collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lookout wolves: Wildlife officials say pack is up to five members  (Read 16843 times)

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Lookout wolves: Wildlife officials say pack is up to five members
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 02:24:35 PM »

At the end of May 2014 wolves attack a dog down in McFarland Cr, WDFW set some traps and caught a female wolf, which they said was part of the Lookout pack. I have heard from a reliable source that this female headed into the Pasayten W. this winter, where it stopped and hasn't move since, I wonder why this wolf hasn't been confirmed dead or?

I'll suspect, weather, budget for manpower. -And no suspects?  Define, not moved? If there's a den with another male, could we have another breeding pair spawned from Lookout? As long as there's food near, they don't need to range much. But, other than a female being kicked out of a pack, why would a female all the sudden distance herself from the pack?

-Steve

What's also interesting is at the time these wolves attacked the dog in McFarland Cr, another pack was being seen on a regular basis in Poorman Cr and Alder Cr.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 06:01:07 PM »
Did anyone notice this is from last January????
:yeah:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 06:04:27 PM »

The lookout pack is one of those packs that never grows, it really doesn't matter what year it is. ;)

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 07:19:19 PM »
with all that effort being put forth you'd think we have gotten some updated info on the pack
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline mountainman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 07:56:29 PM »
Saw one Saturday night up there
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 07:57:42 PM »
I came across the tracks of 5 together in Gold Creek in December. They came out of Oxide and headed up South Fork
The mountains are calling and I must go

Offline JackOfAllTrades

• Rasbo said I Ain't Right.
  • Old Salt
  • Μολὼν λαβέ
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 11:21:34 PM »

The article is historical reference. The point is, people that live in that area are seeing more wolves..

-Steve
The NRA says I'm a Master!
Colt's, Ruger's, Dan Wesson, & Kimber are my friends!
Proud to be a U.S. Navy Veteran.

If you never follow your dreams, you'll never go anywhere.

Critical thinking keeps people from freaking the hell out every time some half baked blogger forgets his meds. Unlike some of you, I do not have TawkethOutOfAnus© syndrome.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2015, 05:50:30 AM »
Some thinning out is needed!!
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 06:50:34 AM »
Packs don't always stay together.  We see singles, doubles, 3's all the time up here.  They are often seperated by ten or more miles.  That doesn't mean they are not a pack....

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 09:10:02 AM »
Packs don't always stay together.  We see singles, doubles, 3's all the time up here.  They are often seperated by ten or more miles.  That doesn't mean they are not a pack....
dosent mean they are either.
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2015, 09:35:14 AM »
So what are they?

Packs are not as cohesive as some of you seem to think.  Reproductive activity is really the deciding factor.  Since there are soooo many folks here that see wolves all over the place and know so much about them, perhaps they should think about taking a picture, or figuring out a denning location if there is another pack.  It's not terribly hard.  Wolves are not much good at hiding. 

If there is a wolf hiding behind every tree in the Methow, it should be pretty easy to find denning sites if there are other packs that the state is failing to document (which I am not saying is out of the question).

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2015, 09:56:24 AM »
Can be rogues or dispersals moving threw as well or members of a different pack. I know they don't stay together 100% of the time but ten miles apart seems a little far IMO.
Wolves aren't very good at hiding ??? I'd bet our hw wolf hunters would disagree, camp meat, Hersey, ect.

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2015, 10:02:11 AM »
So what are they?

Packs are not as cohesive as some of you seem to think.  Reproductive activity is really the deciding factor.  Since there are soooo many folks here that see wolves all over the place and know so much about them, perhaps they should think about taking a picture, or figuring out a denning location if there is another pack.  It's not terribly hard.  Wolves are not much good at hiding. 

If there is a wolf hiding behind every tree in the Methow, it should be pretty easy to find denning sites if there are other packs that the state is failing to document (which I am not saying is out of the question).

If what you say is true why does it take WDFW so long to confirm? Report after report in the Methow Valley and they had to be reported to the WSP before WDFW would finally confirm a pack in the Methow. I think it was 2009-2010 the lookout pack and a pack up in War Cr were seen the same day. According to WDFW every wolf sighting in the Okanogan is a part of the lookout pack.

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2015, 10:02:58 AM »
10 miles doesn't mean anything to a wolf.  They cover that in no time flat and are very regularly moving way further distances.

Wolves are no good at hiding insofar as they are noisy and leave tracks/sign absolutely everywhere.  I didn't intend to say they were easy to hunt  :)  My ID tag is still unnotched too...

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2015, 10:06:59 AM »
So what are they?

If what you say is true why does it take WDFW so long to confirm? Report after report in the Methow Valley and they had to be reported to the WSP before WDFW would finally confirm a pack in the Methow. I think it was 2009-2010 the lookout pack and a pack up in War Cr were seen the same day. According to WDFW every wolf sighting in the Okanogan is a part of the lookout pack.
Because they have been dragging their feet, and they are still trying to learn how to get into the wolf business. I'm not familiar with War cr, if there was a wolf or two spotted it would be meaningless.... Animals from the same pack can be separated by ~10 (or more) miles sometimes.  We see that up in NE Washington.  Singles, pairs and even 3-4  wolves are always moving through the range away from the rest of the pack.  They don't always stay together.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal