collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Need Help Fast  (Read 12161 times)

Offline sakoshooter

• WFW Board of Directors
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Life Memberr NRA, Life Member Sumner Sportsmans Association
Need Help Fast
« on: January 02, 2015, 09:30:03 PM »
Alright guys and girls. I(we) need help educating our fellow waterfowl hunters. Yes, that means your buddies and others you bump into and talk duck hunting.
Today at Nisqually, (my 3rd time out there this season and 3rd bad experience this season),
I ended up in my secondary spot because another group was in my primary spot. No problem. Turns out another group moved in on this first group and set up after I had set up across the river. Not really enough room for both of them but this is part of why we need to educate these folks in a hurry before it becomes the norm. They were about 100 yds apart.
After speaking with the closer group to me I found out that there was even another group in this mix. 3 groups of duck hunters within a 250 yd stretch on the same side of the river. One large group in one boat that dropped off 3 hunters on one side of the original group and the group that stayed in the boat set up on the other side of them. Sandwiching the original group pretty tightly.
I set up about 300 yds from the original group and on the other side of the river. Plenty of room but I didn't know about the other two groups yet.
About 10 am another group of 3 in a duck blind boat motored just past my boat and set up directly across the river from one of the afore mentioned groups and about 100 yds from me. I tried talking to them from the river bank but they refused to respond. I then motored my boat over to them and tried to have an inteligent conversation with them.............no go. The loud mouth of this group only spoke in 4 letter words so I left to speak to the group directly across the river. They were screwed by this new group so they were going to leave.
Counting the other two groups of hunters adequately set up down from me there were 7(yes seven) different groups of duck hunter within a 500 yd stretch of the river. 3 of these groups came late and squeezed in between all of us and from talkng to some of them, they think they have all the right in the world to do this.
And to top it all off, they shot as a group at buffleheads as they flew by all morning spooking all the bigger ducks that tried to come into my spread. I finally conceded as it was a losing battle and went home.
Folks, it didn't use to be this way. I've been hunting the Nisqually Delta for close to 30 years now and I've seen a lot of changes but the changes I'm seeing lately are appaulling. These slob hunters have "0" ethics and can even be dangerous to other hunters around them.
Between the loudmouth group leaders F bombs, I mentioned that he needed to learn some ethics but I'm sure it fell of deaf ears at that point.
I'm just blowing off steam here and probably preaching to the choir to some extent but folks, we've got to educate these people or we're going to have to put up with this every time we go out. Any ideas on how we can do this before it's too late??? Your comments are very much welcome.
Rhinelander, WI
Home of the Hodag

Offline Pnwrider

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
Re: Need Help Fast
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 09:39:29 PM »
Sounds about right for public land hunting. Even with a boat, it seems like you have to be out there by 2am to get "your spot". I've started focusing on areas where no one else can setup that close next to me. Obviously you can't fix stupid based on your example. There were A LOT of people out today. I'm taking a first time hunter out tomorrow and will be sure to focus on etiquette. Good luck this weekend!

Offline Stickerbush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 09:51:41 PM »
Sounds like a nightmare, what would you say is acceptable distance in these circumstances?
Coastal Perspective.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 09:52:21 PM »
I'm sorry this happened to you... but YES, it has ALWAYS been this way.   :(

I quit duck hunting for a few years back in the 80's for similar reasons.

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 09:59:03 PM »
Getting out first any more doesn't get you much . Like you said they just crowd in or set up in your flight patterns shooting ducks coming into your set.
Everyone for themselves no consideration for anyone else.

Not sure what can be done. Talking doesn't work much.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline moocher97

• Scout
  • Keep hammering
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 10:31:47 AM »
Thanks Obama!! no in all reality though public land sucks. its almost you have to get in a boat and go 10 miles into some back water channel to get some shooting in these days!!!! :bash:
Thin red line

NOT SELECTED, NOT SELECTED, NOT SELECTED, NOT SELECTED, NOT SELECTED NOT SELECTED

Offline splitshot

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 10:38:16 AM »
  I will say it again , too many people.  overpopulation.   mike w

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 11:25:47 AM »
  I will say it agafin , too many people.  overpopulation.   mike w

:yeah:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline NW-GSP

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 11:35:29 AM »
  I will say it agafin , too many people.  overpopulation.   mike w

:yeah:

also too much public land that we are not allowed to hunt.

Offline Eastmont

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: eastmont
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 01:44:19 PM »
Last year around this time me and my buddies were in the same situation. There was a group about 100 yards below us and about 100 yards above us. Luckily we had an awesome spread and knew what we were doing. we ended up with three limits of ducks while the group below us shot only five times and the group above us less than that.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 01:50:43 PM »
Last year around this time me and my buddies were in the same situation. There was a group about 100 yards below us and about 100 yards above us. Luckily we had an awesome spread and knew what we were doing. we ended up with three limits of ducks while the group below us shot only five times and the group above us less than that.

You were lucky they weren't just skyblasting at everything looking at your spread.  It is tough hunting public areas, you just have to get creative in finding locations with birds that are huntable. 

Fortunately, every once in a while a decent group will set up nearby and honor your calling and birds coming in, just be sure to do the same for them.  I did have a great shoot one day in a public marsh with another group relatively close by.  They even had their dog fetch one of my birds that locked up and ended up closer to them.

Offline metlhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 09:24:22 PM »
Maybe the users of the area could have a large sign made and posted at the ramp with both courtesy suggestions and actual laws governing regulated hunting, phone numbers for violations, and contacts. There would be little excuse for violation. If a serious altercation happens, we will probably end up with limited entry to the area or permanent blind locations.

Offline orangeradish

• Pilgrim
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 11:19:48 PM »
I don't post here much, but I'm going to chime in on this one.  I have hunted a few seasons with rifle, and bow.  I have also done a ton of fishing all over the state.  This is my first season hunting ducks. I have seen plenty of bad/illegal behavior in the field fishing and big game hunting, but I have never seen such blatant disregard for good sportsmanship as what I've run into since I started duck hunting this season. 

I have gotten out around 30 days this season so far.  I have been having the time of my life hanging out with some of the greatest friends I have ever had.  They are also new to this.  We practiced our calls leading up to the season, shot a bunch of clays, memorized the regs, joined WWA, passed our goose ID test and worked on duck ID, done a ton of scouting both behind the keyboard and behind the wheel, watched weather and tides, prepped gear, blinds and boats endlessly, woke up before 4am more times than I can count, and burned a tanker worth of gas.  All on our own.  Save for one trip, it's just been us.  No guru to show us the ropes. 

The reward for our hard work has been the feeling that we are learning and getting better on every trip, we have seen a bunch of sunrises in cool places, and sometimes, we even get a chance to take some ducks home.  I have never enjoyed a sporting activity as much as this.  Ever. 

We've also had shot landing near us, seen people shooting under power, shooting before and after legal light, been walked in on, had guys set up with no decoys 100yds upwind of our spread, had a boat run around in front of our decoys for an hour shooting at everything that moves blowing 1000+ birds out of the bay and STAYING there even after I yelled at them for shooting at us, guys that think that buying an aftermarket choke means they can drop birds at 100yds, litter, birds shot with no chance or effort of recovery, etc.  Guys who's gear tells me that they have years of experience.  If we can manage to avoid being "that guy" with the bad/illegal behavior in our first season, I have a hard time believing that the majority of the bad actors don't know exactly what they are doing.  It's been getting worse in the last month. 

Every week is a series of phone calls and planning.  The excitement builds as the weekend approaches.  The truck ride out is full of hope.  Sometimes, we do well.  Sometimes not.  But we always learn, and appreciate how lucky we are for the opportunity to do this.  But if you are someone who cares about waterfowling and everything that goes along with it, you would have been concerned with the mood and talk in my truck this morning.  We feel pretty defeated, and just went through the motions today.  Kind of a "what's the point" vibe. 

I say you should be concerned because we are the future of duck hunting.  Not because we are special, but because we are the ones who will be fighting for habitat, gun and hunting rights, and bringing up our kids to appreciate things like this in the next few decades.  I don't want anyone to be concerned for us as a few guys out for the weekend, but for the future of this sport for everyone.  I'd wager that we aren't the only guys rolling around with shiny new shotguns who feel this way.  I tend to be a "get involved" kind of guy, so if you more experienced guys have any thoughts on this, I'm listening.

Thanks for reading,
Jason

Offline Mumbles

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 11:30:55 PM »
I was with orangeradish and constructeur this weekend. Great guys to spend time with. Disappointing that our effort found us doing it right and getting stomped all over. We were not on the Nisqually, but our outing was much lIke yours. I'm no spring chicken, taking this up with a grey beard, the number of *censored*s seems to dominate those doing it right, respectful and safely.

Offline youngblood

• Pilgrim
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 03:04:05 AM »
So much to say.

Backstory: My name is irrelevant but for the record I am a lot of things in life. To start the list, I'm 23, an Oregonian, an Eagle Scout, a Sergeant in the U.S Army, a helicopter technician, an outdoor enthusiast and a amateur hunter.

I started hunting waterfowl about four years ago, and just this year I tried deer in the form of archery. I am in all realities an infant in regards to hunting. I have absolutely no doubt I can survive in the wild and am at comfort in the woods. However I have come to learn one fact about pursuing wild game. If you think you have it handled, you're wrong. Luckily, I have grounded and invested a large majority of my time and money into hunting. So I have learned so much invaluable knowledge over the past few years, primarily from others and then of course thru trial and error. My point being that I am fortunate. I am fortunate to know people heavily rooted in the pursuit. That have fostered, nurtured, and educated me along the way. Sako has a phenomenal point, one that I agree on. Artisans, master of their crafts. There is hundreds of them compared to the thousands of journeyman hunters in this world, I personally feel that artisans can do more in this community. I've hunted the sound once this year. I paddled out in a kayak mind you at 445am and didn't paddle out until noon. How many times did I pull my trigger? Once. Because the voice of those who have taught me the ways play in my head constantly. "Mind the wind, make sure your decoys are moving, quit moving, check your backdrop, don't pull up until they're in range, etc. etc. etc." Granted not everyone has the ability to learn from friends and family and there is always going to be an *censored* or two. That doesn't mean that all of us new guys are bad.

My point being, I am a novice. I am respectable and willing to learn. I am for the most  part trying to learn as much as I can. Some of us have not had the blessed opportunities of having someone teach us as children how to do things. I feel that we could benefit so much from forming a hunting foundation off education. A open seat forum like we have here should be utilized so much more! You have knowledge and a majority of us are willing to learn! So like Sako said, please get more involved. For the sake of us new guys trying to break into the sport! I know I'd appreciate it, and I know others who would too!

After all, you can't beat a puppy for peeing on your carpet. Until you've taught him different.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]