collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shotgun scope for turkeys... Opinions?  (Read 16336 times)

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Shotgun scope for turkeys... Opinions?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 04:15:30 PM »
Don't complicate things...  Shotguns are made to point and shoot.

Agreed..... At least for shooting flying birds and clays, but when you are shooting at a turkey head/neck that is only a few inches wide, why not have something that lets you aim more accurately?

If you are comfortable with your shotgun and it fits you correctly... Both eyes open, point (aim/focus), base of the neck, bang.....dead bird.    I've never personally had the desire to put a scope on a shotgun??  It's a close range firearm with multiple projectiles. 

I have had several  toms that surprised me coming in quiet and I prefer to have the "open" view that a shotgun provides when taking quick shots.  I'm sure some of the uppity ups here on huntwa will chime in, but If a turkey turns and runs I will take the shot every day of the week.  Adding a scope only makes those shots harder. 

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 04:24:33 PM »
Totally agree bearpaw. I haven't done that extensive of patterning, but I did 25, 40, and 50 yards. I guess I think of adding a scope as a way to take one more variable out of the hunt. Anyone have any negative experiences with a scoped shotgun while turkey hunting?

When there is plenty of time I see no real disadvantage for almost any hunter to use a scope and a scope might be an advantage for some hunters when they have lots of time to aim.

I have seen situations where the hunter was not quick at aiming their scoped shotgun and they might have missed out on a good shot opportunity that they might have capitalized on with an open sight shotgun. If you are fast at putting the scoped gun up and acquiring the target that wouldn't be an issue. On the other hand there are plenty of guys who are good with open sights and regularly shoot right on so a scope probably wouldn't benefit them.

I think it's more a matter of preference and getting to know the shotgun you are shooting. Get to know your gun well, whether it has a scope or not you will do well.  :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 01:40:43 PM »
Have you thought of a holosight?  I'm getting my gun drilled and tapped this week to put one on. 1x magnification best of both worlds in my opinion.  Should prevent shooting high, which is how most turkeys are missed.

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 02:11:44 PM »
Have you thought of a holosight?  I'm getting my gun drilled and tapped this week to put one on. 1x magnification best of both worlds in my opinion.  Should prevent shooting high, which is how most turkeys are missed.

:tup:  I have not hunted turkey with that type of sight, but I have hunted dogs that way.  It's pretty fantastic!
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2015, 10:00:53 AM »
My kids 20ga has a 0x red dot site. Up close w/a ultra-full choke no misses with a tight pattern. Once sighted in all you have to do is put the red dot where you want to hit them. You don't have to have your head right on the gun and line up your pin. Makes for those awkward shots more do-a-bull. One of my daughters dumped a nice tom at 50yds w/#5's. I use one on my 12ga works real good. For those of you who have not used one you shouldn't be criticizing them. I left it on my gun and tried it on ducks this year, worked real well.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2015, 10:16:38 AM »
I'm going to put a red dot sight on my gun this year just for fun and to kill one a different way. Do I think it will be more effective, no. In fact I think it's going to be more of a challenge.  Use the bow for the other tag, ad that's always a lot of fun. If it were all about killing, I'd never leave home with anything other than an a shotty with beads. Can't be beat for versibility.:twocents:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2015, 11:31:54 AM »
I'm of the opinion that some sort of rear sight will help turkey hunters greatly. Comb height with just a front bead site can affect your pattern high or low. With a rear site, be it a v notch, a ghost ring, whatever will eliminate that problem. A scope or red dot would only help further. I have a tru glo gobble stopper red dot on my turkey gun and it allowed me to really dial in my pattern better than anything else I've ever tried. Maybe it's overkill but different strokes for different folks.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2015, 12:27:05 PM »
I'm thinking about adding a red dot as well, more worried about the close in shots where the pattern is too tight.  PA Ben, what red dot is that?  I'm trying to find a cheap red dot that would hold up to the 3.5" turkey loads.  I'd even be happy with an adjustable v notch open sight, but those even seem harder to find.

Offline zike

• Scout
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2015, 03:59:34 PM »
I have a set of rifle sights that clamp on the rib. The rear sight is adjustable, they work great. I don't know where i found them or if there still made. I left them on for duck season one year and was chasing a greenhead. The bird was close when I shot, the headless body and the bill were floating, the rest was gone. I had no trouble shooting over them. I'd recommend for turkey hunting.

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2015, 08:39:30 AM »
When diabetes started changing my eyesight, I found that the "Tru-Glo" type sights would either have the front or back open sight blurring ... and on a moving turkey made taking a clean shot getting harder and harder.
 :yike:
 I picked up a Sightmark Holographic sight for about $50 which has 4 reticle and 7 different light settings to chose from ... after sighting in, all I have to do is put the single bead on where I want to hit and it's quick and lethal ... no lining up the front and back sights with where I want to hit.  For my money at least, it' a godsend.
 :tup:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 07:53:36 AM by turkeydancer »

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2015, 09:06:54 AM »
I've tried the red dots.   I prefer my ghost ring sights.  Shot with a holographic sight on a friends gun this weekend. Strong 2nd place
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2015, 09:20:06 AM »
I've used a ghost ring on a muzzleloader in the past and liked it.  And I've been considering it for my shotgun.  But I do like the idea of having a sight/scope mounted a little higher so you can be in a more natural shooting position as Jackelope said.  And that gobble stopper red-dot looks like a nice set-up. 

Offline Yelper Guy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NWTF
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2015, 09:21:40 AM »
After seeing my brother miss 2 different gobblers, over a couple years time, he decided to get the red dot.
He hasn't missed since. As my eyes get older I may be getting one myself

Offline mossy8352

• Longhunter
  • Ready To Go
    • http://www.facebook.com/arthur.mccahan
    • Mikes Digital Solutions
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2015, 09:21:53 AM »
I have a Mueller on mine and have used it for the last five years in rain, snow and sunshine with out any issues. Lost a lot of vision in my right eye and shoot right handed only so getting the left eye in the right position is out of the question. I did and do go out to the pattern board and practice each season as Bear Paw suggested.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2015, 10:36:39 AM »
I've used a ghost ring on a muzzleloader in the past and liked it.  And I've been considering it for my shotgun.  But I do like the idea of having a sight/scope mounted a little higher so you can be in a more natural shooting position as Jackelope said.  And that gobble stopper red-dot looks like a nice set-up. 
I like a taller sight my self. One of the reasons I went with this setup
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 06:47:24 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter