collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Accuracy and long range hunting  (Read 24869 times)

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
Re: Accuracy and long range hunting
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2015, 04:27:11 PM »
Coach..although it doesn't appear that your really pushing those extreme ranges (1300 and beyond) I'm curious as to how you and other guys determine your max distance ? Do you live an die by remaining energy ? Time of flight ? Remaining velocity ?

This is putting shooting conditions aside..zero wind, middle Temps/other inputs

I'm fine with 800 foot pounds of energy but am not a fan of the long flight times so that limites me to that 750-800 mark before I get uncomfortable

Alot can happen in 1.5 seconds !

I have one issue with a vlds and 800 lbs of energy so distance isn't really the deciding factor for me. Rather what condition doing feel comfortable putting the shot inside of a coffer cup.  That may be 100 or 800.in my mind  conditions and  math need to be spot on to send one  800 at a heartbeat. I guess I'm pretty lucky I only see game as a target  and don't get buck fever (in less it's a bear at 20 feet ) one thing that really helps me  is knowing that the equmpteenth  I'm shooting is the most accurate  I can afford . Knowing the system you have is 1/4 moa . Gives me the confidence that if I'm settled in the shot ,that the outcome will be favoritible.   My shot on my sheep this year was 300 yards steep downhill Ina huge 45 MPh wind .under the circumstances it was long range . I shot my deer at 250 off a camera tripod standing up with my long range system at 20 power it was a chip shot . I literally  was counting  the hairs .  I wouldn't ever judge someone by the sheer distance of a shot because every time it holds different degrees of complexity. I'm sure there is guys on here that make1000yard shoto look easy. So that's why I use the coffee cup method. I want that berger into the boiler room every time.  Guys that shot that bullet through a shoulder either don't have the set up for there style of hunting or made a bad shot. Know your equipment and its intended use practice with it and have confidence in it .
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2015, 04:53:30 PM »
I wish I had a faster twist to stabilize the 62s or slightly heavier bullets.

I don't know how fast a twist you need for a 62 but if you've got at least a 1-12tw maybe take a look at Hornady's 53 Vmax.  It has a G1 BC of .290 and they shoot lights out in my 223 Ack Imp but you'll need at least a 1-12tw to stabilize them.
if you can speed up the bullet enough, you might be able to overcome the twist.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2015, 07:52:07 PM »
Coach..although it doesn't appear that your really pushing those extreme ranges (1300 and beyond) I'm curious as to how you and other guys determine your max distance ? Do you live an die by remaining energy ? Time of flight ? Remaining velocity ?

This is putting shooting conditions aside..zero wind, middle Temps/other inputs

I'm fine with 800 foot pounds of energy but am not a fan of the long flight times so that limites me to that 750-800 mark before I get uncomfortable

Alot can happen in 1.5 seconds !

I have one issue with a vlds and 800 lbs of energy so distance isn't really the deciding factor for me. Rather what condition doing feel comfortable putting the shot inside of a coffer cup.  That may be 100 or 800.in my mind  conditions and  math need to be spot on to send one  800 at a heartbeat. I guess I'm pretty lucky I only see game as a target  and don't get buck fever (in less it's a bear at 20 feet ) one thing that really helps me  is knowing that the equmpteenth  I'm shooting is the most accurate  I can afford . Knowing the system you have is 1/4 moa . Gives me the confidence that if I'm settled in the shot ,that the outcome will be favoritible.   My shot on my sheep this year was 300 yards steep downhill Ina huge 45 MPh wind .under the circumstances it was long range . I shot my deer at 250 off a camera tripod standing up with my long range system at 20 power it was a chip shot . I literally  was counting  the hairs .  I wouldn't ever judge someone by the sheer distance of a shot because every time it holds different degrees of complexity. I'm sure there is guys on here that make1000yard shoto look easy. So that's why I use the coffee cup method. I want that berger into the boiler room every time.  Guys that shot that bullet through a shoulder either don't have the set up for there style of hunting or made a bad shot. Know your equipment and its intended use practice with it and have confidence in it .

Well said coach

Offline WoodlandShooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: P.H.U.
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2015, 08:53:58 AM »
I'm not that good yet but my personal goals are to reach out till I go subsonic or just before.  Currently I'm working at 730 yards with my fav 243. I'm shooting 64gr Berger BR column  in this weather they are going 3775 at the muzzle(re17 is very temp sensitive!)  these bullets are designed for 500 and less yard match. I'm thinking this is a little far for these tiny flat base bullets.  I'm wondering if they are getting unstable cause in no wind it's still difficult keeping them on 10" plate, yet at 500 the 6" plate is simple.  I think that it's not one thing that should make or break your personal limits, you really need to take all of those things mentioned( conditions aside) in to consideration.

Have you tried some 105's??? I have been working up a load for my 243WSSM. At the moment, it is at 2990FPS, 200 yard zero,4 mills elevation at 700 yards and  7.8 mils elevation at 1000 yards yesterday,

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2015, 09:56:35 AM »
Yes I use them a lot but this rifle just will not stabilize them in the winter weather.  Back in sept I was using them and keeping them on 6" round steel at 500. I love how well the take the wind. This rifle is a true 9 1/8 twist.  My old 243 is a measured 8 3/4 twist not 9 1/8 like rem claimed. It shot them in all weather conditions that I encountered.  I'd like to try some 95's but funds are short right now so I'm just playing with these 64's till warmer weather.  It's a lot of fun pushing these little bullets to there max ranges!
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Online mountainman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2015, 10:54:02 PM »
Putting in the time..
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Online mountainman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2015, 10:55:52 PM »
Love it when the lone chuck pokes his head up or past the 1000 yard target!
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2015, 12:06:29 AM »
I wish I had a faster twist to stabilize the 62s or slightly heavier bullets.

I don't know how fast a twist you need for a 62 but if you've got at least a 1-12tw maybe take a look at Hornady's 53 Vmax.  It has a G1 BC of .290 and they shoot lights out in my 223 Ack Imp but you'll need at least a 1-12tw to stabilize them.
if you can speed up the bullet enough, you might be able to overcome the twist.

I'd have to gain a bit more speed than safe, I had a few loads tightening up but had too many pressure signs to consider them safe. My rifle is just twisted too slow for bullest above 55gr.  My best load does a consistent .5moa out to 400 but this has been a picky rifle. It is getting close to needing set back but I am considering a new, faster twist barrel instead. In 220 AI😄

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2015, 06:51:37 PM »
I found some 87gr vmax to play with till the weather warms up. Worked up my load with re15 and cci#250's.  I use the ladder test method and I did this at 300 yards. Best group was 41gr and Jamed .010". 5shot was 1 1/4" @300 yards. So I run it threw the chrono and got 3240 at the muzzle. Zeroed it @ 200 thenTurned to my 733 yard plate dialed 14 min and so far have gotten 8/10 on 10" square. I need a wind meter! Sofar I been just reading the grass brush and trees which gets me close but it would be better practice if I knew the exact wind speed and a better pressure meter. My next goal will be the 10" plate @ 880 and will replace the 733 target with 7" square steel.  First pic is ladder test then first group test that ended up being my load. First shot was a pull and next 2 where touching so I retested it with 5 shots. Forgot pic

What wind meters are you guys using
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2015, 07:57:41 PM »

What wind meters are you guys using

The grass in front of the target usually. Then the guy I shoot with pulls out some fancy looking Kestrel thingy....... :chuckle:

Andrew

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2015, 08:11:25 PM »
The one I'm looking at is the kestrel 2500.  Is it worth going to the 3500?

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2015, 08:22:07 PM »
I actually just use a Caldwell Wind Wizard that I got from Cabelas for about $25. The other guy's Kestrel is nice but I get the same wind reading from my cheap unit.  :twocents:

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2015, 08:29:35 PM »
i have the kestrel 2500 and think its great. I use it more for pressure and temp than wind. But also for wind.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2015, 10:45:52 PM »
i have the kestrel 2500 and think its great. I use it more for pressure and temp than wind. But also for wind.
does it give absolute pressure or do you have to convert it?

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2015, 11:10:41 PM »
I like to hang a picnic plate @ 100, if I can hit it, it's gtg!! And I've killed a couple critters..
Tod Riechert fan club.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal