collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Whats Your Arrow Setup?  (Read 42369 times)

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
Re: Whats Your Arrow Setup?
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2015, 08:42:07 PM »
Rav  honestly I believe some fourty pound  bows shouldn't be used on elk . No o fence  to woman and children of course.
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2015, 10:27:45 PM »
Rav  honestly I believe some fourty pound  bows shouldn't be used on elk . No o fence  to woman and children of course.

The 40# rule for elk should be raised, I agree.  Oregon it is 40 for deer and bear 50 for elk, or at least it was when I started.  I think that is a pretty good rule even though there is a huge difference between a 45# modern bow and a 45# longbow at a woman and youth draw length.  You would think there would be some common sense assumed by hunters. But it's hard to regulate stupid no matter how many laws you pass! 
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline Piscatory_5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2015, 09:07:57 PM »
I'm a bit cheap, or thrifty  :chuckle:, anyway, Easton Carbon Aftermath 340 with blazers or 3 inch feathers and 125g Slick Trick magnums or 125g Magnus Stinger. Other options is DCA Hunter 350 shafts with the other stuff the same, makes for a lighter finished product.

Offline goody31

• Tracker
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2015, 09:48:34 PM »
I'm shooting Beaman MFX 340's with blazers, and Crimson Venom Viper 125 grain broadheads. I just wish I could get my hands on some more on those broadheads.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2015, 10:40:16 PM »
I'm shooting Beaman MFX 340's with blazers, and Crimson Venom Viper 125 grain broadheads. I just wish I could get my hands on some more on those broadheads.

Might want to show those to a gamie before you use them in Washington state :o

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2015, 07:57:44 AM »
Gold Tip HT Hunters 7595's, Muzzy 100gr 4 blade broad heads, Blazer vanes and Nockturnal lighted nocks,  complete pass through on last 3 deer in pass 3 years.  This year was a little strange though.  I hit just behind the should nicking the shoulder blade with one of the broad head blades which that deflected in into a rib taking that out and causing the arrow to almost a 90 degree turn exiting out just in front the back hip on the other side.  Probably going to with 125 gr broad heads for this year.
So I use this setup on my Bowtech Destoyer 340 a 63lbs draw and draw length 29" for now.  I just got a Hoyt Turbotec 80lb draw and 30" draw length.  Now if I turn down the bow poundage to 70lbs I will be right at the state limit with 125gr broad heads.  Weight of my arrows with 125gr heads is 436gr.  What would you all recommend if I want to keep the bow at 80lbs?  At that legal weight would be 480gr.  I thought about going to the Gold Tip Kinetic line but I really like my Hunters.
Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2015, 08:51:34 AM »

:yeah:
I would call that "barbed" and definitely not smooth back to the shaft.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline goody31

• Tracker
« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2015, 02:58:27 PM »

:yeah:
I would call that "barbed" and definitely not smooth back to the shaft.

The gamie in Bumping and from twisp area didn't think they were barbed when they checked me.  I just like the way they cut thru deer.  I would like to actually get a shot at an elk one of these years... 

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2015, 03:17:20 PM »
They do look like this, right?  Not sure how you can read the regulations and determine that is not a barbed head.  Did the gamie ask you out on a date afterward :chuckle:

Would be nice if the WDFW would clarify the rule since this is not the first time broadheads that are clearly in violation of the rule get a pass.  If the state doesn't care then they need to get rid of that rule all together.  Would make life for bowhunters and archery shops a whole lot easier if you didn't have to second guess every broadhead with a bump, dip, curve or jag.

Offline goody31

• Tracker
« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2015, 03:29:34 PM »
They do look like this, right?  Not sure how you can read the regulations and determine that is not a barbed head.  Did the gamie ask you out on a date afterward :chuckle:

Would be nice if the WDFW would clarify the rule since this is not the first time broadheads that are clearly in violation of the rule get a pass.  If the state doesn't care then they need to get rid of that rule all together.  Would make life for bowhunters and archery shops a whole lot easier if you didn't have to second guess every broadhead with a bump, dip, curve or jag.

Yes those are them, and I was told they don't "angle back to the shaft" as it reads, they step down towards the base of the arrow where it threads.   And yes it's always clear as mud in the regs. Now those guys might not of cared when they checked but some rookie out there making a name for themselves might next time.  Its a crap shoot either way. Who knows maybe this year they will take it out of the regs with the mechanical's being introduced since most of them all angle back to the shaft.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #100 on: March 02, 2015, 04:40:39 PM »
g.   It is unlawful to hunt big game animals
with a broadhead blade unless the
broadhead is unbarbed and completely
closed at the back end of the blade or
blades by a smooth, unbroken surface
starting at maximum blade width and
forming a smooth line toward the feather
end of the shaft and such line does not angle
toward the point.

I think you might have read it backward.  As written it is clear that a smooth unbroken line must angle from the widest point toward the feathered end of the shaft.  Back when this rule was new there were tickets written for Brute broadheads that had even a slight curve that arched from the widest point ever so slightly toward the point before continuing the arch toward the fletching.  I field tested a two blade broadhead back in the eighties called the Calmont Super2.  It was similar in design to the one piece ferruled Bear Razorhead but 1.5" wide and completely flat at the back of the blade.  It did not angle toward the point or the nock being completely square to the shaft.  I was told by WDFW that it too was illegal in Washington state and I had to field test it in Oregon, California, South Carolina and Texas instead.

Most of the popular expendables are not barbed.  Some are without question, but most have blades that will fold forward eliminating and chance of a barb.  Most pull from an animal with much less effort than a legal fixed head.  I believe the regulations will clarify that a legal expandable would be required to fold/swivel forward in an unbarbed manner.  Quite a few states that read that way and it would be easy for this state to just cut and paste unless they worry about plagiarism :rolleyes:

Most broadheads from todays high performance bows completely penetrate.  Even my wife and her little bow shooting three blade broadheads penetrate most every deer or bear she shoots.  So barbed is not the horrible thing it was when recurves and longbows ruled the sport.  But poor penetration still happens on occasion.  And we as good stewards need to be vigilant in our efforts to make sure a non-vital arrow strike doesn't become the next viral Youtube video and ammunition for the anti-hunting/anti-bowhunting extremists.  If we have to pay some inconvenience in doing so...that might not be the worst thing :dunno:

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2015, 08:25:58 PM »
Gold Tip HT Hunters 7595's, Muzzy 100gr 4 blade broad heads, Blazer vanes and Nockturnal lighted nocks,  complete pass through on last 3 deer in pass 3 years.  This year was a little strange though.  I hit just behind the should nicking the shoulder blade with one of the broad head blades which that deflected in into a rib taking that out and causing the arrow to almost a 90 degree turn exiting out just in front the back hip on the other side.  Probably going to with 125 gr broad heads for this year.
So I use this setup on my Bowtech Destoyer 340 a 63lbs draw and draw length 29" for now.  I just got a Hoyt Turbotec 80lb draw and 30" draw length.  Now if I turn down the bow poundage to 70lbs I will be right at the state limit with 125gr broad heads.  Weight of my arrows with 125gr heads is 436gr.  What would you all recommend if I want to keep the bow at 80lbs?  At that legal weight would be 480gr.  I thought about going to the Gold Tip Kinetic line but I really like my Hunters.
I know a guy that has a bunch of 2419 ?  :chuckle:, maybe for that bow ....... ;)
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2015, 08:31:47 PM »
I know a guy that has a bunch of 2419 ?  :chuckle:, maybe for that bow ....... ;)
Really.  I wonder who that is.   :chuckle:
Russell McDonald

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #103 on: March 03, 2015, 08:44:53 PM »
nothing like using  big sticks. I'm gonna push van 250 with the 95 grain inserts and 80 lbs limbs on my  insanity.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
« Reply #104 on: March 03, 2015, 08:52:41 PM »
nothing like using  big sticks. I'm gonna push van 250 with the 95 grain inserts and 80 lbs limbs on my  insanity.
I would have said 80lbs I crazy but after drawing that bow it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. 
Russell McDonald

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]