collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Is it just me? DNR land question  (Read 6643 times)

Offline steeliedrew

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Is it just me? DNR land question
« on: December 31, 2014, 03:18:42 PM »
This morning I decided to ride the mountain bike back into a secluded cut on some DNR land in the 407.  My plan was to still hunt the edge of the cut hoping to catch something coming out to sun itself after a night down in the 20's. I had scouted this area once 3 years ago and i must have thought it looked good back then and just kind of had a good feeling about it today.

What I noticed when I got back there was that everything is thicker than dog snot and just how sloppy the cut itself is. The cut is way overgrown, and Alder choked with trees laying all over the place around the tree line like dead fall making it almost impossible to penetrate the timber without breaking a leg if you slip between the logs.  It was like the whole area is one big slash pile. Looking back on a lot of the other DNR lands I've hunted in 407, 448, and 460 cuts like this have been the trend.

Just last week I spent 3 days hunting a small chunk of Port Blakely land in another unit and was amazed at how clean their cuts and the surrounding timbers are.  Consequently I got on 17 deer plus bumped one that I didn't see to make it an even 18 deer in 3 days. Only had one in range for a second before getting busted. All the rest busted me from further out. 

So to sum up this rant, it seems to me that Port Blakely and Weyco lands from what I've seen are cared for differently than DNR lands and thus, possibly easier to hunt?  Anybody else notice DNR lands being pretty choked out in certain units or areas? Or maybe it's just me like the thread title asks?

The simple answer is to stop whining, scout better throughout the year and find some lands that I want to hunt and get dialed in or maybe purchase a Weyco or Hancock permit next year, but I'm really more of a mule deer guy anyhow.  I've mostly only pursued blacktail as late season is coming to an end. 
Every thought of my being is in regards to being a high tech predator and I relish the role.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
Re: Is it just me? DNR land question
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 04:22:20 PM »
We could and Hancock strictly manages their land for timber/sales. To the DNR, the timber is just part of the package. Hence, the private timber company land dresses up their land for future board feet, while the DNR gets their quota for the year and moves on. :twocents:

Offline Firedogg

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 04:43:31 PM »
Shoot, you haven't spent much time wandering the Hancock reprod with all the slash undr the ferns and brush waiting to take out your ankles.  And some of the roughest area I've been in was Port Blakely property between Riffe Lake and the Green River that was almost impossible to pass through because of their thinning practices. Weyerhauser land in the Winston unit with blow downs on the edges of clear cuts stacked higher than I could climb, yet I watched blacktails get on there knees to go under, so I followed suit to never see them again.

Find an area to your liking. All land holders have properties that are rough, thick, and full of downed wood that wants to break a leg. either that or buy a large section or two to maintain the way you like it.

There is no greater respect to have for wildlife than to harvest an animal fairly and use it's flesh to feed your family.  ~me

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 05:07:04 PM »
460?
I've made a fairly solid effort at trying to hunt some DNR land in 460 and absolutely hate it. Not to sound like a whiner, but I feel fortunate when I don't break my leg in that crap.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline steeliedrew

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 05:21:07 PM »
460?
I've made a fairly solid effort at trying to hunt some DNR land in 460 and absolutely hate it. Not to sound like a whiner, but I feel fortunate when I don't break my leg in that crap.

460, 448, and 407.  Haha. Just DNR land in general.
Every thought of my being is in regards to being a high tech predator and I relish the role.

Offline Firedogg

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 06:52:07 PM »
You would think DNR would have a better cleanup clause in their contract.
There is no greater respect to have for wildlife than to harvest an animal fairly and use it's flesh to feed your family.  ~me

Offline HornHoarder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 07:02:34 PM »
I've heard that is there new way of doing things. Just scatter all the debris across the ground, instead of piling/burning it.

Offline addicted2hunting

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NAVHDA, HRC.
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 07:03:14 PM »
yup DNR is all about production, cut, stack, go. good thing its not eastern Washington or it would be one hell of a fire!
"real dogs have beards"

Offline HornHoarder

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 07:08:00 PM »
I'm in eastern Wa. near Spokane, and they are doing that here as well. I've seen several parcels of DNR land post logging, and what a mess.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 07:14:25 PM »

I've heard that is there new way of doing things. Just scatter all the debris across the ground, instead of piling/burning it.
:yeah:
I heard that too, so it would better simulate a forest and let the soil build up and filter water.

Offline dreamunelk

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 07:19:34 PM »
More structure equals more diversity equals more wildlife.  If it is nice and clean and easy to walk through it is not good for wildlife in the long term.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 07:49:01 PM »
More structure equals more diversity equals more wildlife.  If it is nice and clean and easy to walk through it is not good for wildlife in the long term.

Not really, imo.  Brush/branches/deadfall doesn't necessarily mean more diversity, especially when all that is replanted is doug fir and herbicides are sprayed on everything.  However, the newer ideas of "reforestation" include leaving the dead (future decomposing) material scattered where it falls so the nutrients are available over the whole area not just in concentrated piles.  Unfortunately, for us hunters, it makes moving through these areas much more difficult.  I loved hunting the coastal BLM lands in Oregon back in the burning days of the 80's, you could cover a lot of ground relatively quietly.  And, when it came to dragging something out, you didn't need a forklift or helicopter.

Offline steeliedrew

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 08:57:28 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. Keep em coming. I will agree that I have seen some nasty stuff on Weyco and port Blakely land but find way more good than bad on their lands. I see about 3/4's more sign on their lands also compared to DNR it seems.

Offline logger

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 09:02:44 PM »
As one who has to deal with the slash it drives me bat crap crazy to scatter it around or pile it and then they half ass burn it. I say go back to slash burns and stop spraying! Not that many years ago campbell group would go in after we logged and seed the skid trails and exposed soil with a mix that was for the deer and elk, worked great!
go ahead on er.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, 11:00:57 PM »
Thank you spotted owl. You have ruined everything imo.

Not sure you can blame anything where the trees are actually cut on the Spotted Owls...?   :chuckle:

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal