held 6 or 7 different times. She did fantastic, couldn't have been happier. Last night she did well but hunting with a buddy and his dog, she was pretty submissive and just kind of followed everyone around. She did put up a few birds of her own and definitely carried her weight. This morning she was so tired/sore that we hunting early with and she really followed the lead of the other dog again, which may have been good, I think she was getting the hint that she needed to be in the thick of it to get it done. All in all, I am very pleased with how she performed. A little bit more experience and I think she would be a stellar quail/pheasant dog.

Here is one photo of the only rooster we put up, shot him this morning.

Offline jackson7

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 06:36:01 PM »
fantastic. glad it worked out for you

Offline TVHunts

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA-RSO,RMEF,DU, Marysville Rifle Club
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 08:07:50 PM »
Nice rooster, glad you got on birds and got her one. 
Another xtra tuff Hunter, I wear them about 50% of the time pheasant hunting.  They are surprisingly comfortable for hiking as long as your not on rock.
Did you get in any foot races on pheasant? I love when a lab gets hot and the race is on.  Wish I was 20 years younger when that happens.  Headed over Thursday for 4 days myself.
MAGA

Hey Slobbering JOE,

STOP the freaking INVASION

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 07:15:27 AM »
You are right TVhunts, Xtratuffs are about as comfy as they get on flat ground. I am an xtratuff blacktail hunter too, very hard to beat!

That rooster was the only pheasant we knowingly got on and my buddies dog went bananas when it caught the scent. It covered about 40 yards in a heartbeat and finally flushed it right in front of me. Was a lot of fun for sure. Its been a few years since I've been over to hunt with them and the pheasant population in their area has plummeted, glad there are still lots of quail around.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 08:07:58 AM »
This time of year you need to be capable of running and keeping up with the dog. That's one of the reasons I don't hunt pheasants anymore. There's no way I could run up those hills like I used to. Quail I could probably handle, but with my dog now blind, I won't be doing that anytime soon.

Offline TVHunts

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA-RSO,RMEF,DU, Marysville Rifle Club
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 07:16:27 PM »
You are right TVhunts, Xtratuffs are about as comfy as they get on flat ground. I am an xtratuff blacktail hunter too, very hard to beat!

That rooster was the only pheasant we knowingly got on and my buddies dog went bananas when it caught the scent. It covered about 40 yards in a heartbeat and finally flushed it right in front of me. Was a lot of fun for sure. Its been a few years since I've been over to hunt with them and the pheasant population in their area has plummeted, glad there are still lots of quail around.

I hear you.  Not sure where you were On this hunt but it has been the best numbers I have seen in a long time around Moses lake and Othello area.  Not anything like 15 or 20 years ago I guess but,  pretty darn good compared to the last several years.  I actually witnessed 12 roosters flush from the same spot, maybe 50 yd sq area about a month ago. I was opening a darn gate when it happened.  I was bummed but managed to scratch one on that hill after the eruption. 
Good call on using them for deer hunting boots, never used them for that but they will be in my truck next season for sure.
Sounds like your girl has it figured out with the birds.  It's a blast when a dog puts it all together. Best of luck next trip.  TV

MAGA

Hey Slobbering JOE,

STOP the freaking INVASION

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 10:20:34 AM »
Great picture and a beautiful rooster. Should make a great memory for sure. Congrats on a great hunt and getting your dog out to see what it is all about  :tup:.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 10:34:19 AM »
Priceless ..I need to get my dog on some wild birds this year  :tup: :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal