collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: studs or studless snow tires??  (Read 20378 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
studs or studless snow tires??
« on: December 23, 2008, 09:26:10 PM »
ok...so let's throw this out there right off the bat...i am from the northeastern U.S. and studs/chains/etc are all illegal where i come from. i have never used studs or chains for on-road driving and don't know which winter tires to get for my wife's jeep. she's decided that she will need studs or something more than her regular tires for her jeep. so curious to know if anybody thinks pretty highly of the new studless snow tires or just the regular old studded snows....don't really care much about the cost, just want whats best for her car. i understand that this is not the end-all solution to traction in the snow, but if it will give her a little warm fuzzy feeling in her tummy, then that'd be good.
lets not turn this into a learn how to drive in the snow thread...just looking for some input regarding the tires...thanks.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Bookworm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: studs or studless snow tires??
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 09:28:07 PM »
The wife has the studless snow tires on her car. They seem to work well. :twocents:

Offline rougheye

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 09:38:18 PM »
Where i live ( Cle Elum ) seems studs are the norm . I dont use them on my truck but i got some for the wife with her new Rav4 and i have to admit , that thing gets around like a snomobile . Peace of mind for me because she is a chitty driver  :chuckle:

Offline hunterbuilder

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 09:42:28 PM »
I put the les schwab wintercat sst with studs on my wifes Jeep Grand Cherokee last winter. It was her first winter really driving on snow/ice. She didn't have any problems all winter and we had constant snow on the roads here in Wenatchee all winter. I don't run them on my own rig but I must say, it was the best/easiest driving vehicle on snowy/icy roads I've ever driven. We sold the Jeep and I'm now looking for some studded tires for her Mazda Tribute.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 09:44:30 PM »
thanks guys. i appreciate the feedback.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 10:18:27 PM »
I have studded tires premounted on rims for four rigs, love them. Wife has been driving/commuting to work all this icy time with no problems in her Explorer.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 10:19:35 PM »
Jack,  I have had studs for the past 10 years on my wife's car, all front wheel drive on a second set of tires...  I could literally drive that her cars places on hard pack snow and icy roads that I wouldn't dream with my 4 x 4 unstudded.  When the roads in Anchorage freeze solid studs are the only way to go.  They make noise when it's dry but man they are like super glue on slick icy roads.  Starting and stopping distances are cut to a complete min...  We used Nokkias (spelling stinks), top of the line tire, costly, but man they are the cat meow for cars and smaller suv's...  I used Cooper's studded once, man unreal for a full sized truck, but come spring didn't want to buy a new set of tires so off to popping out each one with a small screw driver...  My friends wife tried last week to get studs put into a new set of tires at Les Swuabs (Maple Valley/Covington), they wouldn't do it?  Maybe it is not PC here but they work excellent...

Offline needs2hunt

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 10:27:48 PM »
Any tire store will install studs!!! On tires that have never been driven on, If they have been driven on even the shortest distance they will not install studs... insurance issuses...

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 10:39:22 PM »
Yeah Josh, I too grew up in the studs and chains are illegal part of the world so when I moved here and saw that the road care in a winter storm is less then ideal and the ice is really greasy I tried a new set of M/T tires on my Toyota and had them siped when they were new and never had a problem, they stuck to the ice really well and it suprised me. I or they don't recomend siping them if you are doing a bunch of off road driving but most of what your wife will do should be on the road and the siped ones should do great.

Not a big fan of the studs or chains but that could be a different thread all together !!!
The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 04:16:20 AM »
no studs or chains on my rigs .If I need the chains to get to the store,I dont need to be at the store.I do like to have chains in the woods,in case I get stuck..

Offline Slider

• Frontiersman
    • www.albinovest.com
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 05:42:59 AM »
My daughter has an 05 Civic EX. We (I should say I) put Michelin X-Ice on her car she's 18 this is her second winter and she has never been stuck. We live in Wenatchee.

http://www.consumerreports.org/rssfeed/eng0511tir.html?KEYID=I58RSS1

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 06:09:56 AM »
Just put 4 on the old lady's car last week Jack, only way to fly!! Like Cohoho said, starting, stopping issues are about non-existent, handling on compact snow and ice is superb. Best $350.00 I've spent in a long time. Pretty cheap piece of mind.... Later.
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline Rick

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 08:09:55 AM »
Any tire store will install studs!!! On tires that have never been driven on, If they have been driven on even the shortest distance they will not install studs... insurance issuses...

Its not an insurance issue to stud tires that have been driven on. The issue is that the holes for the studs get filled with dirt and crap and you can't install the studs correctly.

Offline Rick

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 08:18:00 AM »
For the West side,I prefer studless. Its not very often we get snow and ice like we've had the last week. Studded tires actually have less traction on wet/dry roads. You're partially riding on the studs and that compromises traction.

If you lived on the East side and got weather like this all Winter,then I'd lean towards studs.

When I worked at a tire store in high school,we got to try the Blizzaks right when they came on the market. We actually got to drive a couple different cars on an ice rink. The Blizzaks are an amazing tire. Another awesome tire are the Nokian Hakkapeliittas.

Offline Gutpile

• Gaseous horribulous stinkusis
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/mark.farrell.142?ref=tn_tnmn
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 08:23:14 AM »
I have studded tires for my truck since I'm hunting in nasty weather a lot and I love them. Wife wife doesn't but the grand cherokee seems to do just fine.

I did put studs on my wifes car back when she drove a Honda. Studs can't be beat for icy conditions. I'll own them as long as they're legal.

Y.A.R. Gold Member

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter