collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Whats Your Arrow Setup?  (Read 42376 times)

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Whats Your Arrow Setup?
« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2015, 08:58:48 PM »
I know a guy that has a bunch of 2419 ?  :chuckle:, maybe for that bow ....... ;)

I love Lincoln Logs.  They're fun!
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline sneakyjake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2015, 09:31:19 PM »
Hey Russ, I have the hunters and have always felt barely legal with a 70# bow. This year I put 3gr/in inserts in all my arrows with 4 in vanes.  I bumped my BH's to 125s and the arrows flew great. They came to 485gr.  I couldn't believe the penetration on my elk this year at 40 yards.  I would ask those of you who have gone from a 70 to 80# bow, what were the differences that you noticed?  Was the trajectory on a heavier arrow that noticeably? 

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2015, 11:51:44 PM »
Going from 80# to 70# I noticed my arrows were only five yards on the other side of where the elk stood instead of 5.5 yards on the other side :chuckle: 

I also noticed I hit the heart more often and the liver less leading to shorter blood trails.  If I have to blood trail at all!  I also noticed I could hold steady enough, long enough that I could shoot when I wanted to instead of when I needed to.  Of course those heavy arrows out of the 80# bow did break bricks and stacks of glass better than my 70# bows. ;)

I've also noticed that my effective range is longer with the 70# bow than it was with the 80# bow.  And actually it is even better now with 63-65# than it was at 70#.  But some things are the same.  When I shoot an elk at the base of the scapula, just above the ball joint, my arrows stick just like they did at 70# and just as they did at 80#.  I now break the ball joint when I hit it solid just like I did when I shot 70# and just as I did at 80# too.

I was always amazed that no one was impressed when I missed when shooting 80#.  But I have impressed myself with all the hearts I've hit with these new wimpy bows 8)  I quit shooting 80# when I tore a rotator cuff hunting in below zero temperatures trying to shoot back over my left shoulder.  Not that I wanted to give the impression that my wiener shrunk, but because I had to.  I finished my season shooting 55# left handed and put a spike in the freezer after a 45 yard shot and a 10 yard blood trail.  That's when I realized the injury just might be the best thing that ever happed to me. After the pain was gone it really was the best thing to happen to me. 

I'd happily shoot 80# again if I ever decided to hunt Cape Buffalo or hippo.  But until then I'll be happy losing those "Man Points" and replace them with trophy points.  I am married after all so Man Points buy me NOTHING!  A full freezer does buy me a happy wife though :chuckle:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 12:04:06 AM by RadSav »

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2015, 07:00:23 AM »
my option is a 80 lb bow will shoot heavy arrows flatter and have more ke. they also fly better in windy conditions and if you clip a twig the arrow has a better chance of finding its mark . frontal shoots often end with a exit hole . I feel that with the higher let off bows I have a harder time being stable . the 80 limbs feel better at full draw in my opinion. by all means everyone is different  like different feels . I saw Russ draw that 80 turbo tech like it was butter so I don't see any reason to change them. lighter limbs for 3d and practice are better as you near the end of a round and fatigue sets in but while hunt the 80s are champ !
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #109 on: March 04, 2015, 07:48:35 AM »
Shoot in sub freezing temperatures or after charging up a hill to cut off a bull and you may wish you had a 70# bow.  Although if you're a lucky bass and just drive up to your raffle bull with the truck... :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #110 on: March 04, 2015, 07:55:36 AM »
Im going to start hunting with 80# because 63# just doesn't get it done for me.

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Encore 280
« Reply #111 on: March 04, 2015, 08:31:33 AM »
I've been watching this thread since it started so I guess I'll jump in. I just bought a PSE 3G out of Cabela's this last December. I had it set up for me at Spts. Whse. and started at 42# with 500 spine Gold Tip Hunter Expeditions and 100gr field tips. After a couple weeks I set it to 50 then 55 and now I'm up to 60# and the 400 spine GT HE's and feel pretty confident at 50yds but not sure that I'd go for an animal at that distance. I'm 66 years old, 5' 8" and 175#. I don't know that I'd be able to use a bow set at 70# and wouldn't even think of an 80#. I plan on archery deer this year and really want to go for elk also but we'll see. I plan on using the same arrows and with the Savora Triple Sec 100's that I just got a couple weeks ago. I really want to find someone and I know I should go to Cabela's or someone that really knows their archery stuff and get this bow fitted to me just so I feel better about it. I don't think I'm getting enough draw out of it cuz it seems like it comes up just a little too short. My anchor point is just under my right ear and my left arm isn't totally extended. I don't know if it should have just a little bit of a break in it or not but at least I'm not getting snapped by the string like my kid did a couple weeks ago on his bare forearm. :yike: It just seems like I'm pulling too hard against the bow and I start shaking too soon before let off. Ok there ya have it. I think I need some serious coaching from an expert. Any help and or advice is greatly appreciated. I'm retired so anyone that has time to give me some pointers that would be great. I know, I should get to Tulalip Cabela's and check them out. Does anyone know if they have a good archery department up there? Thanks guys.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #112 on: March 04, 2015, 08:40:31 AM »
Encore 280 - The guys at the Federal Way Sportsman's get good reviews on getting you set up well.  A little far but Denton at Rock Creek Archery in Enumscratch would really get you dialed in.  As would The Nock Point in Mt Lk Terr.  Those are just the first ones off the top of my head.  Sounds like you are doing pretty good so far!

Up until last year the Idaho state record was taken with a 58# compound bow with a 26" draw length.  Also with a 100 grain Savora broadhead, BTW :chuckle:  So you should have plenty of bow if you can find the time.

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #113 on: March 04, 2015, 08:54:16 AM »
Ok thanks for the info, I'll see about the guys at Mt. Lk. Ter.. I see these guys on the huntin shows and they draw these big bows back and they make it look so effortless! I don't know how these guys do 80#'s! They must be part gorilla!! I have nothing but time so I try to shoot every day but it doesn't always happen. I've got 5 targets set at 30, 40, and 50yds. and have a dozen arrows and shoot probably for an hour or so.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #114 on: March 04, 2015, 09:50:11 AM »
My first bow was a Reflex Bighorn (made by Hoyt) maxed out a 73lbs draw.  I went to the Bowtech Destoyer 340 maxed out a 63lbs.  I noticed the draw felt the same between both the bow even though they are different draw weights.  The difference axle to axle distance.  The Reflex was 35" the Bowtech is 32".  Now that Turbotec is I believe 36 or 37" axle to axle.  Yes it is a pretty easy draw.  I guess being 6'1" 300lbs you could mistake me as a gorilla  :chuckle:
Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #115 on: March 04, 2015, 10:33:26 AM »
Ok so the more distance between the axels means easier draw? My 3G is 33" between axels so I guess that would explain it then. I'm gradually getting used to it though. Next step is 65# maybe in a couple weeks or a couple months I'll crank it up a turn or two.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
« Reply #116 on: March 04, 2015, 10:41:04 AM »
Ok so the more distance between the axels means easier draw? My 3G is 33" between axels so I guess that would explain it then. I'm gradually getting used to it though. Next step is 65# maybe in a couple weeks or a couple months I'll crank it up a turn or two.
That is what I have noticed.  I might be wrong though.  I am surely not an expert here  :chuckle:
Russell McDonald

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #117 on: March 04, 2015, 01:32:26 PM »
Shoot in sub freezing temperatures or after charging up a hill to cut off a bull and you may wish you had a 70# bow.  Although if you're a lucky bass and just drive up to your raffle bull with the truck... :chuckle: :chuckle:
I used to shoot a 100lbs martin fury so I guess dropping down to a 80 lbs bow makes it feel like butter . Rav its ok if your weak your still a good guy .  :chuckle:
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #118 on: March 04, 2015, 03:07:58 PM »
Ok so I was just outside shooting and I'm thinking "60# draw weight on a bow so what does it matter if the axel distance is 33" or 37", you're still pulling 60#" :bash: Right? :dunno: Ok I'm going back out and shoot some more.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
« Reply #119 on: March 04, 2015, 03:53:59 PM »
Think of the angle of string when you draw.   With a shorter axle to axle you have more of a drastic string angle then you would at a longer axle to axle.  I know the 2 bows are different poundages but they felt the same when you draw back. To the expert please correct me if I am wrong.   I am looking at this on how it felt to me and them looking at the design of the 2 different bows.  Also the cam style between manufactures is a big thing in how the draw fellas on a bow to.  At least that is what I think.
Russell McDonald

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal