collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunting urban areas  (Read 6097 times)

Offline DJ_Mack

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
Hunting urban areas
« on: January 27, 2015, 04:24:47 PM »
I've been watching the tv show Chasing Tail on the History channel.  It made me think of a big buck that walked down the sidewalk in my neighborhood one night this fall.  I live in everett, and I have often thought about the animals that the gulches along the mukilteo blvd hold.  You can't shoot centerfire or rimfire guns, but my questions is if I am good to hunt with a crossbow or regular bow?  I called the everett police department and they had no idea.  Anyone have experience with this type of thing or could offer insight?  I know some people look down upon it, but still interesting to talk about.  Thanks.
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.

Offline GBoyd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Re: Hunting urban areas
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 04:49:27 PM »
I've hunted some areas within city limits. Before hunting I spent a lot of time on the phone with police, WDFW, and city staff and found that no one was willing to tell me it was legal. No one had any reason to think that it was illegal, but they didn't feel sure enough to say I was good to go.

A couple considerations though, even if you're legal I would be very discrete. There's no reason to let the neighbors know you're hunting. Also, for deer with a bow, you should prepare for the deer to run a good distance before dying. If it dies right in the middle of some kid's birthday party you're going to have an awkward conversation.

Offline DJ_Mack

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 04:56:53 PM »
I had the same issue.  No one will say it is illegal or legal.  I have definitely considered, how others would feel seeing it.  Discretion would have to be top priority.  I might have to put up my trail cam.  Also, are crossbows legal to hunt with in this state?
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.

Offline longwalker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 05:01:12 PM »
I've never understood the desire to hunt urban areas. Killing an animal in town just wouldn't do it for me. I guess if I'm starving and have to eat but I hunt for far more than just filling a tag

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 05:09:11 PM »
Currently, crossbows are only legal in firearm restriction areas during the modern firearm season. But there has been a rumor that they may soon be legal anywhere during modern firearm season. We will know in a couple months when the new hunting regulations come out.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 02:52:55 PM »
Ive dome some urban whitetail hunting. As mentioned expect the animal to run a ways after a archery hit. It can be productive if done correctly. The mature animlas (wt anyways) and especially bucks are still vrry weary of people. They know where people usually are and will bust of they see a person out of normal areas...

Offline Yelper Guy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
  • Groups: NWTF
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 03:24:46 PM »
In Spokane County, bow & arrow hunting is legal in no shooting areas as authorized by the land owner(s).
Like others have stated, I would be afraid of "You just shot Billy - WAHHH!"

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 03:38:50 PM »
I've never understood the desire to hunt urban areas. Killing an animal in town just wouldn't do it for me. I guess if I'm starving and have to eat but I hunt for far more than just filling a tag

The benefit for me hunting an urban area, is how close it was to home.  I got to sit in my blind for 20 or so different days and the wife was good with it cause i was home by the time she got out of bed or home in time for dinner.  Not everyone has the option of spending weekends away from the family. 

What makes you think that hunting an urban area is just about filling a tag?

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 04:30:15 PM »

Depending on how urban and if you things don't work as planned then a story and picture like this is a possibility:

http://seattletimes.com/html/fieldnotes/2016669605_wounded_buck_wandering_snohomish.html

Offline longwalker

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 05:23:12 PM »

To each there own. To me hunting happens In Wilderness areas and as far away from people as I can get. When I go hunting I leave for days if not weeks at a time, if I don't have time for that than why bother , I've killed plenty of *censored* I don't need to just punch tags. If that were the case I can kill a 6x6 bull and decent blacktails from my back porch every year. But killing neighborhood animals doesn't do it for me

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 08:43:10 AM »

To each there own. To me hunting happens In Wilderness areas and as far away from people as I can get. When I go hunting I leave for days if not weeks at a time, if I don't have time for that than why bother , I've killed plenty of *censored* I don't need to just punch tags. If that were the case I can kill a 6x6 bull and decent blacktails from my back porch every year. But killing neighborhood animals doesn't do it for me

Like you said, to each their own.

Offline haus

• Too Tall
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 06:29:57 PM »

Depending on how urban and if you things don't work as planned then a story and picture like this is a possibility:

http://seattletimes.com/html/fieldnotes/2016669605_wounded_buck_wandering_snohomish.html
Damn that reminded me of this little doe we saw feeding along the south bound on ramp at hwy12 and I-5 with an arrow hanging off its left ear.  :o
RMEF

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 11:01:23 AM »
The City of Longview does not allow hunting within city limits.  I found this out by going to the city's website and going through the list of currently enforceable laws passed previously by city council.  I suggest you try that.  If you can't find a law prohibiting the act, then it is likely legal.  I wouldn't recommend trying to find someone to tell you it's OK 'cause no one will.  Beg forgiveness rather than ask permission.

I think that you will find hunting Blacktail in an urban area is just as difficult as out in the wilds.  If you could hang a tree stand in one of those corridors that you describe, it might be just a matter of waiting out the bucks moving around during the rut.  If you're hunting from the ground, good luck!  My trail cam pics show that the bucks around here are virtually completely nocturnal.  They seem to be well aware of human activity hours and traffic.  Many more animals are hit by cars during the rut, but otherwise you just never see bucks here.  Every once in awhile, you hear of someone spotting a buck in the hood during daylight, but that's pretty rare.  Does by nature, seem less afraid and are willing to stand around people's yards munching on plantings in broad daylight.

I see no difference in hunting the city vs. the country.  Hang a few trail cams, figure out where your best opportunity to arrow an animal is, then put in the time.  In my mind, an hour or two drive to your chosen spot doesn't make it a better hunt.  It just makes it easier for those who have less time to invest in hunting.  Everyone has their own ideas and values of what a good hunting experience entails.  There is no reason that we should all agree on what those intangibles are.  If that were the case, we might as well all drive the same cars, wear the same clothes, and like the same foods.

I say go for it.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline sled

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 11:42:46 AM »
You need to find out if the city you are planning on hunting considers archery gear a firearm.  Some do .  Then permission to hunt on the property you wish to hunt.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 01:45:02 PM »
The other consideration, as GBoyd pointed out, is that it would be prudent to be as invisible as possible to the public in your hunting/packing out activities.  It would only take one or two complaining old ladies standing in front of their city council meeting to effectively limit any future for hunting your area.  In before light, out after dark, or stashing and changing clothes in the woods would likely limit your visibility to passersby.  Having a good working plan in advance may remove any opportunity for a situation that might be worrisome or unconscionable for the non-hunting public.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]