collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Waterfowl shotgun  (Read 14457 times)

Offline Muleyman27

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Waterfowl shotgun
« on: January 27, 2015, 07:32:19 AM »
Hey I'm looking at getting a new shotgun for next season and was wondering what is your guys favorite shotgun. I'm thinking about a semi auto that is good quality and will last me a long time! Just not sure what to get?

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
Re: Waterfowl shotgun
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 07:41:01 AM »
My favorite is the Benelli SBEII.  Bought a Beretta Extrema 2, but sold it.  Nice on recoil, but throws up different than my other shotguns even shimmed.
Winchester SX3 is another nice shooter.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 07:42:24 AM »
Winchester SuperX3... I grew up in prosser and have hunted with every shotgun out there. The SX3 shoots and feels great , easy to clean. i have had mine two years and not one issue.. 

I'm not Benelli fan, they all suck in my mind.  They feel weird and have issues. 
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline snocohunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 08:26:28 AM »
I shoot a SX3 and like it a lot. I also shoot the SBEII well. Go shoulder and shoot whatever you plan on buying. I bought my SX3 after shooting some browning golds and also an SX2, and ended up liking it.

Offline Pnwrider

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 08:47:07 AM »
Benelli SBE ii. I tried a lot and that one shouldered the best for me. Haven't had a single issue and I only clean it if it gets wet. the gas operated guns I've owned were easier to clean but I wouldn't trade that benelli for anything. Plus they don't come out with a new model every other year if resale is a concern.

Offline saltwaterhillbilly

• 'Bird Doggin'
  • Hunter
    • Call Kill Consume Northwest
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 09:13:26 AM »
In my opinion depending on your budget shoulder a few guns see what you think fits you best. i started with a Remington 870 pump hunting deer and waterfowl in Indiana of course with interchangeable barrels,  then went to a benelli pump supernova, and found a sweet deal on a Browning Silver Auto loved it , then finally graduated to a  Browning A-5 so its all opinion and feel most times i shoot my silver just because i love it and its taken a beating
" Your not a Duck hunter your wearing face paint and duck commander t shirt"
"Civilized Men sleep soundly, because Rough Men Stand ready to do Violence on their behalf"

Offline JJD

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, DU
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 09:47:33 AM »
Most of the better brands hold up well and generally function well with may different loads.  Have friends who shoot Benelli Beretta, Browning, Winchester all shoot well once ya find a load that they throw well.  Don't know anyone who has tried Remingtons latest models.
As has been suggested, go to several stores and try as many as ya can on for size.  Throw them up with your eyes closed and see how things line up once you get the gun mounted solidly.  Make sure ya take your cold weather coat along so you can try them with the cloths you will wear hunting, rather than a t-shirt.
Spent most of my $$ on huntin, fishin & retrievin dogs, the rest I just pretty much wasted.

Offline metlhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 12:25:46 PM »
Boom is all that matters.Truly it is. Shoot good shells and make sure it fits you. Trying to look cool with a $1200 gun is a suckers game and will kill exactly the same as a beat up hand-me-down shooting the same shell. Corrosion  resistance is great if you tend to be lazy on cleaning, like me. My $275, 22yo win 1300 has not failed me yet. My 3.5 shooting P350 set me back $295, plus some file work. If it feels natural in your hands, that's good. Invest in hunting partners, locations, and ability. Birds will fall.

Offline JJD

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, DU
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 02:39:37 PM »
Metlhead,
Really, if I own a $1200 gun I'm out to impress people?  Give it a rest.
I hunted water fowl with a mossberg 500 for probably longer than you have been alive.
Switched to a semi auto as a result of the beating my arthritic shoulder was taking from the pump shooting out of a layout blind.
I hunt with a few guys, we hunt private land 98% of the season so no one see's me but them.  They could give a rats patooty what I shoot unless I miss then I get plenty of grief. 
Spent most of my $$ on huntin, fishin & retrievin dogs, the rest I just pretty much wasted.

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 03:01:38 PM »
Browning Maxus, best waterfowling gun that I’ve ever used.  It’s a $1600 gun but I usually hunt alone so I have no one to impress.  Besides I look cool no matter which gun I’m using. 8)

Offline Duckhunter14

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSF Life Member, RMGA
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 04:06:06 PM »
Benelli SBE ii. I tried a lot and that one shouldered the best for me. Haven't had a single issue and I only clean it if it gets wet. the gas operated guns I've owned were easier to clean but I wouldn't trade that benelli for anything. Plus they don't come out with a new model every other year if resale is a concern.

:yeah: Love my SBEII...kicks high flyer in FULL on er and you wont look back.  :tup:

Clint
The testing of your faith produces perseverance

Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 04:11:10 PM »
Just get an 12 ga Remington 870 and never wonder if it'll do the job  :tup:
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Buck Rub Jr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 04:40:04 PM »
The first gun I ever bought on my own was a $250 wetland camo Verona 12 ga when I was in elementary school. I am torn ever time I go bird hunting whether I should take it or my 870. They both are incredible guns, the only problem I have with either of them is when it gets real cold out my 870's firing pin likes to act up. But it's a bit older so she just needs some TLC. My buddy has a supernova and I just flat out don't like them but others swear by those, so it's all personal preference. Go play around with a variety of some and find one that you can't live without!
They is where you aint and you aint where they is.

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 04:54:55 PM »
I like my benelli because everyone at the refuge that sees me with it talks about how cool I am... that and it flat out kills ducks, I like my m2 but a left handed Vinci would be nice.

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 05:31:32 PM »
Browning Maxus.  :tup:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 06:37:28 AM by C-Money »
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal