collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shotgun scope for turkeys... Opinions?  (Read 16342 times)

Offline andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Shotgun scope for turkeys... Opinions?
« on: January 23, 2015, 12:39:33 PM »
I've been toying with the idea of putting some kind of optics (traditional scope, red-dot, or holographic type) on my shotgun (Remington Versa Max) for turkey hunting.  What are people's opinion on using optics on their shotguns for turkeys?  Pros and cons of the different types? 

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
Re: Shotgun scope for turkeys... Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 12:54:40 PM »
I can't really think of a situation where a scoped shotty would have gotten me a bird, as opposed to open sights

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 12:55:41 PM »
IMHO -  Optics don’t belong on shoguns, a bead is more than enough.

Offline Gobble

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Wack'em and Stack'em
    • Dave Harder
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 12:55:57 PM »
I can't really think of a situation where a scoped shotty would have gotten me a bird, as opposed to open sights

:yeah:

Offline andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 01:06:26 PM »
I agree. I don't think a scope is necessary on a shotgun, but I am curious if anyone has used one and then thought "dang I wish I would have used a scope years ago!"... or the opposite "why did I waste my time and $ scoping my shotgun!". 

Maybe I'm just too bored and getting a little too anxious for turkey season.   :dunno: :chuckle: 

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 01:14:29 PM »
I've used one successfully. I had a shotgun that had a rifled barrel that I used for big game. It had a 2-7x power scope on the receiver. I swapped out the rifled barrel for the smoothbore and hunted turkeys. It was great to be able to aim and know precisely where the shot would hit. At close ranges, the extra tight chokes produce a small shot pattern.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 02:32:16 PM »
I've used one successfully. I had a shotgun that had a rifled barrel that I used for big game. It had a 2-7x power scope on the receiver. I swapped out the rifled barrel for the smoothbore and hunted turkeys. It was great to be able to aim and know precisely where the shot would hit. At close ranges, the extra tight chokes produce a small shot pattern.

Thanks for the reply. This is exactly why I'm considering it. I don't really see any major down side. And can see some possible upside to having a more precise aiming point.

I may have forgot to mention I missed two toms last year.  :chuckle: one I shot over and the ducked behind a log right as I shot.... And of course a little tom fever was involved in both.  :mgun:

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 02:34:40 PM »

Thanks for the reply. This is exactly why I'm considering it. I don't really see any major down side. And can see some possible upside to having a more precise aiming point.

I may have forgot to mention I missed two toms last year.  :chuckle: one I shot over and the ducked behind a log right as I shot.... And of course a little tom fever was involved in both.  :mgun:
It's the first time I had ever "sighted in" a shotgun with shot. I actually had to make significant scope adjustments to change the point of impact to where I wanted it. Put the crosshairs on the head or neck, and squeeze the trigger.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 03:37:00 PM »
My best advice is for everyone to shoot their shotgun using the turkey loads they plan to hunt with at 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50 yards at turkey head targets so that you know where your pattern is at each of those distances, how tight the pattern actually is at each of those distances, and what your maximum effective range is with your gun.

I generally think your maximum effective range is whatever the farthest distance that your gun will consistently put at least three bb's in the kill zone of the neck/head. Other hunters may have a different formula but this has worked pretty well for us. I have been amazed at how many hunters really don't know these things about their gun and ammo. Many shotguns hit high, low, or off to one side. Changing brands of cartridges or size of shot can make big differences for better or for worse. Whether you hunt with or without a scope, in my opinion you really need to know these three things about your gun and the ammo you are using to be an effective turkey hunter as often as possible. Hope that helps.   :hello:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 03:49:00 PM »
Don't complicate things...  Shotguns are made to point and shoot.

Offline andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 03:51:53 PM »
Totally agree bearpaw. I haven't done that extensive of patterning, but I did 25, 40, and 50 yards. I guess I think of adding a scope as a way to take one more variable out of the hunt. Anyone have any negative experiences with a scoped shotgun while turkey hunting?

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 03:54:28 PM »
I would rather go with a good Fiber optic sight over a scope ..A good fiber optic sight can be adjusted to get your pattern where you want it ..A lot of people think because it is a shotgun you can not miss something standing in front of you ...WRONG ..most people point a shotgun and slam the trigger ..When trying to put a high percentage of shot in a turkeys head and neck you need to aim not point and squeeze the trigger and not jerk it ..Practice will teach you what you need to do ! :tup:

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 03:56:22 PM »
Totally agree bearpaw. I haven't done that extensive of patterning, but I did 25, 40, and 50 yards. I guess I think of adding a scope as a way to take one more variable out of the hunt. Anyone have any negative experiences with a scoped shotgun while turkey hunting?

Ever had to hold in place for a long time waiting for a tom?  Now imagine fogging up your scope while waiting.... Fun huh?   How about hunting in the rain/mist? 

Keep it simple.

Offline andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 03:58:35 PM »
Don't complicate things...  Shotguns are made to point and shoot.

Agreed..... At least for shooting flying birds and clays, but when you are shooting at a turkey head/neck that is only a few inches wide, why not have something that lets you aim more accurately?

Offline andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 04:00:28 PM »

Ever had to hold in place for a long time waiting for a tom?  Now imagine fogging up your scope while waiting.... Fun huh?   How about hunting in the rain/mist? 

Keep it simple.

That is very true. I didn't think about that. All very good thoughts here. This is why I asked the question.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal